California Association of Sunbeam Tiger Owners Forum

Go Back   California Association of Sunbeam Tiger Owners Forum > Other Rootes Vehicles > Alpines
New Threads

Old 03-29-2016, 05:52 AM
Forum Member

Default The Second Most Modified Alpine???

Maybe, maybe not. This is a project I've had going for a while now. Just got it running this weekend. I imagine there will be lots of boo's and hisses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJWl9UJfBgs

The full write up is here: https://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.ph...Sunbeam-Alpine
Old 03-29-2016, 07:01 AM
Gold Forum Member
Member of C.A.T.

Looks great. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:11 AM
Member of C.A.T.

Default Very Intersting Project

We have seen a Ford 427 dropped into an Alpine and I believe all of the inner fenders had to be removed and a tube frame utilized. Looks like you were able to put back modified inner fenders - great job! Should be a monster when done - hope your brother-in-law can keep the car pointed straight ahead when he gets on it - car might be a little squirrelly under full power! Maybe you or your brother can find someone to make some "Liger" scripts for the fenders, like the original Alpine (or Tiger) scripts.

We do like to keep the history of the Tiger accurate, and there were some things in your write-up that are not quite right. We don't want anyone to get the wrong impression.

The Tiger originally came with the Ford 260. Only the last 636 Tigers came with 289s, and that was after Chrysler Corp. bought out Rootes Group (including the Sunbeam line of cars). And Shelby was asked to make the first prototype for Sunbeam after one of the Sunbeam executives in the US saw the Cobra. The Cobra preceded the Tiger. You are right - Chrysler was not happy about selling a car with a Ford engine (the later 260 and all of the 289 Tigers came with Chrysler pentastars on the right front fender) and the Chrysler small block was too big to fit in the engine bay without a bunch of re-engineering, so production ceased in mid 1967.

Thank you very much for sharing your project with us. We will be anxious to see it as it comes along. It is looking GOOD.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:22 AM
Administrator
Member of C.A.T.

Default Awesome

Even with AC nice job no boo or hiss just purring .
Old 03-29-2016, 10:10 AM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyCat View Post
We have seen a Ford 427 dropped into an Alpine and I believe all of the inner fenders had to be removed and a tube frame utilized. Looks like you were able to put back modified inner fenders - great job! Should be a monster when done - hope your brother-in-law can keep the car pointed straight ahead when he gets on it - car might be a little squirrelly under full power! Maybe you or your brother can find someone to make some "Liger" scripts for the fenders, like the original Alpine (or Tiger) scripts.

We do like to keep the history of the Tiger accurate, and there were some things in your write-up that are not quite right. We don't want anyone to get the wrong impression.

The Tiger originally came with the Ford 260. Only the last 636 Tigers came with 289s, and that was after Chrysler Corp. bought out Rootes Group (including the Sunbeam line of cars). And Shelby was asked to make the first prototype for Sunbeam after one of the Sunbeam executives in the US saw the Cobra. The Cobra preceded the Tiger. You are right - Chrysler was not happy about selling a car with a Ford engine (the later 260 and all of the 289 Tigers came with Chrysler pentastars on the right front fender) and the Chrysler small block was too big to fit in the engine bay without a bunch of re-engineering, so production ceased in mid 1967.

Thank you very much for sharing your project with us. We will be anxious to see it as it comes along. It is looking GOOD.

I take no credit for the sheet metal work, or the upcoming body work. Those aren't my areas. The sheet metal turned out well beyond my expectations.

Thanks for the clarification on the Shelby story I heard and retold.

It's been made very clear that this is just a grocery getter for my sister-in-law.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:33 PM
Silver Forum Member
Member of C.A.T.

She'l be able to get those groceries REALLY fast! :-)
Old 03-29-2016, 11:03 PM
Gold Forum Member
Member of C.A.T.

Default Another plus

Bet we just found a jeep guy that knows his way around Dana 44 and conversions.

(Although he may not realize there's a diff between alpine and Tiger (pun) :-)

Intriguing, thanks for sharing.

Bummer you didn't put a Chrysler / Dodge Hellcat motor in there. Then we would have gone full historical circle on the Liger.

Good luck to you and SIL,

DD (CA)
www.lifeofti.com
Old 03-30-2016, 03:51 AM
Forum Member

I have played with a few D44's. These days they are too small for a lot of jeeps though. When I do swaps we usually go bigger than that. A 44 would have work well in this car, but for the price and ease of set up, this 9" has worked great so far. For the third, we're running a LS with 3.55 gears. To me that seems a bit low, but the calculator puts the highway speeds and rpm's in a good spot.

I finished the rear swaybar mounts last night and now need to build rear bump stop mounts. After that it should be ready for tear down and paint. I really hope to be driving it this summer.
Old 04-03-2016, 02:57 PM
Platinum Forum Member
Member of C.A.T.

Nice car other than the brand X motor choice. That's sacrilegious. Like putting a Chevy in a Cobra kit car. Just my opinion.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:56 AM
Forum Member

These days I think it's the norm. I'd be willing to bet that most hot rods today, ford included, are built with your brand X's motors in them. There's a reason for that.