adjusting doors

dstephns

Gold forum user
CAT Member
When I had my Tiger painted the shop that did it pulled the doors, trim etc. Unfortunately, when they reassembled the car I think they did a poor job on my door alignment.
The problem I have is the rear edge of the door does not sit flush with the rest of the rear quarter panel. I would guess approx. 1/8 to 3/16 inches stick out. Makes the door look like its not shut in my opinion. My question is what part of the door would I have to adjust to remedy this issue. What would I need to do.
The doors definitely fit better before they pulled them. Its not bad but bugs me to no end. Can't go back to the shop because they have moved on.
Any ideas or recommendations greatly appreciated.
thanks
Dave

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Dave there isnsome adjustment to be had i the hinges atvthe front and the striker on the b post.

Another likely reason for the issue is the factory didnt paint under the hinges. So when a shop pulls them paints the shell with several coats and reassembles the doors they are moved rearward and the alignment goes out.

dstephns

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Dave there isnsome adjustment to be had i the hinges atvthe front and the striker on the b post.

Another likely reason for the issue is the factory didnt paint under the hinges. So when a shop pulls them paints the shell with several coats and reassembles the doors they are moved rearward and the alignment goes out.

Thanks Michael I may tinker a little bit.
Dave

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
More info needed

If the door protrusion is even from top-to-bottom, simply move the stepped latch inward (2 X 5/16" screws). Uneven exposure involves sliding the upper or lower hinges in/out. Always leave one hinge fastened securely so the height does not drop on you and chip the paint. Also, the outboard hinge screws keep the door from sagging into the rear B-post paint, so keep them snug if you're going to shut the door.
There's more to it, of course, but experience doesn't do long distance very well.

dstephns

Gold forum user
CAT Member
If the door protrusion is even from top-to-bottom, simply move the stepped latch inward (2 X 5/16" screws). Uneven exposure involves sliding the upper or lower hinges in/out. Always leave one hinge fastened securely so the height does not drop on you and chip the paint. Also, the outboard hinge screws keep the door from sagging into the rear B-post paint, so keep them snug if you're going to shut the door.
There's more to it, of course, but experience doesn't do long distance very well.

Thanks for that info. I'm going to try that
Dave