California Association of Sunbeam Tiger Owners Forum

Go Back   California Association of Sunbeam Tiger Owners Forum > Tiger Technical - Personalized/Modified > Brakes, Wheels and Tires
New Threads

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 07-31-2017, 03:50 PM
65beam 65beam is offline
Platinum Forum Member
Member of C.A.T.
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 818
Default calipers

I bought the Cardone calipers for the Capri. Part # 19-244 and #19-245. They are the same on the bolt pattern but these have small ears on the inside of both halves that prevent them from sliding over the rotor. I cut these ears off and the left side is now mounted. I'm going to remove it and rebuild a set of calipers from my stock. Brake line threads in the Capri caliper are metric so I picked up a set of adaptors from Bob's Brake Lines in Cincinnati to eliminate that problem. Other than the extra ears they look identical to the Sunbeam unit.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-31-2017, 04:03 PM
HolyCat HolyCat is offline
Platinum Forum Member
Member of C.A.T.
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Posts: 679
Default Why Go Back to Stock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65beam View Post
I bought the Cardone calipers for the Capri. Part # 19-244 and #19-245. They are the same on the bolt pattern but these have small ears on the inside of both halves that prevent them from sliding over the rotor. I cut these ears off and the left side is now mounted. I'm going to remove it and rebuild a set of calipers from my stock. Brake line threads in the Capri caliper are metric so I picked up a set of adaptors from Bob's Brake Lines in Cincinnati to eliminate that problem. Other than the extra ears they look identical to the Sunbeam unit.
I was just wondering what lead you to the decision to go back to the stock calibers after buying the Cardones and modifying them to fit?

It is nice that you let people know what it takes to fit the Cardones and listed the appropriate part numbers. Thanks for sharing!
__________________
David
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-31-2017, 06:57 PM
65beam 65beam is offline
Platinum Forum Member
Member of C.A.T.
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 818
Default calipers

There's an old saying in these hills. " A happy wife makes for a happy life". Since the car belongs to her and Doug rebuilt a late cross member for it she decided we need to use what was original. Her comment was something like "They had to be modified to make them fit so will everything else work right". Time to do some rebuilding. She just said something about not wanting to do more work on the fiber glass part of the car if a brake problem were to pop up.

Last edited by 65beam; 07-31-2017 at 07:00 PM. Reason: add
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-31-2017, 07:27 PM
Hoghead Hoghead is offline
Gold Forum Member
Member of C.A.T.
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 190
Default

Girling changed the bolt centres as you have discovered and we need the earlier version. I have a big Healey and it the same as the Tiger, as are a lot of Girling brakes of the same era

I have freed impossibly stuck pistons using a steel line x zerk fitting and lots of grease gun pressure. Be sure to get all the grease out when done

Pug callipers are next to impossible to find this side of the pond

I am sure it is written here, but back in the day we used 240Z pads as the corners are filled in yielding about 20% greater surface area.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-31-2017, 07:54 PM
norm1 norm1 is offline
Gold Forum Member
Member of C.A.T.
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 240
Default

Going to have my originals rebuilt now.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoghead View Post
Girling changed the bolt centres as you have discovered and we need the earlier version. I have a big Healey and it the same as the Tiger, as are a lot of Girling brakes of the same era

I have freed impossibly stuck pistons using a steel line x zerk fitting and lots of grease gun pressure. Be sure to get all the grease out when done

Pug callipers are next to impossible to find this side of the pond

I am sure it is written here, but back in the day we used 240Z pads as the corners are filled in yielding about 20% greater surface area.
__________________
'67 MK II
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-31-2017, 10:07 PM
HolyCat HolyCat is offline
Platinum Forum Member
Member of C.A.T.
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Posts: 679
Default Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65beam View Post
There's an old saying in these hills. " A happy wife makes for a happy life".
I understand perfectly. Been there, done that!

At least it wasn't due to a problem with the Cardones.
__________________
David
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-01-2017, 12:35 AM
steven steven is offline
Platinum Forum Member
Member of C.A.T.
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Brisbane QLD Australia
Posts: 610
Default

The Brembo duel piston calipers from a Pug 206 coupe option is discussed on the Brits tiger forum. With a spacer the disc and calipers from Brembo fit the Tiger
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-01-2017, 08:06 AM
Hoghead Hoghead is offline
Gold Forum Member
Member of C.A.T.
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven View Post
The Brembo duel piston calipers from a Pug 206 coupe option is discussed on the Brits tiger forum. With a spacer the disc and calipers from Brembo fit the Tiger
Very difficult to find in N America as are the 4 piston Pug Brembos
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-12-2017, 01:36 PM
norm1 norm1 is offline
Gold Forum Member
Member of C.A.T.
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 240
Default

Apple Hydraulics rebuilt my originals, $195 + postage, 11 day mail-mail turnaround.....they look great.


Quote:
Originally Posted by norm1 View Post
Just went to finally install them with my suspension rebuild and the C-C mounting distance that s/b 3.25" is 3.5"............
__________________
'67 MK II
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
California Association of Sunbeam Tiger Owners