Tiger in my brother's backyard

Jon B

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Hi all,

I was up in Fair Oaks helping my brother work on his rental house when his next door neighbor stopped over to say hello. He does side jobs out of his house and my bro asked what he was working on; I, half listening, picked up "Sunbeam Tiger." What?! We went over to check it out and I shot a few pics. It's a '66 owned by a cosmetic surgeon. A shop put in a 347 and beefed-up T5 and did some other work, the neighbor is finishing it up including wiring. Also has a fuel cell, some kind of NASCAR radiator with a built-in water pump, and Wilwood brakes including 13" front rotors that I believe were supplied by Dale Akuszewski along with some of the front end parts. Fairly substantial rollbar too. One thing that caught my eye is the "Product of Ford Motor Company" decal on the air cleaner. Never seen that before and assume it was put on after the fact. Looks like it will be pretty wicked when finished. The VIN and JAL tags aren't installed so I figure they're with the owner, didn't think to ask about them. I'll be going back over the next few months and hope to see it finished and possibly get a ride in it.

Happy Labor Day!

-Jon

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Very much the resto-mod. Aftermarket gauges, interesting MC setup, and radiator. Is the engine bay crinkle black? Note that it areas to have an alpine boot floor, or they have removed the spare tyre hold bracket?

The sticker on the filter housing is not stock, similar to the rocker cover stickers but they just had the logo

TAH_Tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Restomod Tiger??

VIN and JAL tags off? Where's the spare tire mount in the trunk?

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
VIN and JAL tags off? Where's the spare tire mount in the trunk?

If you look closely, there are some 'depressions' under the 'dynamat?' pretty much exactly where that Tiger spare mount would be... bet it was chopped off the floor ;)
Driver's side inner fender looks mighty Tiger-'ish' to me

Jon B

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Yeah, not much left stock. I was surprised to see an original air cleaner. Engine bay is indeed some kind of crinkle black, with regular nuts holding on the firewall braces. Looked like the stock heater valve but mounted by the (GM) alternator. I checked but didn't see evidence of the stock spare mount, must have been removed to make room for the fuel cell. I think it has MSD Atomic EFI. The holes for the tags are still there, they were probably removed when it was painted.

-Jon

Warren

Gold forum user
Maybe

This was a car that was a part out by a fellow named Jay also in Fair Oaks a couple years back. Bruce AKA Cobrakidz in Folsom and I got some parts from that car and it was a below the radar non ID ed car but the shell was gone before we got to the parts. Most all the missing stuff was offered by Jay except for the AC filter housing.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
I actually ended up with a lot of this Tiger....dash, gauges, misc lights, trim, bumpers, etc..... Nice fella that sold it, we never saw the body. A friend bought the LAT hood and few other parts.

Jon B

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Very cool, thanks for the info, guys. The car seems to have an interesting history and it was sure a bizarre coincidence finding a Tiger so close by, especially since I might store mine up there for a bit. Believe it or not, there's a "wildlife viewing" sign at the end of their street!

-Jon