Engine To Bellhousing Seperator Plate

tiger260

Gold forum user
Hi all,

The separator plate that came off of my Tiger had a rubber seal around the large hole in the centre which appears to butt up against the back of the engine block presumably to keep any loose oil at the engine side.

The seal on my plate is in very poor condition.

I wondered, do people replace this seal or just remove it and use the plate without?

Also, would it cause any harm to spray paint the separator plate? It somehow seems wrong not to protect it in some way.

And lastly, in one of the rocker covers, beneath the PCV, there is a small 'enclosure' with what looks like course wire wool inside it that acts as a filter.

Is it possible to buy replacements of these?

Many Thanks.

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
Steel wool

Not a filter, but effective? to collect oil mist. The heavy-er drops of oil drop back down into the crankcase.

tiger260

Gold forum user
Ah, so that's what it does.

I must admit the only reason I called it a filter was because I saw it called that online.

I noticed that Duke used a scourer for a similar situation.
I assume that would work too?

Mine is in reasonable condition but is shedding tiny pieces and I'm concerned about the bits finding their way into the oil system.

I've been trying to find info online about the seal on the separator plate.

I can't find any mention of them.:confused:

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Spacer Plate Seal?

Ah, so that's what it does.

I must admit the only reason I called it a filter was because I saw it called that online.

I noticed that Duke used a scourer for a similar situation.
I assume that would work too?

Mine is in reasonable condition but is shedding tiny pieces and I'm concerned about the bits finding their way into the oil system.

I've been trying to find info online about the seal on the separator plate.

I can't find any mention of them.:confused:

I have never seen a spacer plate seal used in any situation . . . . . .

tiger260

Gold forum user
I have never seen a spacer plate seal used in any situation . . . . . .

Thanks Randy, that's good to hear.

It means it's something I don't have to sort out.

I wasn't looking forward to having to make one which is what it was starting to look like I would have to do.

Here's a pic of what came off the car.
You can see the seal around the centre hole. It broke up when I removed the plate from the engine.

Seperator plate. Painted or unpainted. Opinion Randy?

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Rattle Rattle

I can see where a bead of black gasket cement would quiet a rattle or redirect a leak if a valley plug blew out. Both highly unlikely and extra efforts for no return. As for paint; I always bead blast and soak the metal in iron oxide treatment (Permatex rust treat e.g.). The only non-dimensional color area would be what is exposed around the lower section facing the motor. High moisture climates could use paint, but keep it thin.

tiger260

Gold forum user
I can see where a bead of black gasket cement would quiet a rattle or redirect a leak if a valley plug blew out. Both highly unlikely and extra efforts for no return. As for paint; I always bead blast and soak the metal in iron oxide treatment (Permatex rust treat e.g.). The only non-dimensional color area would be what is exposed around the lower section facing the motor. High moisture climates could use paint, but keep it thin.

Curious isn't it.
It is made of rubber so goodness knows how it got there.
Curing a rattle is a possibility by a p/o.

Good idea re. the permatex. I have some POR metal ready that coats steel in zinc phosphate. I may give that a try.

Thanks.