Monster at Goodwood

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
People are probably aware that the fraser "monster tiger" is racing at goodwood this year in the fordwater trpohy. The race was saturday and the car put up a good showing.

It qualified 5th and ran well in the race finshing 6th.. untill the 3rd last lap he was running 4th.. so perhaps tyres or a small off? anyway.. good result for along trip:
http://www.tsl-timing.com/?loc=club...entid=123721&table=123721rc1fwt&tabletype=gif

TheLm Tiger in the Tt has qualified 7th. and looking at the speed traps is obvioulsy not short of grunt as it was 2nd fatsest @ 146.2mph!

all events:
http://www.tsl-timing.com/?loc=club&season=2012&series=BARC&event=club&source=ed_BARC&eventid=123721

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Are there any pics of this car?? I have a friend there this weekend, hope he gets me lots of Tiger pics.

65sunbeam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Ah Glorius Goodwood! Now I understand why they call it that. I got to watch the Monster Tiger race yesterday and it sounded just wonderful roaring down the back straight where I was standing. It was quite a race and Tom put up a great run against several GT-350's, Lotus Elans, and a V-8 powered Ginetta (the race winner). Chris has a beautiful race car! Dan Gurney was a special guest this year at Goodwood and a grassroots election campaign was underway for him. He has my vote! You could spend hours in the parking lot checking out the cars that came for the day...... Eric

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Great pics--thanks. The Monster Tiger was at Sears Point in June for the vintage races, didn't know that is what they called it.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Well, sadly the LM Tuger didnt have a dream run... the results list it as a DNF after 21 laps:

from the lap chart the car was runnign top 4 for the first 4 laps before sliiping to 6th, top 7 till lap 9, back to 5th by lap 14 (perhaps pit stops from the others)

it was then running 3rd from lap 14-19 and was running 7th on lap 21 when it has retired.. hopefully we will find out more soon.

http://www.tsl-timing.com/?loc=club...entid=123721&table=123721rc1trt&tabletype=gif

Tomaselli

Bronze forum user
With the Fraser Monster Tiger coming to Goodwood it was only fitting to jump in the Tiger and go and have a look for meself :)

Monster Tiger was clearly unsettled by it's roadholding, a chat in pits afterwards suggest that they are working on a few tweaks and need to also change the gearing as it was running out of puff on the straights. That's probably why Chris told Tom to push the revs to 7500 (from 7000) on the straights. You are right the Monster did have an off but just on the grass, but enough to unsettle the car causing the bonnet hinges to work loose, see pics.

06-_U6K5646.jpg

03-_U6K5611.jpg

04-_U6K5617.jpg

02-_U6K5605.jpg

08-_U6K5668.jpg

09-_U6K5669.jpg

10-_U6K5671.jpg

Tomaselli

Bronze forum user
Oh I forgot to mention, in practice on Friday the front stub axle sheered due to bearing failure. Mechanic told me that due to the heat of the brakes, the grease on the bearing vaporized leaving the unlubricated bearing to melt and causing the stub axle to fail. Tom thankfully realised that the car didn't feel right and pulled in the pits, as the mechanic jacked the Monster up the wheel fell off!!!!

30-_U6K6134.jpg

31-_U6K6135.jpg

Very relaxed atmosphere in the paddocks;

33-_U6K6140.jpg

32-_U6K6136.jpg

34-_U6K6142.jpg

35-_U6K6150.jpg

Tomaselli

Bronze forum user
The Lister Tiger was up for a fight on the race on Sunday, with a good chance of a third place. The team have certainly been working hard on the Le Mans Tiger with the lap times getting very competitive (now that they are running a 289!) Sadly the temp gauge was showing the car overheating but after coming into the pits it was a false reading! They decided to save the engine as they were by that time 2 laps behind the winning E-Type Jag for Adrian Newey (F1 Red Bull) and Martin Brundle. Perhaps next year??

27-_U6K6072.jpg

29-_U6K6086.jpg

26-_U6K6067.jpg

41-_U6K6399.jpg

42-_U6K6398.jpg

37-_U6K6236.jpg

38-_U6K6245.jpg

Tomaselli

Bronze forum user
Goodwood is a great meet, and these are only a handful of the many many photos from the weekend :)

25-_U6K5949.jpg

40-_U6K6310.jpg

43-_U6K6414.jpg

44-_U6K6458.jpg

46-_U6K6475.jpg

40-_U6K6310.jpg

Send me a pm if anybody would like some high res pics :)

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Tony,

thanks for posting the pics.. was a bitter sweet weekend for the tigers.. i heard that the monster was closing in on 3rd place when the bonnet popped up and hence the drop of positions in the final 3 laps.

on the Lm tiger front.. that was runnig third when the engine over heated? such a pitty.. also what was the stort behind pattrick getting back in the car.. thought matt neal was in this year (he practiced it didnt he?)

there are some vids on youtube of the LM and monster.. the LM tiger sounds amazing.. such a deep bass grumble.. never heard another SBF like it.

Tomaselli

Bronze forum user
Thanks Michael,

thought matt neal was in this year (he practiced it didnt he?)

He broke his wrist the week before, so they managed to secure their original first choice, Patrick Watts who historically has had great success in the Tiger so an obvious formidable choice with Chris Beighton, as they are both very competent and skillful :)

As Eric said before, you could spend all day in the public car park alone....:)

_U6K5992_zpsf0704d31.jpg

Tomaselli

Bronze forum user
All the above there ;)

I hired the outfit for the 'retro' look, and I loved it that much I bought the full costume from the hire shop. Mrs T isn't so impressed though :D

This is a pic from near the paddock area, just seemed such a natural pose....

_U6K5968_zps30a5178b.jpg