260 engine

1965_Tiger

Silver forum user
CAT Member
I have a 260 Motor machined and ready for assembly.
The Block casting number is C3OE-6015B. The date is 2M11 so it is a early 260.
.020 over new Pistons balanced with new balancer and flywheel.
Reconditioned heads, Timing cover, oil pan, new cam, lifters, pushrods.

Everything other than the intake and exhaust manifolds is included.

This came with the car I bought from Cobrakidz.
I am building a 289 so this must go.

Probably early for any Tiger but I am sure somebody could use it.

I can ship this via freight in pieces or I can have the motor assembled locally.

I have a receipt for the parts and machining.

Open to reasonable offers

Paul

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
I will vouch that a lot of money was spent on this and it was done by a reputable shop. Good luck with sale........

cleandan

Silver forum user
Please post a price.

I have been selling various parts for various hobbies for decades.
One of the "games" I enjoy playing uses a single desirable item with a "make offer" sign affixed to it. I always have one of these in my stuff.

Around here (MN) I get all kinds of interesting responses.
Stories of what they used to have or who they knew who had one like the thing I am selling.
Conversations about how great the thing is and how desirable it is...all while they make no offer, or wish to buy the item.
Many questions about "how much" or "what will you take" but again, no offers.

The end result is offers are rarely made. If they are made they usually fall far, far, far, short of what the reasonable value is. Who can blame them? I don't want to overpay just for the privileged of overpaying.

The trump card, at least with me, is the game of offering. Many times I have simply chosen to let the item go. I no longer need the item and I don't really need the money either...money would be nice but I don NEED it for this item.

This means sometimes I have an item for sale all weekend with multiple people looking at it many times. Eventually someone makes and offer and I say okay, or I ask for just a bit more.
Then the wows and wonderment begin by those who did not make an offer.
Usually something like, "Man if I had known you would take that much I would have bought it the first time." I usually answer with something like you are probably correct but you did not make an offer so I could not tell you yes or no. That guy actually made an offer.

Anyway, your engine is not a casual purchase so your "reasonable offers" statement kind of leaves you blowing in the breeze.
Post an asking price and see where it takes you.

My offer is $350.

Doug C

Gold forum user
I have been selling various parts for various hobbies for decades.
One of the "games" I enjoy playing uses a single desirable item with a "make offer" sign affixed to it. I always have one of these in my stuff.

Around here (MN) I get all kinds of interesting responses.
Stories of what they used to have or who they knew who had one like the thing I am selling.
Conversations about how great the thing is and how desirable it is...all while they make no offer, or wish to buy the item.
Many questions about "how much" or "what will you take" but again, no offers.

The end result is offers are rarely made. If they are made they usually fall far, far, far, short of what the reasonable value is. Who can blame them? I don't want to overpay just for the privileged of overpaying.

The trump card, at least with me, is the game of offering. Many times I have simply chosen to let the item go. I no longer need the item and I don't really need the money either...money would be nice but I don NEED it for this item.

This means sometimes I have an item for sale all weekend with multiple people looking at it many times. Eventually someone makes and offer and I say okay, or I ask for just a bit more.
Then the wows and wonderment begin by those who did not make an offer.
Usually something like, "Man if I had known you would take that much I would have bought it the first time." I usually answer with something like you are probably correct but you did not make an offer so I could not tell you yes or no. That guy actually made an offer.

Anyway, your engine is not a casual purchase so your "reasonable offers" statement kind of leaves you blowing in the breeze.
Post an asking price and see where it takes you.

My offer is $350.

Great advise - I agree with you, I can’t tell how many times people say make an offer and when I ask them what they want for it they say they don’t know. I strongly suggest that people who are selling have a price they will take and put it out there. If they don’t don’t get offended if the offer is not given, maybe because the potential buyer is afraid to offend the seller. I personally don’t like getting into a bidding war. This is only my opinion and I’am sure some will disagree.

cleandan

Silver forum user
Great advise - I agree with you, I can’t tell how many times people say make an offer and when I ask them what they want for it they say they don’t know. I strongly suggest that people who are selling have a price they will take and put it out there. If they don’t don’t get offended if the offer is not given, maybe because the potential buyer is afraid to offend the seller. I personally don’t like getting into a bidding war. This is only my opinion and I’am sure some will disagree.
My personal favorite is the "make offer" guy who gets quite offended, and often angry, at any offer under what he considers fair and reasonable.
The other part of the "make offer" guy is his perceived value of said item.

I have lost count on the number of times I have heard a sentence similar to:
"Do you have any idea what these go for online?" or "At the last swap meet I saw a guy sell three of these for $$$$$ dollars."

To which I always think to myself...Well, then place a sign on the part with that price if it is so valuable and worthy of said price...what is the harm in a price tag if you know the value?

I honestly think these guys believe someone will ramble up to the table and say, "I'll give you $1,250 for that intake." when they know full well it is really worth somewhere around $150.

Along similar lines and thought processes. I repair small engine items from time to time. Sometimes the customer says "junk the thing" because they really want to buy a new one anyway. Occasionally I get a good item that needs minor repairs because of this. I fix it and give it away to someone who needs a bit of a break.
Once in a while I will try to get rid of it though. Say it is a regular 21" mower, maybe even self propelled. After repairs and testing if I put it out on the curb with a "FREE" sign it will sit there for a long, long time.
If I put it out with a $75 price sign it will be taken (stolen) within two hours.
If I put it out there with a $100-$200 price sign it will again sit for a long long time.

The psychology of selling used items is a game to be sure.

Last edited:

1965_Tiger

Silver forum user
CAT Member
From the reciept you gave me I think you had 3x into it.

I might just part it out and build my 289.

Paul

1965_Tiger

Silver forum user
CAT Member
$1000.00

$1000.00 firm.
Located in SF East Bay.
I will crate up to ship with the buyer paying the shipping.

Paul

kenmat

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Tiger 260 Engine

Paul,
I am resending my inquiry into your 260 engine as I have been having issues with the website and don't know if you got my first inquiry.
Was it built stock or performance? I can arrange Bay Area pick up
You can contact me at
(214) 856 - 5124
Regards
Ken