QA1 Rear Shocks

sandy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Just getting round' to posting some pics here. The easy ones first ;)

I ordered some QA1 Rear shocks for the 9" swap (axle is in the car!). They make a very close sized coil over that has very close to the same dimensions as the Koni's that I removed from the stock rear.

Koni travel as measured from center of eyelet to top of the bottom mounting rubber (the bottom of the car side).

Koni's
Extended - 19.75"
Compressed - 12.5"

QA1 DS701 (Single Adjustable) DD701 (Double Adjustable)
Extended - 19.5"
Compressed - 13"

These particular shocks are threaded body coil over style with rod end or bushing style ends. They do require SS100SD top, that replaces the rod end on the top and makes the shock have the same attaching method as the stock shock. Bottom for my application will be a 1/2" mount bolt.

They do seem to have shocks that match the same size, smooth body and with the correct attaching ends but you will have to call or poke around the QA1 site to see them (hint Mustang Cobra rears).

Here are new and old...

sandy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I have them going on the 9" and they seem like they would work find on the D44 that is stock. You can get them in coil over (threaded) or smooth body as well, but I'm not sure of the part number. They have a couple of other lengths that might work as well. My measurements were off the Koni's and they matched pretty good.

Might have a photo of it on one of these pages, can't remember if I put much info on the shocks.

I think the pictures mentions on the original post were hastily removed by the admin at one point but here are a couple of photos and links that might help.

The pics are the koni's compressed and extended. Can't remember what's on the links, they may or may not be helpful for stock D44 rears.

http://gtsparkplugs.com/sunbeam_tiger_axle_swap.html
http://gtsparkplugs.com/sunbeam_tiger_leaf_spring_mouting_plate.html

Sandy

Attachments

• 112-800x.jpg
    112-800x.jpg
    334.6 KB · Views: 211
  • 113-800x.jpg
    113-800x.jpg
    352.1 KB · Views: 198

sandy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
If you are local to L.A. Area you can come an borrow one to see how it will work.

Sandy

Hoghead

Gold forum user
The QA1 TS706 and TS708 have almost the same length as your Konis at 20.5 x 13" and the correct end fitting, but not sure if the valving is appropriate

have asked QA1 but not holding my breath for a speedy answer

sandy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Not sure what the main difference between the 706 and 708 as the dimensions are really close, maybe something specific to the Mustang vs. generic.

As to valving I'm under the impression that with adjustable I can dial it in anywhere I need. I may be wrong on that, but with the double adjustable should not be a problem, unless your are trying to get a specific curve like some of the custom valved shocks.

One thing to do if you are going to order a set it make sure you get the bottom bushing/ball that you want. I think they come with plastic bushings or plastic ball ends that snap in. I got the metal ones just because :)

Sandy

DD (CA)

Gold forum user
CAT Member
1970-1981 Firebird rears

QA1 got back to me and recommend their TS-702
19.63 x 13"

So... would it not stand to reason one could start shopping others that fit for the Firebird, or is some other work needed to get them on our car?

sandy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The 702's look like they are close, bottom attaching is correct for the stock Tiger and the ones I got looks pretty close size wise.

Compressed
DS701: 13" - threaded body bottom for bolt - Sandy's 9" matching Tiger Koni's
TS702: 13.13" - smooth body, bottom with stud - stock D44

Extended Height -
DS701: 19.5"
TS702: 19.63"

Just need to get the stud top conversion and should be good to go. Not sure what all the different series have internally but the 702's look like a good swap and if I want the smooth body's I'll get a set ;)

Sandy

sandy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
So... would it not stand to reason one could start shopping others that fit for the Firebird, or is some other work needed to get them on our car?

Only if you can swap out the top end mounting. The QA1's you can so it will work, but a welded shock with non removable top won't.

I think I did find that a 70's Ford Pick Up rear shock matched with similar length and ends, someone may have also mentioned this, but can't remember who.

Sandy

sandy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
In thinking about and looking at old pics, the ts702 would only work if they can run inverted. I had it wrong, you would not need the stud top, but remove the tee mount and bolt through like stock.

The adjuster will be at the top, might be a pain to get at.

Sandy

Edit : looks like they can run inverted

at the beach

Gold forum user
CAT Member
*Hijack alert*

Sandy,
While this has nothing to do with the shocks you are selling, I didn't want to start a whole new thread just to comment about the Tiger gas pedal linkage upgrade you posted on your website. I built one. It's dramatically smoother and much more solid and more easily adjustable than the stock attempt.
Thanks for sharing your great design!

Buck
at the beach