C.A.T. Stainless Headers

CT Tiger

Silver forum user
Thanx Cliff I will try the wix filter . No accidents I know all the owners of this car back to new . But I expect to play with things to get them in right . Some folks say they drop right in and others say they had to cut and pound things . But that's typical Tiger stuff .

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Header update

As I write this, we are in possession of a prototype set of headers.

The fixtures had previously been rebuilt with poor results.

We are in the process of tweaking the fixtures,

and, as it turns out, tweaking the prototype set of headers as well.

Coincidentally, we currently have the #5 tube (front tube, left side) off

because it was not in the desired position.

This is the only tube near the oil filter.

As it turns out, the current prototype set has the most oil filter clearance of all the sets we have as a reference.

However, we have the opportunity to improve the clearance even more.

But the process is PAINFULLY slow and we have to draw the line somewhere.

My suggestion is, IF you plan/hope to use a short filter on the engine block with headers,

you should pre-fit to make sure there is clearance between the tube and the filter.

Past header batches (with the old fixtures) had the priority of clearance given to the motor mount area with the oil filter clearance a secondary concern.

Last edited:

Warren

Gold forum user
Great work

Dan has been at this for a long time. Finding the best design and the closest to a one size fits all is a fantastic contribution.

CT Tiger

Silver forum user
Maybe I will try a 90 degree oil filter adapter off a ford van . I don't want to starve my motor at hi revs .

TigerBob86

Silver forum user
Thank you so much for all the work on the headers!! Is there a rough idea when the new headers might be available?
-Bob

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Header update II

Gary Hanks and I have test fitted the prototype headers, using Tom Sakai's arrow straight White Tiger.

We were both surprised how well they fit!

Past headers have had a situation where the motor mount hangers were tight fitting on the front on one side and tight fitting on the rear on the other side.

So the motor HAD to be in Only one position!

This prototype set of headers has more clearance for the motor mount hangers, allowing more movement of the motor, front to rear.

Also, we installed a shorty oil filter,

The #5 tube is a tight fit as it wraps around the oil filter, but has more clearance than the typical headers before (old fixtures).

The prototype set of headers is in the hands of the manufacturer to duplicate.

We'll see IF we have fixtures adequate to build good fitting headers.

The manufacturer suggests 6-8 weeks of production time.

Last edited:

norm1

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Maybe they will stop undercutting the gasket area with a grinder on this batch.......

norm1

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Maybe they will stop undercutting the gasket area with a grinder on this batch.......

Michael

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
I'm also curious about the progress. I have headers on mine but they are of unknown type. Two issues are they don't line up well with the frame cut outs (too wide) and they block spark plug access.

I have cast iron dart heads which I thought had stock plug positioning. I'm not sure where the shop that did the install would have found SB ford headers that don't allow spark plug access. Now I'm questioning both the heads and the headers. Guess job one is now confirming the build on the heads, then get headers, then the exhaust (which was the original "simple" fix)

It is always fun how a small job grows into a large one :rolleyes:

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Header Update III

I talked to the Header production people today.

They are still in process.

They suggested at least another week and a half.

I'm not holding my breath about when they are ready... to inspect.

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
spmdr

Dan, what is the meaning of your user name? The first time I saw you post I read it as 'sperm donor' and couldn't stop laughing...Kirk.

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
spmdr....

Kirk, The rest of the story...

Back when I started email, I wanted a short address/name, so I picked from my intended line of work.

S: Sunbeam
P: Performance
M: Maintenance
DR: well, the dude getting the hands on....doing the "Operations", so to speak...

...and you thought it was a little more racy...:D...:------

casarris

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Headers

Any word on delivery date for the headers? My engine is ready to install and wondering when these will be available.

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Header update IV

Gary Hanks is keeping tabs on the current batch of SS headers, as best he can.

Last Friday the excuse was short on help ("guys out").

BUT, they claim to be Welding!

And I'm sure the Holidays are not going to help speed up production.

So, the report is " a little closer to being ready".:cool:

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Header Update V

The Headers are done!

Gary H, Bill G and I picked them up after doing a quick check of the all of the Left side # 2 pipes (FO #6).

We had checked all of the Left side #1 pipes (FO#5) before all of the welding was done.

We are planning to check EVERY part in the Fixtures and mark them for QC follow up.

We were concerned how well production consistency would turn out and so far we are very optimistic.

We did find a few parts that are outside of our desirable tolerances but even those parts go onto a car.

With our checking, so far, I am confident that this batch of headers will be the best over all fitting headers, of the original S&S design (1 5/8" tube).

Also, with more room around the Motor Mount Hangers, installing them is easier than previous batches.

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thanks for All the Efforts

Dan,

C.A.T. members owe you, Gary H., and Bill G. a great deal of thanks for pulling this off. I know that many hours of time on the part of all of you (all volunteers) were needed to get these headers produce, to be the best ever. I hope the buyers all recognize it, too.

Thanks!