number plate info

steven

Gold forum user
Can I research a Californian number plate and find out the history of ownership? I bought my Tiger and it came from Cal. I am now putting it all back together and found the number plate it had when it went into storage in the 80's.
Just curious to try and find the previous owner/s

Warren

Gold forum user
Form

I have attached a PDF of the correct form for you.
The application is awkwardly written so ask me off forum if you have questions. The fee is 6 bucks so you may need a US funds money order.

I have gotten a couple done and it takes at least 6 weeks for even a reply or red ink spanking saying you filled form in wrong start over.

Knowing someone in Law enforcement would make it a bunch easier. Back a few years ago DMV dropped vehicles off computer for storage reasons. Now they do not as back fees were lost. There are microfilm records but that gets $ or needs other than your hobby or historical interest reason on the form.

With any luck your P.O.s are on Facebook or LinkedIn.

Last edited:

Bob Knight

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Hot Plate

Hi Steven,
You might post the plate number here to see if anyone recognizes it - I can't see any harm that could come from posting a long expired number. It wouldn't be TYS416, would it? I sold my first Tiger (with that plate number) to a guy in LA in the early '80's and it promptly disappeared from the face of the earth, it was never registered in CA or the US again, as far as I could tell from my many attempts to locate it.
Bob K.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Stevens car came up for sale on the net in ca a few years back, had been laid up for a decent time thanks to a decent hit. He has been putting all that right now.

Car might have had another nudge at the front pre the crash that took it off the road as all the sunbeam lettering had been filled and blacked out grill was body colour ... Given it was in ca for a while maybe the membership might know something, but the car was widely discussed at the time of sale and nobody seemed to have info.

steven

Gold forum user
The plate is blue with yellow numbers. UKZ-479. with California above the number. The vin is B9471122