Shifter Boot

CLIFF_MK1

Gold forum user
CAT Member
What type of Boot came with MK1. Most of Boots I have seen are rubber. But the Boot on my 9471187 is leather. I am not the original owner but I 've had it since 1971 an car was low milage. Any ideas?

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
After Market AMCO ??

From the 60's, the common leather option was an AMCO with a matching leather "Tiger" knob. I have both here somewhere in the loft . . . . . .

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
AMCO stateside, Alexander and styla in the UK .... But factory was plain Jane rubber :)

CLIFF_MK1

Gold forum user
CAT Member
My car didn't have the "Tiger" knob, but it had the leather boot. I like the looks of the leather boot, but I've tried to have an original Tiger interior, so I am leaning towards putting in the rubber boot which I think I got from SS. Any source for the "Tiger" knob? Sounds neat. Cliff

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Cliff,

Sunbeam specialties sells the repro tiger knobs, might just be the wooden ones, leather ones come up on eBay quite often.... Imho the leather ones don't look that nice having the seam on it.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
boot

Found a new SS catalog in the mail box today. SS shows a walnut tiger knob for 18.95. Part # IIP56TW

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
leather

I like the leather- the seam can be laced to close flush- looks a bit sportier than the old rubber boot:

sllkp1.jpg

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The seams I was referring are the ones on the knob, but as with all customisation they are personal preference.... If I could have the leather knob without a seam I'd do it :D

The gloves can look good, but when fitting the glove I would assume you still have the rubber under to stop fumes , sound etc coming into the car beyond what the glove can do

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
boot

An original NOS Alpine leather shift boot. Note that it has no ties to secure the top over the shift handle.

Last edited:

DCTiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Stock shifter boot above or below the carpet?

You would think that you would get a better seal on the hump under the carpet, but with my original carpet it looks crappy. The carpet hole is smaller and covers up the boot.

Looks like it should be carpet, boot on carpet, and then the trim ring, correct?

TIA,

CLIFF_MK1

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Sounds like the right sequence, and with insulation under the carpet. If the holes for the shifter are tight then there should be a fairly tight seal for either a rubber or leather boot. The rubber boot on mine is very tight, and the leather boot is loose. At this point not sure which one I'll use. Cliff