Dana 44 Rear End Ratios

wjm7947

Bronze forum user
I have a Dana 44 in my 65 tiger I believe the rear end ratio is 3.38 at 60 MPH I'm turning about 3100 RPM. I'm looking for a lower gear ratio 2.72 or a little lower. Anyone with any suggestions? The 2.72 is no longer available.
THANK YOU

Erich

Gold forum user
2.72 is as low as they go. I have a set of 3.06 or 3.09 that I replaced with 2.72.

The 2.72's were stock on Jeep Wagoneers. I found mine at an on line junkyard specializing in Jeeps. They sold me the just the ring and pinion.
I had a driveline shop change out the gears. No noises, They make highway driving much more relaxing. Spirited driving in the twisties, not so much fun.

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Stock Gears Are 2.88

Tigers came from the factory with 2.88 gears in the rear end, and they are fairly easy to find. With 2.72 gears, one does wind up with higher gearing (lower engine speed for a given RPM), but only by about 5.6% above the 2.88 gears. At the same speed your tires has you at with the engine turning 3,000 rpm with 2.72 gears, the 2.88 would have the engine at about 3175 rpm.

Warren

Gold forum user
2 sets

Laying in my garage of 2.88's I don't see myself GT touring and spending nights in hotel and leaving car out. I guess I'm lazy and not willing to call and get a trip rating from the insurance company. It's going to be really hard to drive to Sacramento next year..

Gary aka Maliburevue told me that he found a vendor who sells new 2.72 gears to fit the rear end. After hearing tales of woe from the VP who say's he's been thru 2 or 3 used and noisy sets I'm going new parts. When we get a good contact info we'll post to the White pages.

wjm7947

Bronze forum user
Finally swapped gears

I ended up installing, in the Dana 44 rear end, 2.87 ratio with my 205x50x15 tires. I'm much happier on the road now.

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
That sounds like a good fit. I'm running the stock 2:88's with 205/60-13's and it gives an equivalent ratio (compared to stock tires) of around 3:10 or so.