1967 Sunbeam Tiger Convertible

Tigernewbie

New forum user
Hey guys,

To start off as you can see in my name i am a newbie and know nothing about Sunbeam tiger vehicles so please bare with me. It is my farther's 65th birthday coming up soon so me and the family want to put some money together and get him his dream car the 1967 Sunbeam Tiger Convertible. When ever he would see it on TV he would say "if i had the money" and he still doesn't but with a little input from my sisters and mother we can pull it together for him.

This is where i need everyone on here as i have been searching 1967 Sunbeam Tiger Convertible classified ads sites. They are not that easy to come across to be honest, i have found one that looks promising. I will find some specs + seller description and enter it below.

SPECS
Year: 1967 MKII
Engine: V8
Gear: 4 speed manual
Steering: Unassisted
Price: $32,500

And the seller description
"1967 Sunbeam Tiger Convertible, motor and trans have 5 miles on rebuild, solid lifters, top loader 4 speed, all new brakes and lines, everything mechanical has been replaced or rebuilt, low mileage original car, drive as is or take it to the next level, brand new tires and rims, I am taking serious offers, low ballers will be ignored, these cars are extremely rare, very few were made with the help and design of Carol Shelby was $50K REDUCED to $32,500 for quick sale"

If this is a good choice by specs and description what should i look out for when going to buy?
Any information/advice would be great

Example image below
And they keep popping up on here around the same price... check it out http://www.used.forsale/sunbeam-tiger
ebay456429.jpg

Thanks guys

Last edited:

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
It's likely that is a fraudulent advertisement...

Any decent condition mkii will be upwards of 100k.

So this is either someone looking to dupe you of cash or the car is an alpine conversion.

Post the vin and we may know of the car or its history.

VaCat33

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Scam!!!

I must agree with Michael...last year a rusted MkII barn find that had not seen the road in 30 years sold for more than what they are asking for your dream Tiger. Yes...they are hard to find. Just look at a recent posting in the Cars For Sale Section of this forum and you will see the price a legit MkII would command.

Curious where you saw the advertisement?

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
An image has now been added that shows a very straight looking series V alpine with a scoop added to the bonnet ... The plot gets weirder

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
More Ditto

There are certainly quite a mixture of Alpine & Tiger parts in it: confused: I would pass . . . . .just sayin'. Keep in mind that these critters require attention, constantly. You can bet that the lower priced "real" ones will have a long list of fix-it needs.

dstephns

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I'm somewhat confused by the example image. Is that the car or an example?
That ones got Alpine plastered on the side. 32K for a real MK2 would have to be the steal of a lifetime unless in poor shape. Like others, WARNING!
Dave

Warren

Gold forum user
Central time

Newbie, pleas list your city and some more details about yourself. It is a little confusing to have an Irvine IP address and a central time selection. Sometimes it's easy to click the wrong box. It's also permitted to put a real name in your posting first and initial.

Plus this sounds like the white Craigslist car with the mix of a square corner door and a round one in Central Californian. It's been available for a long time. By the way the 67 is likely the year first sold .

Jon B

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Plus this sounds like the white Craigslist car with the mix of a square corner door and a round one in Central Californian. It's been available for a long time. By the way the 67 is likely the year first sold .

Warren, that was my thought too. Has to be the same one: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5741857019.html.

Tigernewbie, I found my car on here, also check Hemmings and eBay. Very knowledgeable and helpful people on here.

-Jon

Tigernewbie

New forum user
Wow guys,

I was thinking a little cheap that's why i came here to speak to the pros, If the price tag is 100k then i am definitely getting ripped off :O. I will get back on the site and find the VIN number to do some research! watch it come up as a different car and it's a fake knowing my luck (and the price) ...

They could of had a :------ with me

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
More Information

Tigernewbie,

You are well aware of the likelihood that a $32,000 Mk II is highly suspect. But to answer your question about what to look for before buying, here are a few suggestions I would like to offer.
1. For any Tiger, make sure the car has undergone a TAC inspection. You can read about what this means elsewhere. Ask to see the actual certificate and have the owner show you the sticker that was applied to the car. Make sure the cert number matches the sticker number. Also, make sure the VIN number on the car matches the VIN number on the TAC certificate. If the owner does not know where the sticker was installed, be very suspicious. A certificate by itself does not mean that the car in front of you started off as a Tiger and not an Alpine, since the VIN from a Tiger that passed a TAC inspection might have later been wrecked and the VIN plate transferred to a donor Alpine body. It is hard to relocate the TAC sticker, however.
2. The parts that differentiate a Mk II from a Mk 1A are very hard to come by if missing. I am not aware of any reproduction parts that come close to matching originals. These parts include trim pieces along the rocker panels, wheel arch trim pieces, a thicker upper grill opening trim piece, the eggcrate grill, and a two-row oil cooler mounted below the radiator. A Mk II will have an alternator with a cast steel bracket (check with a magnet to make sure not aluminum). Also, a Mk II will have non-hooded type headlight surrounds. Some owners of earlier Tigers also like the looks of these headlight surrounds and have them on their cars. They also were used on the later Series 5 Alpines.
3. Tigers can have serious rust problems which are expensive to fix. Be sure to get a potential Tiger up on a rack and look at the underside for rust - not just the panels but the frame, too.
4. Find out if there are any Tiger owners in your area. Ask to see some examples of Tigers so you know what you are looking at when you are shopping for a car. If possible, go to any Tiger owner club meetings in your area, where you might see different examples of Tigers. If you are in the Southern California area, see the calendar section at the bottom for upcoming meetings of C.A.T. And see if you can get someone who is well-respected in his/her Tiger club to go with you to look at the car with you.

Good luck in your search to find a car worthy of your father!

Tigernewbie

New forum user
Looks like i am going to have to take a pro with me to check the vehicle out to make sure it's legit/or not... Looks like my farther is going to have to wait a few more years in the price tag has just tripled!! :(

CT Tiger

Silver forum user
Several years ago I went to look at a car advertised as a tiger , a friend had the Jones for one . So wd drove 6 hours to look at was an obvious Alger . The fellow had stripped a tiger and put the running gear in his alpine .

Insisted it was real , just watch out .

JB66CAT

Gold forum user
Strange

Seems strange that someone would go to all the trouble to make an Alpine into a Tiger (Alger) and then leave the Alpine script on it! Strange indeed.

CT Tiger

Silver forum user
Maybe its from one of the countries where the tiger name could not be used . Looks like a series v alpine to me ....

MT Roads

Silver forum user
Expanding the Market....?

Hello Tigernewbie!

This is none of my business, really, but is it of any significance to you or your Father that the car be a 1967 specifically, or even a MK II?

If your father is interested in Sunbeam Tigers generally, then your mission becomes much simpler and much less expensive, although still a bit of a struggle to find a decent Tiger, acceptable condition for you & a reasonable price. If he saw the car in the “Get Smart” TV series, for instance, then that car was not a MKII.
Many people not involved in the Tiger community and not steeped in Tiger lore are not familiar with the differences between the Mk1, Mk1A [so called] and the MkII.

While there are differences as described by others, all Tigers have more in common than not, and all have a very similar look and performance. It may be that your father would be just as pleased to have an earlier model sooner than wait for possibly years to pursue a very limited supply of far more costly MkIIs. It may be worth considering revising your perspective, widen your search and work to get your father something to enjoy now. You can always trade / upgrade later if something does present itself.

This is just a different perspective from the cheap seats. Best of luck with what seems to be a very noble mission with the best of goals.