Bump steer kits

mwood

Gold forum user
I was able to find a set of the Hillman "drop" spindles recently (thanks, Jim!) and installed yesterday. Total drop was 7/8". I had also taken 1/2" off of the isolators Rick sells, which gave another ~1" (so, now I know our MR is around .5).

Only thing with the spindles is that the steering arm angle steepens a good amount, so I'm looking for the hardware to adjust. In the past, I've done a combo of a stud and Heim joint. Does anyone make a kit for the Tiger? Jim did point me to Speedway, which has adjustable tie rod studs, but I was curious if anyone is currently selling a kit with all needed parts. Don't know if there would be a market, because the Hillman spindles are so rare and I don't know that stock cars really need to be bump steered.

Thanks

Here's the "after" pic...I like the look, CG is down, the rake seems right and all with no sacrifice of travel :)

15ee83o.png

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Not sure about the kit... Quick question are they cobra classic bucket seats in the car or corbeau?

mwood

Gold forum user
They're Cobra. I considered both, but a local shop had the Cobras on sale for $279/ea and that made the choice easy :)
(they also are a very good match for the Alpine SV type smooth vinyl I used for the panels)
2s0er.jpg

Last edited:

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Had the same seats in my Alpine sii since 1997... Need to add eyelet holes on the sides for belts otherwise the lap won't hold you in tight .. Apart from that they are a great seat.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Good looking seats--I considered those for my beater this past summer. Do you sit higher in the car than stock? Sorry to get a little off course here. :)

mwood

Gold forum user
I've kept the ability to flip the seats forward, so they're a little bit higher than I'd like presently. I'm going to mount them directly to the offset plates I added to the stock sliders and that will take care of it.

I can't stand the stock seats. Flimsy and minimal lateral support. These were a good addition to the car.

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
I used the 7° adapter studs http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Adjustable-Tie-Rod-Adapter-Stud-to-Heim,3333.html which were very close to 'right' in my MGB steering arms... IIRC, I had to 'adjust' the taper very slightly on the lathe for a perfect fit!
I like to err on the side of 'strong' so I used a pair of QA1 heims... http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/hal-xfr10/overview/ along with some beveled washers and spacers...They will do 16° misalignment which seems to be O.K. You can see the various pieces in the pic including the heim at 'full' misalignment. Most 'kits' use lighter heim joints which worries me a bit :eek:
You can also see that the heim is close to the same length as the stock tie rod end and has a 5/8" UNF thread so screws right on the tie rod. Most Mustang 'kits' have 9/16"-18 or M14x1.5 on the tie rod side :(

Last edited:

mwood

Gold forum user
Jim, that looks like a good solution. I was asking because I saw the 7 degree taper and thought it wasn't going to be quite right. I have access to a lathe to modify, but was hoping there might be something off the shelf, with the right angle and all of the safety washers, bronze bushings, fasteners etc...you know, make life easy :)

Agree, the heims in the Mustang kits I've used can be sketchy. Maximum Motorsports used Aurora's, but the other vendors aren't so picky.