Identification VIN decoding

AshUK

Silver forum user
Thanks for all and any help , have e mailed info as suggested.
Have worked on the car for orignal owner since 1967, and then purchased from his widow, I stored the car away since 1982 with 450 thousand miles, it was his dayly driver from new.
He claimed he purchased the car in Germany while he was stationed there in the army.
I just pulled out of storage after all these years and just wanted to get more data, like color, date built and confirm his story if it was shipped to Germany.
My sons put the pressure on me to pull it out and do something with the car.

Hi Dom

We would all love to see some pictures of your car in its current condition:)

Moondoggie

Gold forum user
Get some dirty engine oil. put it in a metal pan and heat it.. then place your socket in it.. leave it for a while in there letting it cook away.. then remove.. you will have the correct black finish and it impregnates the surface.

I was kinda hoping you would have a NOS socket that I could talk you out of...:D The plan is to strip and replate the sucker so it's on my bucket list somewhere down there....

Moondoggie

Warren

Gold forum user
tool kit

Please post a close up of tool kit. Mostly I find cycle tools as well as German ones when cullingestate sale crap.
Looking for Hazet screwdriver for my VW kit.

Moondoggie

Gold forum user
Please post a close up of tool kit. Mostly I find cycle tools as well as German ones when cullingestate sale crap.
Looking for Hazet screwdriver for my VW kit.

Warren...

Here you go !!! The spark plug socket comes in two versions Black oxide
for the early MK1's and Chrome for the later Tigers. Other than that change I believe the rest of the tools remained the same. Also the plastic pouch
is correct for all Tigers.
Moondoggie

Last edited by a moderator:

XTIGERX

Gold forum user
The spark plug socket comes in two versions Black oxide for the early MK1's and Chrome for the later Tigers. Other than that change I believe the rest of the tools remained the same. Also the plastic pouch
is correct for all Tigers.

The klines/pliers look much shorter than the pair I have. These look to be around 4"? Mine are almost double in length.

Rather than using the oil treatment mentioned previously there is a product available to blacken ferrous metals but won't work on chrome.

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
Universal truth?

The early Mk1's were finished in black oxide
and the later sockets were plated in Chrome. Moondoggie

Just curious, what is the source of that representation?

FWIW, the socket in my tool set in my Mark IA (VIN ...1447) has an oxide finish. The socket has some numbers stamped in it: Z6798. And the tool set is original to the car, since it was in the car I bought new in 1967.

Anyone else with a tool set original to a Mark IA or MarkII that also has a black oxide coated spark plug socket?

Gene

Moondoggie

Gold forum user
Just curious, what is the source of that representation?

FWIW, the socket in my tool set in my Mark IA (VIN ...1447) has an oxide finish. The socket has some numbers stamped in it: Z6798. And the tool set is original to the car, since it was in the car I bought new in 1967.

Anyone else with a tool set original to a Mark IA or MarkII that also has a black oxide coated spark plug socket?

Gene

Okay....apparently I didn't have it quite right. As for the finish on the socket
there were two types black oxide and chrome. Black oxide was used in MK1 MK1a MkII's. Mixed in with the MK1's only is the chrome plated socket. So Gene yours is correct. Given that the chrome socket in a MKI would be a rather rare
item. I verified this with the man who wrote the BOOK.....

Moondoggie

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
Thanks Moondoggie,

I just wanted to be sure. There is always the possibility that the dealer pulled a little slight of hand on my purchase. It had not gone all that smoothly, including that it took them about 4 months to find me the color I wanted. When I picked up the car and drove away, I noticed the speedo was disconnected and circled back to get that fixed. Years later I was surprised to learn the car had been delivered with MarkII seats! Not a big deal for me, but a surprise never the less. But all is well that ends well.

Gene

dom forte

Bronze forum user
Here is the pictures you have been waiting for...

DSC02720.jpg

DSC02721.jpg

DSC02722.jpg

DSC02723.jpg

DSC02724.jpg

DSC02725.jpg

DSC02726.jpg

DSC02727.jpg

DSC02730.jpg

DSC02731.jpg

dom forte

Bronze forum user
Are there any other cars on the forum built on a sunday, or is there a count on how many , this seems strange to me norman said the date was dec,6,1964.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Dom,

you wanted to know about what parts might be missing/incorrect on the car, the pics have helped:

Dash: the ammeter is non sunbeam, water temp gauge is off a later alpine/tiger, the clock is a later alpine/tiger unit, the large warning light is where the cigar lighter or blanking plate should be, the blanking plate for the alpine choke hole is filled with a switch (the middle of the 3 switches) The steering wheel and boss are non sunbeam.

Engine bay: non original air cleaner, manifold, oil breather cap, engine fan, alternator, oil filter location, distributor.

The shifter appears to be a hurst aftermarket item.

On the exterior the side trim is missing, the bonnet scoop and hood pins are obviously non original, the reversing light a similar to the original optional WIPAC units, but they are not the correct ones.

obviously things like the door trims etc are missing, but thought some of the detail stuff might help.

On the things like the clock, manifold and carb etc, they are not parts that are negatives, so don't throw them away. The correct clocks are very hard to get, and its possible this one may have been fitted at a dealer a few years after purchase, the temp gauge would be easy to get as would the ammeter, though your current setup when working probably puts out more than 30.

Looks like a good project car

are

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Good Project

Experienced eyes say this one will keep you busy for a while. . .good going. Where are you located ? Tiger guyz nearby might chip in .