Los Lunas MK1

Forrest39

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thanks for the update and the pictures Cliff!
Is that a courier brake master? Did you have issues installing it? I am wondering about how you dealt with the front rear distribution with a 2 circuit system (I'm guessing from the pictures...).
The new wheels look awesome as do the brakes.
I look forward to more progress pictures and updates. Well done!
Cheers, -Kevin

CLIFF_MK1

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thanks for the kind words everyone! Kevin, yes the MC is a Ford Courier, '72 - 74 with a .750 bore. It just needed some minor filing to fit up to the Tiger pedal shaft. From what I understand an adjustable proportioning valve is necessary on a front disk-rear drum setup, but can be optional on a 4 disk setup. Some Tiger owners have posted that they didn't use an adjusting valve, and this is probably because of the similar length, tire size, etc. of the Tiger. We didn't install one yet. It probably wouldn't hurt to have one. It's important not to have a residual pressure valve with disk brakes. Maybe some other members have had experience with this question. Cliff

CLIFF_MK1

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Los Lunas Tiger Finished!

In October of 2014, I hauled the 1964 Tiger from behind the woodpile to finally fix it up. When I saw the extent of deterioration, rust and need for fabrication needed, I decided what was needed was beyond my skill set. In retrospect, I was very lucky to develop a relationship with Jim Hardyman of Color Me Crazy Hotrods, a local craftsman (Los Lunas) who restores muscle cars. Although this was his first Tiger, we were able to develop a working relationship. I did the research, chased parts and made sure the Tiger was restored with respect to Sunbeam.

The goal of the restoration was to keep the best aspects of the Tiger, which basically was most of the car, but improve the limitations, which were few. This involved replacing the front suspension with a suspension with out the problems which have been described (Dale's). The gears in the transmission were changed to wide ratio which makes the car more responsive on the street. The rear end was changed to a Ford 9 inch with Tru-Trac and ability to have 5 lug wheels. The stock dana is adequate but I didn't have a good one, and the 9 inch is stronger and easier to work on. The stock Tiger 13 inch wheels and 4 lug axles were really made for a 4 cylinder Alpine and are marginal on a Tiger which makes higher horsepower than the stock 260. The engine was changed to a later model small block with increased power. A Miata will not out run this Tiger! Other mods included replacing the wiring with adequate fuses, dual master cylinder brakes with improved 4 wheel disk brakes and tires which match the horse power potential of the engine. The beauty of the MKI Tiger was respected by keeping the exterior and interior stock. The pictures accompanying the past posts were lost, but photos of the restoration are available on my album (just click my name).

The Tiger was finished in time for the Supernationals in Albuquerque on February 3-5, 2017. It was the only Tiger and drew much more interest and attention than I expected. Comments made include how rare Tigers were, and how many people knew about them, and, of course, it was Maxwell Smart's ride. Out of 180 cars it won 1st in Sports cars (ahead of a Jaguar XK and a Porsche 911) and Sweepstakes Award for Sport (with $200). I started this just wanting to get the Tiger on the road, and now that is possible. Hope to see everyone who can come to Tiger United in June. Cliff

Attachments

• EMSHOW1.jpg
    EMSHOW1.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 238
  • EMSHOW2.jpg
    EMSHOW2.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 254
  • EMSHOW5.jpg
    EMSHOW5.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 236
  • EMSHOW6.jpg
    EMSHOW6.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 229
  • EMSHOW4.jpg
    EMSHOW4.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 222
  • EMSHOW7.jpg
    EMSHOW7.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 232
  • EMSHOW8.jpg
    EMSHOW8.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 230
  • EMSHOW10.jpg
    EMSHOW10.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 247
  • EMSHOW11.jpg
    EMSHOW11.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 229
  • SHOWPOSTER.jpg
    SHOWPOSTER.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 227

Forrest39

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Absolutely beautiful Cliff!

I wanted to paint my Tiger this exact color. It's stunning.

Now go get it dirty!!!!!
Cheers, -Kevin

Hoghead

Gold forum user
Thanks for the kind words everyone! Kevin, yes the MC is a Ford Courier, '72 - 74 with a .750 bore. It just needed some minor filing to fit up to the Tiger pedal shaft. From what I understand an adjustable proportioning valve is necessary on a front disk-rear drum setup, but can be optional on a 4 disk setup. Some Tiger owners have posted that they didn't use an adjusting valve, and this is probably because of the similar length, tire size, etc. of the Tiger. We didn't install one yet. It probably wouldn't hurt to have one. It's important not to have a residual pressure valve with disk brakes. Maybe some other members have had experience with this question. Cliff

A rear proportioning valve, while not the panacea to balance issues, will compensate for front bias balance in a single MC system. You will find that your brakes will work a lot better, if you install one.

CLIFF_MK1

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I've been thinking about that. Haven't been able to try the brakes out yet. Reason I didn't put the valve in was there are comments from other folks who said their's worked well without it. Thanks for the advice.

Hoghead

Gold forum user
I've been thinking about that. Haven't been able to try the brakes out yet. Reason I didn't put the valve in was there are comments from other folks who said their's worked well without it. Thanks for the advice.

M/C is a Courier at .75" but what are you using for front and rear brakes?

There are lots of choices, and Wilwood is a popular valve, with a slope of .37, and various inputs and mounting arrangements. You may wish to get one with a flare fitting to make your plumbing simple.

I have had one mounted inside the cockpit on the transmission tunnel where the line passes through the cabin for decades, but the Authorities will frown on it being within reach, and prone to passenger fingering.
Best to have it out of reach as for street use, once set is is usually not touched again

Doug C

Gold forum user
Cliff - very nice and it motivated me to have along discussion with my body man - he's not happy with you for showing these photo's. Again great job.

Doug