Leaky Toploader

ramseyt

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I've had an oil leak from top of my transmission sinse I got the car going a few weeks ago. I finally got around to checking it out. I put (light) air pressure through the filler plug hole to make it leak. The only place the air comes out is the vent hole in the top cover. If I place my finger over the vent hole then pressure builds in the transmision and there are no leaks of any kind. The cover bolts are so tight I can't break them loose with only a wrench. I suspect the gasket was replaced with some kind of sealer during last gear inspection. The previous owner had just upgraded to the 302 and he said the transmission was checked out while it was down. I understand the gasket served as a baffle for the vent. Using a mirror I can see the oil is on top of the cover so it appears it is coming out the vent hole. If I could get the cover bolts loose I might be able fish the cover out and clean the surface and install the gasket.

If I can't devise a tool to break these cover bolts loose then, OMG!!, can the transmission be pulled out without pulling the motor with it?:eek:

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Ain't gonna happen !

One of the cars we restored some years back had a complete hatchback tunnel fabricated in it from some prior owner. Not smart, but functional. And we've seen the attempts made to remove everything attached in an effort to slide the tranny back and down (nope!). Basically, when all is said and done, the motor and tranny get dropped out.
There has always been some spitting from the vent hole, but unless you're over filling the fluids, not much. If there is a tear in the top cover's gasket, it may increase the splash affect internally and puddle more fluid near the vent hole.

George Simpson

Gold forum user
tranny removal made easy

Look at Wilfred Potter sunbeam tiger on british V8 site (removed complete x member from under car) looks great the way they should of been made

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
It almost Happened

"OMG!!, can the transmission be pulled out without pulling the motor with it?"

Shop Notes page D-1. I changed out the clutch & T-O Bearing on my back in the carport as a much younger man.

That said I cannot recommend it. The transmission does not have enough clearance to drop out even with the clutch and bellhousing on the floor. Wiggling the bellhousing out is like solving a very heavy and frustrating puzzle. Much cussin' and testing tolerance for pain required.

All in all one of my proudest accomplishments. And one I will never do again.

Rick

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
AHA !!

Look at Wilfred Potter sunbeam tiger on british V8 site (removed complete x member from under car) looks great the way they should of been made

Hmmmmmm; We've had this unfinished clone body hanging from the rafters for a couple of decades and that structural change just might happen here . . . . . . . . . .;)

Maliburevue

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Too much of a good thing?

My first guess would be the transmission has too much oil in it, like Randy mentioned. I recommend draining the transmission and refilling it with the correct amount of oil.

If the amount of fluid is correct, perhaps the cover gasket has a tear/hole in it and the fluid is just 'splashing' out.

ramseyt

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I've had an oil leak from top of my transmission sinse I got the car going a few weeks ago. I finally got around to checking it out. I put (light) air pressure through the filler plug hole to make it leak. The only place the air comes out is the vent hole in the top cover. If I place my finger over the vent hole then pressure builds in the transmision and there are no leaks of any kind. The cover bolts are so tight I can't break them loose with only a wrench. I suspect the gasket was replaced with some kind of sealer during last gear inspection. The previous owner had just upgraded to the 302 and he said the transmission was checked out while it was down. I understand the gasket served as a baffle for the vent. Using a mirror I can see the oil is on top of the cover so it appears it is coming out the vent hole. If I could get the cover bolts loose I might be able fish the cover out and clean the surface and install the gasket.

If I can't devise a tool to break these cover bolts loose then, OMG!!, can the transmission be pulled out without pulling the motor with it?:eek:

One of the cars we restored some years back had a complete hatchback tunnel fabricated in it from some prior owner. Not smart, but functional. And we've seen the attempts made to remove everything attached in an effort to slide the tranny back and down (nope!). Basically, when all is said and done, the motor and tranny get dropped out.
There has always been some spitting from the vent hole, but unless you're over filling the fluids, not much. If there is a tear in the top cover's gasket, it may increase the splash affect internally and puddle more fluid near the vent hole.

Thanks for the info. I'm pretty sure the cover gasket was left off. The bolts just couldn't be that tight if a gasket was under the cover. I was able to stick a 1" long pin down through the vent hole and didn't feel it touch anything. I have decided to disconnect the shifter and tranny mounts and unbolt it from the bellhousing. My hope is that while supporting the back of the motor I can rotate the tranny enough to get better access to the cover bolts and break them loose. If I'm successful with that I will post a photo of the tranny rotated sufficiant for this activity, just in case it could benifit someone else.

Last edited:

Maliburevue

Gold forum user
CAT Member
You might have to run for cover

You may well be right about a missing cover. Without a cover whoever did it may have tightened the bolts so much to try and close the gap that they may have bottomed out the bolts in the casing and they just kept torquing them.

ramseyt

Gold forum user
CAT Member
In-car Transmission Cover Removal

:)Yes! No cover gasket! I supported the engine at the bellhousing, removed the tranny mounts and the bolts fastening the tranny to the bellhousing, disconnected the shifter, linkages, and speedo cable. I was able to rotate the transmission enough to get a (six point) socket on the bolts to break them loose. I could now see that the bolts have a necessary flange under the head which increase contact area and made them impossible to loosen with only a wrench at my fingertips. The cover had no gasket and was sealed with some type of RTV.

I have posted the photos to show what it looks like with the tranny rotated to access the cover bolts in case someone else is faced with this problem. You can also see in the cover/gasket photo that the vent/drain holes are positioned so that oil doesn't spray directly thru the vent hole in the cover, as was in my case. I also should note that my cover has two bolts longer than the others. I have found that they are for two holes that have the threads relieved, perhaps for hollow dowels in some other application??

:)Thanks to all for the comments toward helping me resolve this issue!!

George Simpson

Gold forum user
Transmission removal

Hi, C.A.T. member Bob Shields (Los Alamitos Ca.) has a removable X section under car for easy transmission removal does anyone know if tiger tales ever did a article about all the mods on Bobs amazing conversion?

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Patience !!

:
I have posted the photos to show what it looks like with the tranny rotated to access the cover bolts in case someone else is faced with this problem. You can also see in the cover/gasket photo that the vent/drain holes are positioned so that oil doesn't spray directly thru the vent hole in the cover, as was in my case. I also should note that my cover has two bolts longer than the others. I have found that they are for two holes that have the threads relieved, perhaps for hollow dowels in some other application??

Stubborn and resourceful ain't ya . . . . . .

ramseyt

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Nary a Drop!!

:)Yes! No cover gasket! I supported the engine at the bellhousing, removed the tranny mounts and the bolts fastening the tranny to the bellhousing, disconnected the shifter, linkages, and speedo cable. I was able to rotate the transmission enough to get a (six point) socket on the bolts to break them loose. I could now see that the bolts have a necessary flange under the head which increase contact area and made them impossible to loosen with only a wrench at my fingertips. The cover had no gasket and was sealed with some type of RTV.

I drove the Tiger about 100 miles today and didn't find a single drop of anything under the car after it was parked for a while.:D

Tiger tamer

Gold forum user
Looks as though I shall be trying this trick first. My trans is doing the same.
Since the trans was checked over by a professional trans shop and had new seals I ain't that happy.

As my engine is probably 100hp more than the original, would I need to block off this vent and fit one to the tail shaft. Can't find any good info on when the mod is necessary.

Thanks Mal

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Puke spigot

Looks as though I shall be trying this trick first. My trans is doing the same.
Since the trans was checked over by a professional trans shop and had new seals I ain't that happy.

As my engine is probably 100hp more than the original, would I need to block off this vent and fit one to the tail shaft. Can't find any good info on when the mod is necessary.

Thanks Mal

The Cobra application often has an 1/8" pipe elbow brazed to the vent hole and then plumbed with small hose to a high point in the engine compartment. Not pretty, but effective . . . . .I also find that the gasket itself will "weep" around the bolt holes, probably from plain old heat expansion over time.

Tiger tamer

Gold forum user
No Gasket

Same deal as ramseyt. No gasket used, just sealer. I have made my own gasket out of .62mm gasket paper. Is this about the same as they supply ?.

Randy, the 1/8 elbow idea seems like a good idea to me. May do it as I have not needed to drop the drive-train out.

ramseyt

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Gasket thickness

I'm impressed that you may have made the gasket from my photo. The holes are probably strategically placed to work with vent holes on more than one transmission model. I have seen top loaders that had the vent hole in a different location. As I recall the new gasket was about as thick as the paper of a cereal box. I bumped the bolt holes back out to encourage good contact in the area between the holes. I also so no harm in using a good tacky gasket adhesive.

Glad to know some of my articles can be worthwhile after all.

ramseyt

Tiger tamer

Gold forum user
Very worthwhile thanks ramseyt. I was getting ready to drop the engine and box out when I discovered this topic. The top bolt to the bell housing on the linkage side was the difficuilt one to undo. I had to take to a ring spanner with a angle grinder and notch the handle a little as the handle was resting against the gearbox. I had to create a little space to break the bolt, then grind more away to undo it a little more. The other top bolt I used 3 different ring spanners to undo it. Got there in the end :)

tiger260

Gold forum user
Bit of a thread resurrection going on here but I am trying to make a top cover gasket for my toploader at the moment. (They're quite expensive over here).

Does anyone know what thickness the card should be?
Anyone got one handy they could check for me with a mic or verneir?

Thanks.