TKO owners, lets get a report.

Moondoggie

Gold forum user
Dawg get your facts straight. I know the car in question you don't. Some guys build cars their way. The Vendors regardless of participation on CAT are all welcome in the White pages and are free to sell on eBay .
The AC Housing's sell for more on eBay as it enables Sunbeam Specialties and Sunbeam Spares to sell for less than my eBay price, plus we sell for less here on CAT, TEAE and everywhere else that it's allowed.

Doing something right is relative to their taste for their modified vehicle and nothing more. Dale MDL and Bill Martin have nice options for someone who doesn't want to cut their car. When the forum postings are moderated it's almost always at a request of a director, they made the rules I'm just the cop hence my alter ego Lego good cop.

Warren

I believe I have my facts correct. In Jim's original post he was very happy with the TKO he has in his street rod and then he posted an add from the company that he bought it from. I merrily informed those that had not read the entire post that a stock TKO would not fit in a tiger without some serious machining and modification supporting the additional price over the stock out of the box TKO price. You took that and made into some drunken sailor deal that was way off base...lego cop or not it stinks

Moondoggie

Warren

Gold forum user
Watch out

For the little guy. In the multitude of threads we have on the subject it would be unrealistic to think that even a Nube Tiger owner would blindly click and order a transmission from the first link he sees. We appreciate your attempt to look after the little guy. What you fail to give value to is some guys will be more happy digging and looking for an AMC tail shaft and the satisfaction of doing it themselves.

JB66CAT

Gold forum user
TKO

Jim,

I'm not sure why you posted the link. So that you know, you can't just buy a generic TKO600 kit and have it bolt right into a Tiger. What MDL does to solve this issue is they machine the tail housing to clear the x member and manufacture and install the components necessary to move the shift handle
over to the side so it fits into the stock trans tunnel hole. So no modifications are required to install unlike the T5 which is turned on it's side requiring the tunnel be expanded with a come along. MDL's kit also includes a new rear mount bracket and driveshaft...

Moondoggie
I have a bad habit of not explaining things enough sometimes. ;-) I posted the link because the price is way lower than what others had posted for the tremec. And, the one I have is not in a Tiger. So, I was just providing a link to the company where I got mine for informational use. All of the extra parts etc. that would be needed to install in a Tiger are obviously going to boost the price. Certainly, it would be wise to go with a supplier that has experience with Tigers. IIRC the tremec has multiple ways to mount the shifter. At any rate I'm sticking with the T5 for now in the Tiger. The TKO600 in my hot rod works like a dream though.

ModernDriveline

Bronze forum user
This Bruce with Modern Driveline. Just want to chime in and help those with questions.

With Help from Bill Doolittle and Bill Martin I developed the Tiger TKO600 so it would bolt in without modification to these valuable Tigers. I have seen what was done before and come with a better way to install a five speed overdrive shaft transmission that would fit the Tiger. It was not easy, we spent about a year working through cad modeling to get the shifter to the left side while maintaining a low profile body design. In order to get the transmission to fit proper, we have to replace the input shaft with a shorter model to move the transmission forward. This also allows the transmission to use the stock six bolt wide pattern four speed bellhousing. Our goal was to use as many factory parts as we could. If the Tiger is equipped with a six bolt bellhouisng, the only part that has to be changed inside the bellhousing is the clutch to provide a 26 spline clutch hub. The stock flywheel and hydraulic retained. As mentioned, the case has to be machined in several locations to provide the clearance necessary to clear the transmission tunnel and crossmember. We do offer the Tiger TKO600 with different gear ratio but most choice the TKO600 with a 2.87:1 first and .82:1 overdrive. .64:1 od is also available. For those who don't wish to change a clutch the 10 spline TKO500 with a 3.27:1 first and .68:1 od is available. I would recommend changing the clutch however and choose the TKO600 with the .82OD.

One of the nice options we offer a shifter that will allow the stock four speed Tiger lever to transfer the TKO. This both saves money and keep the "look" of factory. For those that want a Hurst lever or purchase an aftermarket shifter, we offer a shift stub. For those that are shift above 6K rpm, we recommend carbon fiber lined synchero ring on 2,3,4 gears. These are $50 each. While the complete Tiger TKO package with a Quicktime scatter shield for those with five block 260/289 can cost at or above $5K, each package price is diffferently depending what what we supply. It is best that anyone that is interested in pricing contact us for a custom quote.

ModernDriveline

Bronze forum user
If someone want to find an AMC trails shaft housing, which are very hard to find, I can provide a new T-5z WC transmission with a 2.95:1 with an optional .80:1 overdrive. We offer a complete line of T-5 bellhousing adapters and clutches.

Jeff_H

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
so is this a modern driveline conversion or a Bill Martin conversion ?

Still not seen to much in terms of someone driving it and comparing it to either stock or Tom Halls version ?

Anxious minds need to know before investing $5k

Moondoggie

Gold forum user
so is this a modern driveline conversion or a Bill Martin conversion ?

Still not seen to much in terms of someone driving it and comparing it to either stock or Tom Halls version ?

Anxious minds need to know before investing $5k

Jeff,

THis is a modern driveline conversion. I Have had the pleasure of owning a top loader in my Cobra and my Tiger came with a Tom Hall t5 conversion when I bought it. The three best modifications I have made to my Tiger are building a
375 hp 302, putting the TKO600 raod race tranny behind it and installing Dale's front end with wilwood brakes all around. The net result is a Tiger that is fast,stops and has the right gearing to make it a pleasure to drive.

Moondoggie...feel free to email me directly if you wnat more details

gregory schumacher

Bronze forum user
tremek tkop 600

We installed the tko a year ago with a boss 363 putting out 420rwhp with direct port fuel injection. With 307 final gears cars getting 17.5 mpg at 75-80ish on the freeway. Butter smooth shifting opted for a Kevlar clutch it chatters a bit in reverse but holds great. Bill Martin and Modern Driveline were a pleasure to deal with.

TAH_Tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Tremec

Have Tremecs in two of my cars.
Best upgrade ever. Sometimes I shift down to 4th on the highway to remind me what it used to be like. At 70 its about 1900 RPM in 5th.

ModernDriveline

Bronze forum user
Jeff,

THis is a modern driveline conversion. I Have had the pleasure of owning a top loader in my Cobra and my Tiger came with a Tom Hall t5 conversion when I bought it. The three best modifications I have made to my Tiger are building a
375 hp 302, putting the TKO600 raod race tranny behind it and installing Dale's front end with wilwood brakes all around. The net result is a Tiger that is fast,stops and has the right gearing to make it a pleasure to drive.

the Tiger TKO are provided by MDL but Bill Martin and Bill Dolittle had a very key in making it happen. Bill Martin is a dealer of ours and can provide first hand knowledge of horw the Tiger TKO installs and works. The product can be purchased from Rootes Group or MDL directly. Regards, Bruce Couture (MDL)

Last edited by a moderator:

67tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I have emailed Modern Driveline twice now with questions with no reply.

Pick up the phone and contact them, I buy everything I can from MDL for the Tiger just because If I'm problem solving they are right there to help me out. I talked to a guy yesterday for over a 30 minutes about my clutch release being 1 inch from the firewall, lack of modulation, and perhaps my need to go to a Tilton HTB. I've got the old school setup with the american motors tail shaft, $3,000.00 all in brand new 5 speed and modified with a .80 5th, however I would probably sell mine with 300 miles on it to the highest bidder so that I could put the new and improved MDL product in my car...The 5 speed makes this Tiger incredibly fun, I like to shift, and having one shift right after the other is most excellent.

ModernDriveline

Bronze forum user
Pick up the phone and contact them, I buy everything I can from MDL for the Tiger just because If I'm problem solving they are right there to help me out. I talked to a guy yesterday for over a 30 minutes about my clutch release being 1 inch from the firewall, lack of modulation, and perhaps my need to go to a Tilton HTB. I've got the old school setup with the american motors tail shaft, $3,000.00 all in brand new 5 speed and modified with a .80 5th, however I would probably sell mine with 300 miles on it to the highest bidder so that I could put the new and improved MDL product in my car...The 5 speed makes this Tiger incredibly fun, I like to shift, and having one shift right after the other is most excellent.

To those who wish to contact us, Modern Driveline is available by phone M-F 8-5 mountain time or email. Our number is 208-453-9800 or sales@moderndriveline.com.

mjhummel

New forum user
CAT Member
Jeff,

Perfect set up for the old Tiger, 15 inch wheels with the Wilwoods?

20221229_202538.jpg

1966 TGR

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I'm happy I did the conversion. But be aware of potential block/bellhousing/release arm mismatches. I painfully discovered that the bell housing supplied by MDL (shipped from Quik Time) supposedly for a 5 bolt conversion, had the release fulcrum in the position for a 6-bolt setup. The difference is 0.20 inch, requiring a 6-bolt release arm. Without this critical information, I used the original 5 bolt arm. This caused disastrous off- center pressure on the throwout bearing and clutch. It took quite a bit of investigation to discover why. Apparently Quick Time just drilled the more common 6 bolt bell housing to fit a 5-bolt engine. The TKX wasn't available at the time, but seems like an even better proposition, with better 5th gear overdrive ratio.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
5K for a trans? I would only really want it for the 5th gear to go on the highway. I would rather suffer and stay in gears 1-4 for that cost. $2500, maybe I'm willing, but not for 5K.
$5K??? I was quoted $5500 2 months ago and that reflected a $500 drop off retail. Of course, there is quite a lot of stuff included that really does not need to be replaced. The conversion I was considering was for a MK2, so no new bellhousing required. Supposedly I could use my existing bellhousing and new clutch, but they wanted me to buy new one anyway. I was also required to buy a new driveshaft yoke, but that should be the same too as well as a new speedo cable and gear... Which I already have.... In any event, kind of hard to justify.... I only asked as I have a detent issue with my gearbox and was trying to figure out whether I was going to go to the trouble to fix mine, or change to a 5 speed. Looks like I'm going to fix it!

If I could buy the gearbox alone and the revised trans mount, I might consider it. That option was not available to me.

Last edited:

theo_s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
that's strange.. they responded right away to my request for a quote... russ@moderndriveline.com They never referred me to Bill Martin. provided a list of the parts they said I needed (some I didn't)
Sean, this thread started in 2015 and Duke's message you referred to was posted over eight years ago... I think that the hoops that the early adopters of these MDL built transmissions had to jump through have been removed by now and the whole process is more straightforward.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
$5K??? I was quoted $5500 2 months ago and that reflected a $500 drop off retail. Of course, there is quite a lot of stuff included that really does not need to be replaced. The conversion I was considering was for a MK2, so no new bellhousing required. Supposedly I could use my existing bellhousing and new clutch, but they wanted me to buy new one anyway. I was also required to buy a new driveshaft yoke, but that should be the same too as well as a new speedo cable and gear... Which I already have.... In any event, kind of hard to justify.... I only asked as I have a detent issue with my gearbox and was trying to figure out whether I was going to go to the trouble to fix mine, or change to a 5 speed. Looks like I'm going to fix it!

If I could buy the gearbox alone and the revised trans mount, I might consider it. That option was not available to me.
Maybe they justify selling it only as a complete kit for warranty issues....that way if anything doesn't quite align or something fails it removes any variable that it was an older part or something out of spec?

Also to quote the best gearbox guy in Australia "I don't sell parts" he would only do full rebuilds on gearboxes and wouldn't even sell parts to mechanics etc...