My '65s story

maxwell smart

Bronze forum user
There is a long back story, but here is the shorter version. My dad and I built this ’65 Sunbeam Tiger a few years ago. It was about the only thing we could to together at the time and not kill each other while doing it. He passed away almost 6 years ago, and the car stayed with my step mom for that time. My 50th birthday was last month and she shipped it out to me as a birthday gift. I was totally blown away and surprised!
It’s a 1965 Sunbeam Tiger with a 331 stroker. Edelbrock aluminum heads, rollers and all the good parts. He did all the mechanical and I took care of the body and paint. It won a bunch of awards when we finished it, but has been sitting for about 10 years. After some freshening up and fluid changes it is back on the road!
This car has so many great memories attached. It is bitter sweet to be driving it with out my dad to share it with. However, my son is really enjoying learning all about it. He was never really into my '66 Dart…he just sees it as a car that needs work.

kMH13qG

Attachments

• Resized952019080495174406.jpg
    Resized952019080495174406.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 155

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thank You for Sharing

What a wonderful story, although it is bittersweet. Always glad to hear about another Tiger getting back on the road. Like all collectible cars, it will require maintenance and looking after. Hopefully your son will want to share in that like you helped your dad in the building of the car. Happy Tigering!

And thank you for sharing your story.

p.s. - It looks like your stepmother did a great job of not letting the car deteriorate while in her care. Kudos to her!

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Congrats on the car and cherish the memories. I noticed more than a passing resemblance to a Tiger owned by the Brunk family. From what I can remember, the wheels, hood, and motor are almost identical. Nice car! Kirk

ps- I just looked at more pictures of the Brunk Tiger and your car has the same roll bar, as well as the same hood vents...any relation to the Brunks?

Last edited:

Warren

Gold forum user
Welcome

Is that a under hood light? These cars never break down don't those go on Alpines ;)

maxwell smart

Bronze forum user
Congrats on the car and cherish the memories. I noticed more than a passing resemblance to a Tiger owned by the Brunk family. From what I can remember, the wheels, hood, and motor are almost identical. Nice car! Kirk

ps- I just looked at more pictures of the Brunk Tiger and your car has the same roll bar, as well as the same hood vents...any relation to the Brunks?

Yes sir, I am Rich's son.

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Glad you found your way to this forum. Sorry to hear about your dad. It was TU in Bakersfield in June of 1996 that I saw your car and met your dad. You guys did a great job on that car! Hope it brings you many more years of enjoyment. Kirk

maxwell smart

Bronze forum user
Glad you found your way to this forum. Sorry to hear about your dad. It was TU in Bakersfield in June of 1996 that I saw your car and met your dad. You guys did a great job on that car! Hope it brings you many more years of enjoyment. Kirk

Kirk,
Thanks for the kind words. It was a really fun project and we made some great memories with the car. I was honored to get it back running for dad before he passed. Taking him for one last ride is something I will never forget.

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Kirk,
Thanks for the kind words. It was a really fun project and we made some great memories with the car. I was honored to get it back running for dad before he passed. Taking him for one last ride is something I will never forget.

Yes, sweet memories to last a lifetime. My Dad and I, after a lifetime of riding motorcycles together, took one last ride to the Rock Store before he passed, and it is indelibly etched in my memory. Kirk