Wiper switch wiring

ojxxx

Silver forum user
I have what looks to be an original switch, none of the wires are connected, the harness had been removed. The terminal numbers on the switch do not correspond to the schematic, the terminals are numbered: 1, 4, 6, 7 & 8; the schematic show wires to terms 1,2,3 & E. I've searched the web without luck and check the archives on this site. Perhaps one of you has rewired his switch and can help?
Thanks Oj

Warren

Gold forum user
2 best sources

The big red owner's manual and a plastic laminated CAT parts dash diagram, it's like a place mat size item.

ojxxx

Silver forum user
The big red owner's manual and a plastic laminated CAT parts dash diagram, it's like a place mat size item.

I have the manual and a 'Prospero's Garage production' laminated schematic for the '64-66 Tiger, the 'CAT parts dash diagram' is different? Can you give the switch pinout from it so I can button the dash up?
Thanks, Oj

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
March/April 2016 Tiger Tales

The March/April 2016 edition of the Tiger Tales covered the wiring for the wiper switch in detail. Here is a list of what is connected to each spade on the back of the wiper switch. Please note that not every number has a corresponding spade.
1 – No wire
2 – No spade
3 – Brown w/ Light Green stripe (NLG) wire
4 – No spade
5 – No spade
6 – Black (B) wire
7 – Red w/ Light Green stripe (RLG) wire
8 – No wire

And here is a diagram of what the back of the wiper switch. It is shown in the "as installed" position, with the numbers upside down.

Attachments

• Wiper_SwitchA.jpg
    Wiper_SwitchA.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 150

ojxxx

Silver forum user
The March/April 2016 edition of the Tiger Tales covered the wiring for the wiper switch in detail. Here is a list of what is connected to each spade on the back of the wiper switch. Please note that not every number has a corresponding spade.
1 – No wire
2 – No spade
4 – No spade
5 – No spade
6 – Black (B) wire
8 – No wire

And here is a diagram of what the back of the wiper switch. It is shown in the "as installed" position, with the numbers upside down.

Yes! that is it exactly. Isn't there a 'Park' action where a 'ground' wire is introduced?
I really do appreciate you taking the time to help, very good of you.
Thanks, Oj

ojxxx

Silver forum user
1 – No wire
2 – No spade
4 – No spade
5 – No spade
6 – Black (B) wire
8 – No wire

Now that I look at it further, the supply wire - Green, from the switched fuse - is missing and that #6 Black might be the 'ground' to park the wipers? Depending on the switch position 1 & 6 have continuity, 6 & 8 have continuity, maybe to reverse polarity to reverse the motor into 'Park'?
I'm cautious about just connecting the wires to try it as I do not want to risk burning up the switch, it really is the original switch.

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Switch Versus Motor

Oj,

When you are looking at the wiring diagram from the Rootes Workshop Manual, you might be mixing the wiper switch for the wiper motor. Check your diagram carefully. (I am not familiar with the Prospero Garage laminated wiring diagram, so I can not say how that shows the motor versus the switch.)

For some reason, when they drew the wiring diagram, they drew the motor as a rectangle and the switch as round. But they are labeled. According to the diagrams (for all three versions - Mk 1, MK 1A, and Mk II) the "hot" green wire (from the fuse box) goes to the motor first. The diagram shows it landing on terminal 1. On the motor, the wire on terminal 2 is the red with a light green tracer. From terminal 2, it goes to spade 7 on the wiper switch. On the motor, the wire on terminal 3 is the brown with a light green tracer and it goes to spade 3 on the switch.

I hope this helps and good luck in getting your car back together.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Barnyard Method

Gee, I just grab some fuses for a temp fuse link and start plugging & unplugging until it works like it should. A comfy seat & beverage of choice w/mild background tunes helps a lot . . . . . .:D

ojxxx

Silver forum user
Oj,

When you are looking at the wiring diagram from the Rootes Workshop Manual, you might be mixing the wiper switch for the wiper motor. Check your diagram carefully. (I am not familiar with the Prospero Garage laminated wiring diagram, so I can not say how that shows the motor versus the switch.)

For some reason, when they drew the wiring diagram, they drew the motor as a rectangle and the switch as round. But they are labeled. According to the diagrams (for all three versions - Mk 1, MK 1A, and Mk II) the "hot" green wire (from the fuse box) goes to the motor first. The diagram shows it landing on terminal 1. On the motor, the wire on terminal 2 is the red with a light green tracer. From terminal 2, it goes to spade 7 on the wiper switch. On the motor, the wire on terminal 3 is the brown with a light green tracer and it goes to spade 3 on the switch.

Aha! Yes, I see it now and it all makes perfect sense. I was having a time 'squaring the hole' back to the operation description where it said it had an internal limit switch on the ground side to do the 'parking', I couldn't see how that was possible with the supply voltage coming from the toggle switch, I thought thye must have been doing apolarity reversal or something in a DPDT switch - but with the voltage going to the motor it makes perfect sense. Thank you again, your patience is unparalleled! Oj

ojxxx

Silver forum user
Gee, I just grab some fuses for a temp fuse link and start plugging & unplugging until it works like it should. A comfy seat & beverage of choice w/mild background tunes helps a lot . . . . . .:D

Background tunes of choice would be either 'Mountain, New Years concert at the Filmore' or 'The Brian Setzer Orchestra, Live' at full volume. Working on one of these things is not for the easy listeners!

ojxxx

Silver forum user
Oj,

I connected it per the above and its working fine. Now for the turn signals...
Thanks for all the help, Oj

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Tunes

Background tunes of choice would be either 'Mountain, New Years concert at the Filmore' or 'The Brian Setzer Orchestra, Live' at full volume. Working on one of these things is not for the easy listeners!

Try the 'Black & White Night' w/Roy Orbison & some friends :rolleyes:

ojxxx

Silver forum user
Oj,

Glad it all worked out for you. Good luck with the turn signals.

I have the turn signals working! I used the mechanical switch part from a Triumph? as it had the same casting number on the original base plate that was broken. I had to make a horn contact arm mount but it all worked out, self cancelling and everything!
There is a mess of little moving parts and springs and stuff in them switches, a fella might think they are overly complicated.
The odd part is the pigtails I wound up with has male to male bullet connectors for 2 of the wires, I have alligator jumpers on them to troubleshoot and will make a female to female connector patch, 2-3" long so all of the original connectors are undisturbed.
The original steering wheel is gone and I had to make all the horn actuating stuff and 'paddles' at 4 & 8 o'clock to make the horn toot. Looks good but I'm told to replace the steering wheel for smaller diameter, dunno if my horn stuff will go to the new wheel. Oh well.
Thanks again for the good cheer and help, Oj