TKO owners, lets get a report.

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
If you have installed the TKO 600, would like to know your experience.

From the installation to which options you did or did not choose.

Moondoggie

Gold forum user
I'm not too sure just how much I can post but here goes. I have had the first
prototype side shifting TKO 600 from Modern Driveline and now have serial number one of the production TKO. If you go here:

http://moderndriveline.com/Tiger_TKO.htm

You will get much info and current pictures etc. This is perhaps one of the best
mods I have done on my Tiger. This tranny will handle any monster motor you
can put in a Tiger and then some. Shifts like a dream and no installation issues. I would recommend the shift rail mod option and the carbon fiber blocking ring option.

Thanks for asking Duke !!!

Moondoggie

PITT40

Gold forum user
Damn you guys with your good intentions!!! Now I just added another thing to my wish list! Ugh, more money, money, money!. BTW, how much are these?

Moondoggie

Gold forum user
Damn you guys with your good intentions!!! Now I just added another thing to my wish list! Ugh, more money, money, money!. BTW, how much are these?

Apparently you have never owned a Sailboat !! Tiger's are the land version....
a big pit in which to throw money into !!!
As for price it's best to get a quote by following the info in the MDL web site. The total cost depends on what bell housing and clutch parts you will need
to complete the installation. A round number is somewhere around five thousand which is about the same cost for one of Dale's front ends which is another must have modifications.

Moondoggie

Warren

Gold forum user
Catalina 30

Will trade for transmission. Like a Tiger its most often broken with no place or to go but round in circles... or back and forth.

Fat chance I know:)

PITT40

Gold forum user
5K for a trans? I would only really want it for the 5th gear to go on the highway. I would rather suffer and stay in gears 1-4 for that cost. $2500, maybe I'm willing, but not for 5K.

Moondoggie

Gold forum user
I have emailed Modern Driveline twice now with questions with no reply.

You need to follow the instructions that are in the bottom portion of the web page listed in response #2 above..

Call Rootes Group Depot @ 650-364-1965 or better yet Email Bill Martin @ Tigerfixer@Yahoo.com.

MDL will pass any requests for quotes on to Rootes Group Depot since most installations are a little different ie 260,289,302,347 etc Bill will make sure you get all of the correct parts and can suggest options you may have over looked and prepare a quote. Today Bill is in Reno returning to the Bay Area so he will be on the road most of the day. Also please note that Bill works 7 days a week and 12 hours or more a day on Tigers so please be patient he will get back to you.

Moondoggie

JakeTS

New forum user
TKO600

I'm happy with my MDL modified TKO600. I do not have the special syncro's or shift blocks. For years I have refused to put in a 5 speed with the transmission rolled to one side, placing the gears in questionable lubrication scenario's. This trans costs a little more, but its engineered correctly. The minor problems with the MDL kit include the cross-member spacing to the frame (add plates), and the speedo drive gear selection installed (20% fast).

Jeff F

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The minor problems with the MDL kit include the cross-member spacing to the frame (add plates)...
Can you elaborate? I have one and it's "in" the car, bolted to a plastic mock-up block. My crossmember bolted right in.

JB66CAT

Gold forum user
TKO

I have a TKO 600 in my street rod truck. Engine dyno'd at 500 hp 486 tq.
I got mine through American Driveline (no affiliation) and I love it.

Moondoggie

Gold forum user

Jim,

I'm not sure why you posted the link. So that you know, you can't just buy a generic TKO600 kit and have it bolt right into a Tiger. What MDL does to solve this issue is they machine the tail housing to clear the x member and manufacture and install the components necessary to move the shift handle
over to the side so it fits into the stock trans tunnel hole. So no modifications are required to install unlike the T5 which is turned on it's side requiring the tunnel be expanded with a come along. MDL's kit also includes a new rear mount bracket and driveshaft...

Moondoggie

Warren

Gold forum user
Cut

Jim's tunnel has been cut. I'm other words day Tiger done got out of the cage.

Not everyone is willing to cure all sins of the P.O. and spend like a drunken sailor. Not that there's anything wrong with drunken sailors.

I've seen some pretty articulated and different shaped shift levers and think it's their toy and they can do whatever.

Not everyone needs MDL or Dale's stuff there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Moondoggie

Gold forum user
Jim's tunnel has been cut. I'm other words day Tiger done got out of the cage.

Not everyone is willing to cure all sins of the P.O. and spend like a drunken sailor. Not that there's anything wrong with drunken sailors.

I've seen some pretty articulated and different shaped shift levers and think it's their toy and they can do whatever.

Not everyone needs MDL or Dale's stuff there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Warren...Doing it the right way is not spending like a drunken sailor. We are very fortunate that we have Dale, Bill Martin , MDL and a host of other venders that are willing to devote their time and effort creating parts in very low volume for our hobby. That does not mean they are raping us when they at least try to make some small return on their investment..Good grief you are hawking an air cleaner for nearly $600 that can't cost more than a third of that to make. Be more supportive of our vendors whether they choose to advertise on this site or not.

Moondoggie

Warren

Gold forum user
Facts

Dawg get your facts straight. I know the car in question you don't. Some guys build cars their way. The Vendors regardless of participation on CAT are all welcome in the White pages and are free to sell on eBay .
The AC Housing's sell for more on eBay as it enables Sunbeam Specialties and Sunbeam Spares to sell for less than my eBay price, plus we sell for less here on CAT, TEAE and everywhere else that it's allowed.

Doing something right is relative to their taste for their modified vehicle and nothing more. Dale MDL and Bill Martin have nice options for someone who doesn't want to cut their car. When the forum postings are moderated it's almost always at a request of a director, they made the rules I'm just the cop hence my alter ego Lego good cop.

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Warren...Be more supportive of our vendors whether they choose to advertise on this site or not.

Moondoggie

I am sorry, but I did not see where Warren differentiated between vendors who advertise on this site and vendors who are not advertising. Or did I miss something in this thread?