Lockheed Servos (boosters)

tiger260

Gold forum user
I know that many of you still retain your Girling servos but I have a question for you guys who now use a Lockheed servo.

I believe many use a 4257-792P which is a 7" servo ( 2.3:1 boost) but I have also read that the recommended alternative to the original Girling is a 4275-221P (LE10117) but that is an 8" servo (3.0:1 boost), which I believe is what the Girling had.

I wondered if anyone had opted for the 8" servo and how they had managed to fit it in considering that the 7" is a tight fit.

If any of you are still awake, Thanks.

Bob Knight

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Booster

I had an 8" in one of my former Tigers in the 1980's. I recall I had to install it at a weird angle, and then bend the fender apron support tube to clear it, which I would be loath do to now. I suppose you could fabricate a replacement support tube to fit around the booster, to avoid molesting the original. The 8" booster did work very well, I thought it was superior in function to the original, however, I was comparing it to a recently worn out original booster.
Bob K.
B9471705

tiger260

Gold forum user
Thanks Bob, that's what I suspected.
Shame really as the 7" is the better fit but nowhere near as good a boost ratio.