Rebuild or replace ?

catcollector

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Looking thru the parts for sale, I see a fully rebuilt front suspension for sale $6500 ?

I am debating weather to rebuild my original or replace with a Dales ( $4300)

It cant possibly cost that much to rebuild, can it?

If I do choose to rebuild it, what am I looking at cost wise, and are all the parts available?

Thanks

Warren

Gold forum user
Test drive

I have never driven a car equipped with Dale's front end. I did drive Bud's Williams old car now owned by Rick J.
That car has a Hokanson version and it transforms the car making it feel like it's a car out of the 80's.
I told Dale when I was there last time that if he had someone with a stock car equipped with his front end for guys to test drive they'd be blowing out his doors as fast as he could get them made.
Cost is related to what's wrong with your stock front end.
I had a restorer remind me and say to me well you haven't actually had to press the bushing is in yourself have you? How can you talk about something you've never done. To which I replied I can't I've used a hydraulic press before on Transmissions but never had that wrestling match and don't envy someone having to do it for the first time. I think on all the postings I've read on this forum and on the tiger email list it's not a job for the timid and that is what I do know.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
DITTO and More DITTO

I have never driven a car equipped with Dale's front end. I did drive Bud's Williams old car now owned by Rick J.
That car has a Hokanson version and it transforms the car making it feel like it's a car out of the 80's.
I told Dale when I was there last time that if he had someone with a stock car equipped with his front end for guys to test drive they'd be blowing out his doors as fast as he could get them made.
Cost is related to what's wrong with your stock front end.
I had a restorer remind me and say to me well you haven't actually had to press the bushing is in yourself have you? How can you talk about something you've never done. To which I replied I can't I've used a hydraulic press before on Transmissions but never had that wrestling match and don't envy someone having to do it for the first time. I think on all the postings I've read on this forum and on the tiger email list it's not a job for the timid and that is what I do know.

Thanks for the caution of self-pressing. The pile of wounded warriors out behind the shop displays the scars of many attempts by the inexperienced. :O

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Looking thru the parts for sale, I see a fully rebuilt front suspension for sale $6500 ?

I am debating weather to rebuild my original or replace with a Dales ( $4300)

It cant possibly cost that much to rebuild, can it?

If I do choose to rebuild it, what am I looking at cost wise, and are all the parts available?

Thanks

As others have mentioned some procedures are harder than others and can result in damage... Not just by owners but also shops inexperienced in sunbeams (same issue of lack of knowledge when shops try and press off hubs instead of using a puller..argh)

All parts are available and also uprated parts... As for price .. Is 4300 for dales front end all in and reday to bolt on?

As for value of the rebuilt front member.... I would suspect if yours is dimensionally not to bad or cracked you could rebuild it more economically even with some pro labor. It depends on what you want... If you want a stock unit to bolt straight in and go maybe it's an option.. But nk warranty with it....

Whats the current issues with your existing unit?

67tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Like has been said already the cost to rebuild an existing front end with everything new and then your time spent in doing whatever you don't hire out will determine your cost. I happen to be the one with the listed front end at $6,500.00, I have know idea what it's worth, but when original cars need a depleting supply of original parts it tends to inflate the asking price. When the cost of a good original car can go as high as $140,000.00 one has to wonder what percent of that cars value is in a complete front end. If my car was completely original there's no way I'd part with any original part, if your cars like mine I'd buy Dale's, and by the way the $4,300.00 doesn't include brakes, or shocks, it's not a loaded unit and the base price has gone up from what's on his website. Cheers

norm1

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I just rebuilt mine. A couple hundred $ of parts, Welding after inspection and dimension verifying and a press with tooling for the bushings, maybe 25-40 hours of work........

Jon B

Silver forum user
CAT Member
For what it's worth, I paid $6205 for one of Dale's front ends with QA1 coilovers and 12" Wilwood brakes.

-Jon

catcollector

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Thanks for the replies.

I am leaning towards the Dales front end package.

Jon, what are your impressions of the set up you got from Dale?

Jon B

Silver forum user
CAT Member
I haven't installed it yet, but it's a very well-built piece. Looks great sitting on the floor of my garage!

CLIFF_MK1

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I have the same setup. With the 12" rotors you have to go with 16" wheels. If you want 15" wheels go with 11" rotors. Also, it's hard to find wheels with the needed back space since the front end is wide and to get the wheels inside the fender, it needs a deep backspace. Another thing is the wheel alighnment is difficult. The toe in/out is easy, but for camber and caster, it is nesessary to take the control arms apart, make an adjustment, put it back together and see where you are. If it's not close, do it again. Can be done, but takes time which is money at the front end shop. Might want to talk to Dale about this when you are considering what to buy. Cliff