California Association of Sunbeam Tiger Owners Forum

Go Back   California Association of Sunbeam Tiger Owners Forum > Tiger Technical - Personalized/Modified > Body
New Threads

Old 09-26-2013, 06:36 AM
Sponsoring Vendor
Member of C.A.T.

Default hardtop rear and side glass orders

Last year I coordinated the purchase of real glass rear and sides for our hardtops. I ordered a set and since I needed to pick it up took orders for others. Bob, Warren and others were a part of the purchase. Lee the glass guy is a nice guy and fellow Tiger owner. I am going to coordinate another run of rear glass. Glass will be clear only and laminated. Last run was 320 per three piece set so this run will be a similar price maybe 340 but I have not talked price with Lee.

Send me a pm if you want a set. This is a good deed and I will make no money. It will give me the opportunity to have a visit and lunch with my son in Hollywood

Last edited by leepear; 09-26-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:02 PM
Gold Forum Member
Member of C.A.T.

Default weight v plastic?

I'll either be in this purchase or be regretting it I'm sure.

Curious about the weight. Not for driving, but for removal, etc. Also, the top really seems to flex quite a bit. Any concern with the more rigid glass panels?

Thanks for the post / offer

Derek
Old 09-26-2013, 07:08 PM
Platinum Forum Member
Member of C.A.T.

Default glass

weight is a concern when using glass plus the extra weight wears the paint under the corner pads quicker.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:13 PM
Administrator
Member of C.A.T.

Exclamation Maybe? Maybe not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65beam View Post
weight is a concern when using glass plus the extra weight wears the paint under the corner pads quicker.
I agree that weight is a concern. An inquiring mind would ask how much difference. Has someone weighed their top? With glass and plastic plexiG? Easier did Lee weigh the new glass components vs. the stock windows?

Wear under the pads increase with weight? lots of factors involved there. How the Tiger is driven might be more important than the weight of the top.

Rick
Old 09-26-2013, 09:11 PM
Unobtanium Forum Member
Member of C.A.T.

FWIW, the early tops which are much lighter still do a fair job of damaging the paint, the vibration of the body and pressure of the rubber will always leave their mark.

More weight will obviously make it a little worse, but if you are not throwing the car around to much it shouldn't be to bad.

Michael King
1963 Alpine SII 1996>
1964 Tiger MKI 2009
1965 Alpine SIVGT 1994>
1965 Tiger MKI 2009-2012
1966 Tiger MKIA 2006>

Last edited by michael-king; 09-27-2013 at 05:38 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:07 AM
Silver Forum Member
Member of C.A.T.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the force from the clamps is far higher than the weight of the top. If you see the rubber pads compress further when the clamps are tightened, that is the proof.

That said, an empty top is heavy enough to move around the shop, not sure I want to add glass to the mix.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:50 PM
Platinum Forum Member
Member of C.A.T.

This is info I found for glass vs. acrylic or polycarbonate. The plastics appear to be lighter and stronger but left uncoated are terrible in regards to haze.
The following was gleaned from http://www.polyshields.com/main.html (NA)

Acrylic or polycarbonate is approximately half the weight of 1/4" laminated glass.

Where a "dart drop" test was performed on 1/4" thick material with a 5 pound steel dart with a 1" tip
acrylic withstood 7 ft lbs before failure
tempered glass 3.5 ft lbs
laminated glass 2 ft lbs

Abrasion Resistance (Test: ASTMD 1044 Z26.1 - Taber Abrator - 100 Revolutions - 500 gr. Load)
Glass 0.5 % Haze
Uncoated Polycarbonate 30.0% Haze

66 Tiger MK1A ---- 64 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
66 Norton Atlas 750 --- 65 Triumph Tiger 500
Old 09-27-2013, 03:49 PM
Platinum Forum Member
Member of C.A.T.

Default glass

when he makes the rear window does he make it with the contour of the original or is it flat? I had a set of door windows made for my harringtons so I would have spares and the local shop shipped them off to be tempered and they now have etching showing they are certified. does he do this?
Old 09-27-2013, 08:20 PM
CAT Vendor Manager
Member of C.A.T.

Default Not flat

Very nice although mine is under the bed and far down on the to do list.
The clamping tension along with the working and flexing of the car would my guess.
Having had convertibles all my life I always hated plastic curtain style windows you can't clean or leave in sun.
The glass windows are very well done by a pro and not some hack. If Lee the glass guy did not think they were a good product I'm sure he would not make em.
He is after all a Tiger caretaker as well and his car is his prototype.
They are not tempered they are as close to AS1 laminated but have no markings. I am amazed that a pin style onto the b post cap has not been tried with loose floating style clamps. Do SL Benz owners have the same problems?
I don't think any of us have gotten our tops together as we are spoiled So. Cal. Fair weather drivers. Bob is the closest to mounting I think.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:46 PM
Super Administrator
Member of C.A.T.

I use my top for all long trips. All the rubber is new and I even use a silicone paste under the pads.....still get marks. I really dont care as cars off of the boat I am sure had the same marks. Nothing like cruising down the road in close to freezing temps with the top on warm as a bug in a rug.
B382002037LRXFE, TAC #739, Born on 5/3/66
454 HP, 445 lbs/torque
Gentle as a kitten that will rip your face off when the right pedal is put to the floor.