CA DMV Back Fees not due!

Warren

Gold forum user
http://forums.aaca.org/f133/no-back-penalties-old-cars-california-313689.html

On one of the old beats the Mrs sent in a request to non op, since the registration was due in a couple of months the DMV said no and that you have to do it with the renewal and sent back the check. Well then she promptly forgot about it and when prepping the car from a long sleep we found they wanted 600 bucks in back fees even though the car had been stored off road.

I got the idea to research the problem from a Dan Walters post, "one of the benefits of reading every post and trimming and moving to new sub forums".

To make a long story short the link above provides vehicle code sections to be cited to the *$%^____ types at CA DMV and after much standing firm and pointing at the code the MRS paid 20 bucks and not 600.

How does this effect Tigers? well any number of things stop em in their tracks and they get parked. I just saw a 5 year sleeping Tiger with Vanity plates a couple weeks ago. When I axed the owner how did you non op a Vanity plate his eyes rolled like the car hadn't.....in years!
Well you know I will be sure to tell him.

Thanks Dan for the nudge,

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Any Time the laws are in your favor and THE MAN fails to tell you....

...Well, it was MY pleasure, Just glad to save some loot!

BTW, the OLD "DANSKAT" (plate, Blue) Black Tiger has been in NONOP for decades! :eek:

Good news, The Black and Yellow race Tiger has been pulled out of LONG term (since 2001) storage!

...along with the Black Tiger (parked since 2006)!!!

And, I did JUST renewed the DMV on the Red Tiger, again.... Maybe THIS year will see it on the road...:)

Also, I just picked up the latest Cal DMV Vehicle Code BOOK!

WOW!... THAT baby has grown since last time I bought one!:eek:

DW

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
fees

why do the residents of California allow the state to enact ridiculous regulations of this type?

Warren

Gold forum user
Just a FYI

The story was posted as a FYI and not a political rant. As she was waiting I got texts like I was there by proxy as they wiggled and resisted. Remember that old car guy PAC's did get these exclusions written into these laws and it survives by urban legend started by Dan and finished with informative power and fiat by the first guy to post up the exclusions. It seemed urban Legend as Dan had not cited code sections and his recollection of that the car's mfg being out of production and business.

It would be interesting to know if an exception could be made for the YOM program which specifically states that you cannot non op a YOM plate car.

Since the cars have become investments it seems that keeping insurance on em when in storage is a good idea, even though carriers took away comp only policies and limit parts coverage as personal property on home owner policies, and no I do not sell it anymore. Keeping a car registration up is not needed and I would rather pay the non op fee then fight DMV in a 2 hour visit to be sure..

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
fees

warren,
here in ohio we were able to buy historical plates that were good for as long as you owned the car if the car was 25 years old. I think I have 5 sunbeams with tags that I won't have to renew. they recently changed that to a 50 year limit. then you need to renew. in that length of time they don't even ask if you have insurance on the car since once the tags are issued there is no other contact with the DMV for the next 50 years. no yearly fee. it's lost until the tags come up for renewal and we also have no inspections of any kind so the DMV could care less. you can store it in a barn and let it rot away if you want. take it out 20 years later and drive it and put it away again for whatever length of time. i'll never understand California laws and rules. ohio recently passed a law that doesn't even allow red light cameras unless there is a cop setting there watching the photos being taken and then he has to pull the car over to issue the ticket. not outlawed but useless to cities. life is good.

Warren

Gold forum user
Hysterical plates

Yeah we got em too and it is a lot less money than the 90 is per year in fact it is similar to what you say you have. I just do not care for the butt ugly white plates, but may cheap out sooner then later and opt in now that I know how to do so. The DMV clerks had no idea whatsoever when I asked in the past for a historical plate app and and process, I suspect the clerk could not understand as it was a 1 a year transaction and or one they had not seen before. They do not understand their own rules period.

I live in Cali cause I can't afford to leave and I'm spoiled by the weather, oh and I do not trust air I can't see:cool:

Bob Knight

Gold forum user
CAT Member
YOM

Hey Warren,
I put a black and yellow YOM plate on my 65 Mustang, when I sent in for non op'd a couple years ago they didn't say anything and it's still non op'd.
My experience with the California government in general is that things are so complicated, the people who work there don't even know how it works, and if you don't like an answer you get - come back later and ask someone else, it'll probably be a different answer. Repeat until you get the answer you want.
Bob K.
B9471705

Warren

Gold forum user
Wahoo!

So P.O. of my new old car owed 588 bucks . I told him I'd rather throw the $ in a well then pay DMV. So pre purchase he goes down shows em the code sections I provided and they say OK to him.

2 weeks later I drift into AAA and they say the back fees are due see look at screen. Where is the Emojin with hair being pulled out, eek will have to do:eek:

So I make an appointment gather the seller who lives 5 min away from DMV go there and whammo no back fees just a calm explanation and a rubber stamp and I'm off to the races, well not exactly the home garage 588 of my dollars not thrown down a well in Sacramento:)

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
We just discussed this today at Cars and Coffee - a man there non op's his car years ago, last week he went to register it, he owed nothing for the reg but owed $38/yr for the personalized plate. So you still pay for the privilege of having that plate no matter what.