Battery from Home Depot

Warren

Gold forum user
I'm sure everyone's had the same thing happened you go out to the car and click click click nothing no go go.

I remember buying my last battery three years and four months ago and shopping at Costco then seeing them at Home Depot and going wow look at this they say 40 month free replacement and it's cheaper.

Well I'm not the best with batteries it's not like I leave my lights on all the time but I do have an amplifier/boom box that easy to forget cuz it's hardwired to the battery, I've left it on several times and run the battery completely flat.

Well that didn't happen this time but it was two weeks since I've driven the car.
It wouldn't hold a charge and I had forgotten what it said on the side of the battery but took it in the Home Depot anyway and under close inspection was pleasant to read free replacement warranty printed on the case .
Most every other battery I had has been have been prorated when it fails and I end up getting $12 or $15 after a huge amount of trouble returning a battery.
They didn't even press me for a receipt but I said I'd be happy to go home and look through my credit card bills for a free battery. They said take a new battery thank you very much. Costco does not carry group 24 batteries anymore from what I can tell since they changed the Interstate brand but the good news is Interstate has changed their battery containers away from the white plastic and Green Top. Its still a little less expensive at Home Depot and you can't beat that free replacement without being prorated.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
A kill switch or just disconnect the battery when parked for periods of time may help. I am still on my same battery in my Shelby and it's from 2009, I disconnect it every time I park it for a day or more.....it seems to help. Good info on the HD battery.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Ive got an optima battery, been in the car since 2003. I have a kill switch and turn it off even when just parked. The tiger doesnt do many kms and often short trips so every 2 months i try and go on a long drive or down a freeway for an hour to just top up the battery with eaay constant rpm charge.

Warren

Gold forum user
Plan

I'd like to get one of those pretend big giant Lucas battery cases and then put a smaller battery to run the clock and interior lights and have it be right next to the starting battery with a off switch. This would act as stage dressing because if somebody came in put a screwdriver in the ignition lock twisted over really hard all they would get its click click click like a dead battery.
I don't like the idea of having to open trunk lift up false floor every time either.
I don't run an under dash radio with electronic memory but I sure wouldn't like to reset the clock every time I get in the car.
I have a pretty big boom and leaving it on by mistake and using it when parked and in garage happens often too. I have gotten 5 years out of most all batteries except for those on the new cars, those last 1 month past the 3 years or 36,000 miles.

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Fake Lucas Battery

The battery within what appears to be a Lucas battery is different from typical lead-acid batteries. I learned the hard way that a normal trickle charger should not be used on such a battery. The company that sells these batteries also sells a charger they recommend be used on these batteries. By the way, that charger can be used on typical lead-acid batteries.

When I realized that I had messed up my battery, I tried to recover it using the procedure that the seller provides with their batteries. It did not appear to work, so I ordered a new one and a charger. While waiting for it, I tried to recover my old battery again, and this time it worked. The recovery method requires a charger with at least a 40 amp rating as I recall. Fortunately, a friend had one which I could borrow. I owe many thanks to him for the use of that high amp charger.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I don't like the idea of having to open trunk lift up false floor every time either.
there are a few places to.hide the switch do you dont have to open the boot ( trunk) .. Easier on an alpire though with the battery inside the car..

As for clocks..... Thats what watches are for... Amd now im told mobile phones.... But now your watch is a phone ..... Oh maybe a small sun dial :rolleyes:

Warren

Gold forum user
Scuttlebut

We have heard that the young ones don'y know how to read an analog clock. I love mine and it's the beating heart when the car is parked and it's quiet and nothing but the surrounding city asleep and that darn garage fridge is tween cycles. I'd like to not open the trunk every time I need to shut the battery. Kevin where's the relay wiring and idea you suggested. Can a picture be posted of the fake Lucas battery or shell so guys can see what we are talking about? I'n not interested in the old vent tubing but that'd be nice for those who haven't seen it.

TAH_Tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Battery disconnect

Warren,
Bypass any battery disconnect with a small jumper wire and very low amp inline fuse and you'll still be able to hear your clock between fridge cycles. When the clock stops, you'll know you forgot to turn on the battery before the ignition.:D

Warren

Gold forum user
Thanks Tom

That's what I have done previously. For comparison I had to put a radio into every car I got until 2008 when I got my first new car.

Kevin was talking some sexy set up with relays and it just sounded cool.