Help re. Mini-Starter

Fordlandia

Silver forum user
CAT Member
I recently finished reinstalling the engine in my Mark II, after addressing a rear main seal, a transmission leak... plus the installation of the C.A.T. Club's stainless headers.

Unfortunately... after getting everything in place and making a number of "adjustments" to get it to fit together, I have found that I made a mistake not installing the original (rebuilt) starter prior to the headers. There is no way it will fit with the stainless headers in place. I have decided to "mothball" my original starter, and go to a mini-starter.

I am hoping to get feedback re. the starters I am considering (links below) or recommendations for other choices. I have the 157 tooth flywheel.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Powermaster-9162-Small-Block-Ford-Ultra-Mini-Starter-1-4-kW-A-T,7546.html

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Powermaster-9103-PowerMax-Starter-Small-Block-Ford-157-Tooth,229563.html

Thanks!

67MKII

Gold forum user
CAT Member
If it the choice of the 2 you presented (assuming they are both for the 157 tooth flywheel) - go w/ the 9103.

The major difference between the two is the 9103 is "clockable". Meaning the housing can be rotated "clocked" into different positions. That way you can set the housing to be as far from the headers so there is less heat on the internals. Also it can be "clocked" so you have the best access to the attachment bolts to the block.

Be aware that although you state you have 157 vs. a 164 tooth flywheel - you also have to determine if you need a starter for a manual or automatic transmission (There are flywheels the require the automatic transmission starter even though the car has a manual transmission) - it has to do with the depth the starter gear must travel to make contact with the flywheel.

There are many articles on the net that describe the differences between the two starters and how to measure for the correct starter.

John

Fordlandia

Silver forum user
CAT Member
I went with the 9603....

Thanks for the replies. After talking to a tech guy named Tom at Powermaster... he steered me to either the 9103 or the 9603. I opted for the 9603 which I found for less than $175.00 delivered and no tax.

If you take a look at the attached image... you will see a straightforward explanation re. fitting one of these mini-starters to a SBF. Lots of potential flywheel / bellhousing, engine combo, etc. But... in my case, the key is the 3/4" offset (measured from the surface that the starter mates to - to the front surface of the ring gear). Some will measure 3/8".

The 9603 is "clockable" and all you need is a jumper wire of the correct gauge to link the two terminals on the starter.

Hope this helps others who might be looking for a new starter.

Attachments

• POWERMASTER SBF STARTER SELECTION INFO.JPG
    POWERMASTER SBF STARTER SELECTION INFO.JPG
    210.3 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:

Roadpir8

Bronze forum user
Summit Starter SUM-820055

I went with the Summit Racing® Protorque Starters, SUM-820055, when I installed my CAT club headers. I have a 6 bolt 289 in my Alpine Tiger conversion.I have had it in since about July of 2017 and have not had any problems with it.

HTML:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-820055

Attachments

• Starter.jpg
    Starter.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 174
  • Starter 2.jpg
    Starter 2.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 177
  • Starter 3.jpg
    Starter 3.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 177