More Sad News

at the beach

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I've just learned that another former Tiger racer, Lew Spencer, has recently passed away. Lew died last week from complications from Alzheimer’s.

Lew raced the Shelby American Tiger in 1964 during which time he was the Chairman of the SCCA's rules committee. These were the policemen of sports car racing in the USA. Lew often frustrated his crew by restraining them when they wanted to explore the grayish areas of the rule book. In 1965 Tiger racer Don Sesslar (who passed away just several weeks ago) took over Lew's job and proceeded to follow in Lew's footsteps by also reigning in his crew's "creativity". Two men with integrity.

Lew stayed associated with Carroll Shelby for over 30 years. After the 1965 season he decided to stop racing "cold turkey". When he quit he really quit. When asked why, he replied, "I know if I get back in a race car I'll love it so much I'll never be able to stop." However he didn't stop enjoying sailboat racing and frequently made himself available to all after the races at Santa Monica Yacht Club in Marina del Rey.

His wife's business interests forced them to relocate and forced Lew to leave Shelby American. Carroll took the separation hard. The Spencer's settled in Frisco, Texas, where Lew took up rowing.

Lew was a great guy. And like Don, will certainly be missed.

Buck Trippel