Valve covers

steven

Gold forum user
Be warned when you fit alloy heads and roller rockers. It is critical to allow clearence. My setup allowed 2 gaskets to clear the rockers. Only when I finally started the beast on Boxing day did I find a leak. Eventually found it coming from the right valve covers. I lowered the motor 2" all it would go with everything connected. Found the supplied stainless bolts were bottoming out without compressing the gaskets.

Big job removing the rear bolts. New shorter bolts being fitted next week

Moondoggie

Gold forum user
Be warned when you fit alloy heads and roller rockers. It is critical to allow clearence. My setup allowed 2 gaskets to clear the rockers. Only when I finally started the beast on Boxing day did I find a leak. Eventually found it coming from the right valve covers. I lowered the motor 2" all it would go with everything connected. Found the supplied stainless bolts were bottoming out without compressing the gaskets.

Big job removing the rear bolts. New shorter bolts being fitted next week

I ran into the same problem with my AFR heads on my 302. You will find that two gaskets is only a short term fix. Tom Hall makes a .250" thick spacer that works well if you have room under the fire wall for the extra height. I solved the problem by going to Jesel shaft roller rockers which lower the rocker geometry and give you much needed clearance. This is not a cheap fix !!http://www.jesel.com/valvetrain/index.php/rockers/sportsman-series

Moondoggie

Warren

Gold forum user
Good words

Add to Tiger 101.
Be able to lay across the motor with the cushions from the patio furniture and get those back bolts in, get comfortable as it'll take a while.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
I would think that the gasket to gasket seal is not the best, with a spacer you have the head, gasket, metal spacer, gasket and cover.

Moondoggie

Gold forum user
Why is 2 gaskets a short fix? If you fit a spacer you also need 2 gaskets.

Two gaskets really don't get you the clearance you need and it's very marginal at best. Add some heat and you will be tightening the bolts many times crushing the gaskets and reducing the clearance even more. The spacer at least insures you have that 1/4" at all times regardless of what the gaskets do.
The Jesel shaft roller rockers are awesome and the ultimate fix if you can afford them.

Moondoggie

tgrrr

Silver forum user
Roller Rockers

I've used the Comp Cams Pro Magnum roller rockers under the Powered by Ford cast aluminum valve covers after removing the baffles.

CCA-1801-1_ml.jpg

tigresunbeam

Forum Member
Valve cover

Not sure about MKI or MKIA but on my MKII there is a rubber plug on the driver side to give access to the Back valve cover bolts.

Gilles

Attachments

• 20180108_091816.jpg
    20180108_091816.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 171

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Standard on All Tigers

Not sure about MKI or MKIA but on my MKII there is a rubber plug on the driver side to give access to the Back valve cover bolts.

Gilles

This plug is standard on all Marks for Tigers. There is also a larger plug further down that allows easier access to the rear spark plug on that side, especially needed if running the original cast iron exhaust manifolds.

Chukarg

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Comp cams makes some "low profile" locking rocker arm nuts (their standard locking nuts were too tall) that let me install Crane energizer roller rockers beneath the Tiger valve covers w/o stacking gaskets. No baffle in my valve covers, so might be some clearance issues there.

steven

Gold forum user
Spoke with an old school mechanic. He said with a lot of V8's they got by with one gasket if the baffles were removed. But then he said you must extend the PCV valve as high as you can above the rocker. With rollers lots of oil gets pushed around. I am waiting on a brass tube 20mm in diameter and the PCV valve should be around top of the carby level. That should stop oil being sucked up

Chukarg

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
I'm using Duke's PCV valve baffle modification with satisfactory results so far, that and I switched back to a standard volume Melling oil pump. PO installed high volume oil pump, and I noticed leaky valve guide seals, oily spark plugs, a burned valve, oil pulled into carb through PCV, and other nastiness! I was so concerned about it when I had the heads rebuild, and before i figured out what was probably the cause, that I considered installing an oil catch can. Duke's baffle much simpler and cheaper.