hood will not release!

texastigert

Silver forum user
Ok! I bought this Alpine and got it home and now I can't get the hoop open!
any ideas?? Please advise, need some advise, other that using a stick of TNT.
Thanks, Tim

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Ok! I bought this Alpine and got it home and now I can't get the hoop open!
any ideas?? Please advise, need some advise, other that using a stick of TNT.
Thanks, Tim

Hi Tim:

We've all been there!! I usually bite the bullet and take the time to reach thru the grill with my 1/4" driver and unbolt the hinges from the bonnet. Not a fun time, but effective.

Twin Turbo Tiger

Gold forum user
Sorry to hear this and your not the first !!!
Like it was said take bolts out of front.
WHEN DONE PUT A SAFETY WIRE ON THE LATCH !!!!

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Generally a problem on sv and mkia tigers with the wire hood pull and not the rod. If the wire brakes you get this issue. As the others said unbolting the hinges is the solution, but once fixed add a second cable for the release to prevent it happening again. Good luck

Warren

Gold forum user
Secondary latch

I think the secondary latch strike is way too big and cut at least a 1/4 off of it . You have to be really careful when fitting a new or replacement hood as well. It is just part of the fun of these cars Tim how did you escape it for so long it seems lots of us fall into that hood catch stuck syndrome.

mr55s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
stuck hood

Years ago after watching my cable fray strand by strand I chose to borrow the hood release rod from a friends early car and make my own. It's not correct for my car but I like the early rod idea and trouble free. I've also heard of a coat hanger being bent with a hook at the end and inserting it through the cable hole from inside the car pulling the latch open. Worth a try at this point.
Brian

TAH_Tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Hood release

Years ago after watching my cable fray strand by strand I chose to borrow the hood release rod from a friends early car and make my own. It's not correct for my car but I like the early rod idea and trouble free. I've also heard of a coat hanger being bent with a hook at the end and inserting it through the cable hole from inside the car pulling the latch open. Worth a try at this point.
Brian[/QUOTE

If you know an electrician, ask to borrow a "electrical snake" which is used to pull wires through unexposed wall areas. It is actually only flat spring steel and a hook is fashioned into the end. It is much stronger than a coat hanger, and the hook won't bend.

texastigert

Silver forum user
Thanks, for all the input!

Thanks guys! After reading all the posts, the next day I studied my Tiger hood release area and the locking hardware and discovered what i need to do. I sheared a piece of .042 thick stainless X 3/4 wide and slid it under the hood, and this time pushed on anything that it hung up on, and "bam" the hood popped open. Got lucky! One thing I did do different this time, was have the pull cable, in the "release" position, it made it easier for the hood latch to release. Thanks, Tim

Doug C

Gold forum user
Thanks guys! After reading all the posts, the next day I studied my Tiger hood release area and the locking hardware and discovered what i need to do. I sheared a piece of .042 thick stainless X 3/4 wide and slid it under the hood, and this time pushed on anything that it hung up on, and "bam" the hood popped open. Got lucky! One thing I did do different this time, was have the pull cable, in the "release" position, it made it easier for the hood latch to release. Thanks, Tim

Nice to hear that it's open :)

bill37341

Bronze forum user
Hood release

Tim- you found my solution. Catch is- you have to be able to open the hood about 1/2" to be able to push back the catch.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
ok, my turn. After fighting for about 2 hours in the 100 degree heat I finally got the LAT hood to line up and look like it would shut. I gently clicked it so the safety catch caught, then it happened - would not release. The hood is propped open slightly so I may be able to fiddle around and push the catch, is it centered? Or off to one side? Thanks and proud to be in this group of hoodman. :)

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Real Bummer

You are lucky that the hood is slightly popped open. And that you have a fiberglass hood - more flexible than the steel hood. When I have had this problem, I was able to push on the back edge of the hood - not downward, but towards the front of the car. With a little bit of luck, the fiberglass will flex enough to shorten its overall length and the hood catch might slip away from the latch. Good luck!

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Thanks David - I did the "pull" trick and made a rod to slip in and pull on the latch - got it. Grrrrrr. May have a LAT hood for sale soon. haha

Doug C

Gold forum user
The things that occur just when you don't want it to happen... especially in100degree (dry heat) weather. Glad you got it open and have a great day..