Powermaster generator/alternator

Hoghead

Gold forum user
I am fed up with the generator and going to change to an alternator. OTOH I like the stock look of the generator and a generator looking alternator seems a reasonable compromise

At 400.00 the Powermaster 821101-2 seems a no hassle way of using the existing bracketry, although I imagine that alignment will take a bit of shimming??

What to do with the 35A ammeter as this alt/gen will produce a max of 90A at full RPM and a claimed 65A at idle.
I imagine that a change to a voltmeter is the only choice

What to use as a stock looking voltmeter?

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
Robert

I've been working on having 'new' voltmeters made from my gauge supplier in the U.K. ... I will be offering both a MK1/1A and MKII style face. I should have the first shipment by the end of this month and will post them in my 'Hobby Vendor' thread

Jim

Hoghead

Gold forum user
Jim
Great and will discuss with you this summer when I am back in Canada

Any idea of the cost for a MK1 version

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
They're 'volt' gauges so have no 'amp' rating ...

This is a lo-rez sample drawing of pretty much how they will look. I also hope to have 'new' water temp, oil pressure and fuel gauges done from the original drawings sometime later this year

Hoghead

Gold forum user
I do not think that you are going to want to run a heavy enough gauge wire to carry 90A right over your knee and into a wooden dash.

A voltmeter is the way to go

TAH_Tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Voltmeter

I am fed up with the generator and going to change to an alternator. OTOH I like the stock look of the generator and a generator looking alternator seems a reasonable compromise

At 400.00 the Powermaster 821101-2 seems a no hassle way of using the existing bracketry, although I imagine that alignment will take a bit of shimming??

What to do with the 35A ammeter as this alt/gen will produce a max of 90A at full RPM and a claimed 65A at idle.
I imagine that a change to a voltmeter is the only choice

What to use as a stock looking voltmeter?

Contact Paul Breuhan, prbreuhan@hotmail.com and he can make you one like this.

Last edited:

CLIFF_MK1

Gold forum user
CAT Member
PWM Generator and Volt Meter

Here is a Summit 8201-2 and Mo-Ma voltmeter. It's a Ford Swing Mount Design which fits the stock Tiger generator mount like it was made for it. The volt meter was converted from my ampmeter. Cliff

Hoghead

Gold forum user
Here is a Summit 8201-2 and Mo-Ma voltmeter. It's a Ford Swing Mount Design which fits the stock Tiger generator mount like it was made for it. The volt meter was converted from my ampmeter. Cliff

That is the Powermaster unit I am thinking of
Did everything finally line up shim free - did you press the water pump pulley?

How to contact Mo Ma via email?

Doug C

Gold forum user

Cliff 2 questions

Do you have the actual part number to the "Summit 8201-2"? I looked at the Summit site using that number - got nothing - BUT it could have been me.

You mentioned Mo-Ma (New Mexico I think) any comments positive or negative? If you want you can PM me to keep your comments private. I am looking for a place to send all my gauges - and really only want to do it once.

Much appreciated - Doug

DD (CA)

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Just part numbers

Cliff 2 questions

Do you have the actual part number to the "Summit 8201-2"? I looked at the Summit site using that number - got nothing - BUT it could have been me - Doug

That's kind... But it was him (short a "1").

But if we averaged it with Hog's part number (a "1" too many), then we'd eventually get to...

82101-2

And if you run a search here for powermaster or alternator, you'll also find a number of good comments and installations.

I chickened out...but assume I'll be installing one sooner rather than later.

TAH_Tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Voltmeter

Use a Sunpro CP8215 or CP8205 for the mechanicals with an old gauge bezel and face. The graphics are the problem.

Bob Knight

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Voltmeter

I recently had all my gauges redone by Morris at West Valley Instruments in Reseda, and he made me a very convincing looking "Lucas" voltmeter.
Bob K.
B9471705

Doctorbugz

Bronze forum user
PowerGen Install

I put the two-wire version on my 331 stroker driver car, there were minimal fitting/alignment issues BUT be aware the lower side terminal is very close to the inner fender. I cut the stud down and have enough room on my application but your engine may sit lower and have some interference.

I called the tech guy at PowerGen and he said they could rotate the two side terminals to eliminate the interference if you ordered it directly from them.

The alternator works perfectly, it makes more current at idle than the old generator makes at redline.

Doug C

Gold forum user
Any update

Any update as to the generator looking alternator? Good or not so good.

Thanks - Doug

CLIFF_MK1

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Update

The Powermaster installed easily with a shim on one of the mounting bolts. One of the things I like about it is you can use the original generator mount which is nice looking. Haven't put a lot miles on it yet, but OK so far. Heard some negative stories about the Powermaster at Tigers United this June. One person said one had caught fire and another said two had prematurely failed. The Powermaster I got had the studs at about the same location as the original generator. Cliff

Hoghead

Gold forum user
I bought one from Summit and the studs are on the top. Fitted with minor shimming.
It remains to be seen how long it lasts...................

Doug C

Gold forum user
Alternator/Generator

I am about ready to bite the bullet and spend “big bucks” to get a Alternator that looks like a generator. And use my original bracket. I am planning (thinking) on using the Powermaster PowerGEN Alternator 82101-2. Is this the one that’s best or is there something else that i should explore? Any comments positive or negative would be appreciated.

Thanks - Doug

Bryan

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Don allen with gener-nator- just had mind done- yes a bit pricey-but using your generator housing- watch the video-2cents