C.A.T. Stainless Headers

Fordlandia

Silver forum user
CAT Member
I would like to know how the C.A.T. stainless headers hold up (color / discoloration wise) if they are not coated (e.g. no Jet Hot or other coatings).

If you have had your stainless headers on the car for a while, I'd appreciate a few photos of how they look after a fair amount of driving.

Thanks!

Bill

pitman

Bronze forum user
Thought I'd tag along this earlier post to save...er, headers space.

I'm replacing my MK1 260 with a rebuilt 289 from BlueMonkey and thought I'd use that pull as an excuse to upgrade my headers (the rest of my exhaust is already SS, from Rootes)...

However, I see that SS club headers are not currently available -- does anyone know if they will return, or if not, where I can get good-fitting SS headers?

Warren

Gold forum user
SS

Steven the SS could mean stainless steel or it could be Sunbeam Specialties.
Rick sells smaller diameter mild steel ones and CAT sells stainless steel ones.
The CAT parts manager Bill Graf got a call from me this morning.
Bill will update us shortly.
Anyone seeking parts from CAT would be best served to shoot Bill an email or call him. His email and links are on the main page.

BillG

CAT Parts Manager
CAT Member
CAT Stainless Headers

We’re finally making headway on getting headers back. The fixtures have been reworked, and are back at the vendor’s shop. We will be doing a new reference set first, checking to see that everything fits as we want it. We will then be making a rerun of 20-25 sets to begin with. I don’t have any information on date(s) we can expect to get them into stock, but will try to keep everyone up-to-date as it goes along.

Jon B

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Thank you Warren and Bill for the information. Is there a list I can get on to purchase a set when they're available? Thanks and happy holidays!

-Jon

norm1

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Fitted mine in the car finally yesterday.

No clearance problems with the chassis but I have some MORE beating on them for additional motor mount clearance.

Then will have the exterior ceramic coated.

Warren

Gold forum user
Production dates

Some sets sit for a long time before installation. Every one should read or listen to the advice to test fit before coating headers. The issues on previous sets hopefully won't come up again. Quality control is of paramount importance to the club.

My car came with S and S set and they hit the motor mounts a little but turn up the radio or step on the gas and the noise goes away :)

Customer service questions or comments should be sent to the parts manager, by email, P.M. or by phone not in this thread.

If you want extra large tube headers maybe consider Dale's new XXL ones.

norm1

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Yes, I had to relieve the motor mounts in a number of places in addition to heating and pounding of the header down tubes to eliminate interference in addition to welding the ports where they were were welded and then overground.

Of course was told at the time of receiving them that there were NO problems with others made at the time..............

pitman

Bronze forum user
Steven the SS could mean stainless steel or it could be Sunbeam Specialties.
Apologies for the ambiguity -- meant stainless steel.

Since Bill has reported there will be a new batch, I might be inclined to wait for them. In the past have they been installable without pulling the engine?

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Sanderson Headers

I don't know how much help this is, but back in the early 70s, I installed a pair of Sanderson headers onto my Tiger without pulling the engine. However, I did have to pull the heads. I believe the new C.A.T. stainless steel headers have bigger tubes than did the Sandersons. Also, there may be differences in how the tubes are routed. Good luck with yours!

norm1

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Apologies for the ambiguity -- meant stainless steel.

Since Bill has reported there will be a new batch, I might be inclined to wait for them. In the past have they been installable without pulling the engine?

I just test fit my engine/headers in the engine compt.. Was able to raise the engine into position from the floor with the driver's side motor mount and header installed.

The pass. side was another story. Even with motor mount and header bolted loosely, I could not get it in place. I had to remove the motor mount and header and work it back and forth to get it in place. The motor mount has to go through the opening between the down pipes at an angle also. .. .and all this is with the front suspension out.

So don't know if it is impossible but I would say improbable with the engine, trans and suspension in place.

In the early 80's, I heard the clutch could not be replaced with the engine in place. I did it but it sure wasn't easy......

pitman

Bronze forum user
Alas, my blue monkey 289 is on the way to the LA shipyard, so I've made the tough decision to go with the rootes non-stainless headers in order to avoid two shipments and engine pulls. On the plus side, I've a 15" Derale fan blade on the way and will be able to shim it all in place at the same time.

norm1

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Ceramic Coated CAT SS Headers

26240080_1697221350301238_5153493954172287833_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

DD (CA)

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Motor: BlueMonkey crate

Alas, my blue monkey 289 is on the way to the LA shipyard, so I've made the tough decision to go with the rootes non-stainless headers in order to avoid two shipments and engine pulls. On the plus side, I've a 15" Derale fan blade on the way and will be able to shim it all in place at the same time.

Pitman,
While I was searching for a long block or crate motor I came across the BlueMonkey site and even "stalked"* their property in PHX AZ area. Please do let us know any special particulars about the motor and/or if you could spec to order?
*Stopped in to chat, but the desk guy was tied up and I had a biz meeting to get to. Warehouse type place, lots of palletized motors.

Best of luck,

pitman

Bronze forum user
Please do let us know any special particulars about the motor and/or if you could spec to order?
We spoke on the phone for about 30mins. Seems like a nice bloke. He's been rebuilding engines for ?30 ?40 years -- it's all he does. All to order (up to 6 weeks lead time, but mine done in 4), and his site lists a variety of brand suggestions, so he's clearly open to specs.

I wasn't very particular above and beyond his 'standard' balanced mild performance rebuild of a 5-bolt bellhousing 289 -- I asked for no more than a 0.04" bore, a stainless bolt kit (that he ordered himself off of the eBay site I referred him to), treated wood for the crate as per Australian customs, originally was going to change color which he's happy to do but kept his trademark blue (all parts painted disassembled), ground shipping anywhere in the US is included. He put the engine into a smaller than normal crate thinking it'd save me on ocrean freight from LA to Australia, which it didn't for my shipping company but it was thoughtful of him.

CT Tiger

Silver forum user
So , I am just gonna jump in on this thread instead of eating up server space by starting a new one .
I have a pair of the last batch of Stainless CAT headers . I have not installed the new engine yet and would like to loose the remote oil filter . To anyone who is running these headers , what filter are you running ? Any issues with the install ?
Thanx

CLIFF_MK1

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I purchased from the last batch (SS) from CAT parts. Had them coated before fit, and then installed them with no fitment issues. Great headers and they still look like new (with coating) after some use (<2,000 miles). Cliff

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Test Fit Before Coating

It is always a good idea to do a test fit of any header before getting it coated. There are a lot of minor variations in Tigers and your Tiger might have suffered an accident and the repair might have tweaked something. So test fit just incase some adjustment is needed to the headers. It is usually a lot easier to adjust the header than adjusting the frame or body of your car.

Good luck!

CLIFF_MK1

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The WIX 51056 works with the CAT headers which are the SS headers last batch, apparently no longer available. This is a very small filter, but of good quality. It's a tight squeeze to remove if it's put on tight, so be careful, tight enough to not leak or come loose, but not so tight to remove.