Alger in Vintage Races?

zero2toy

Bronze forum user
Hello everyone. Hypothetically speaking, could an Alger attend and race at the vintage races. I know in SCCA you can swap motors from better versions of the same car. Just wondering.

chirodoc

Gold forum user
TIGER RACING

In scca GT2 you can really press the issue. Barry Schoenberger's GT2 Tiger started as a pile of tubular steel and blueprints. The only Rootes piece on the body is the rear cowl section, the rest is fiberglass. Once it was described as a minature Trans Am car. It goes like stink.
Tom Patton's GT2 championship winning Tiger isn't a tube frame car like Barry's. It gets a weight break. The tub of the body was once a Rootes product, but both front and rear clips are now tube framed.
At big historic races like Laguna Seca, the cars must have a documented racing history.
Many years ago I began preparing my MK1A and my driver credentials for what later became the Chicago Historic races, when the cars just had to be period correct and look good.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Out west I believe it was around 1989 that they grandfathered cars in--by that I mean if it was a race car only the year before it was now a Historic Race car. I know the Edelbrock's GT350's were street cars the first 10-15 yrs before hitting the track, now they attend all the historic/vintage races.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
It would very much depend on how accurate a conversion it is.. and what series it raced in. For monetery the cars cant just be old cars n race tune... tyhey have to have period racing history....

now.. the interesting thing is the FIA HTP (historical techincal passport) in theory if you built a correct alger as per period racing tiger.. they would allow you to race it as a sunbeam tiger recreation in historic events... thats how the lancia D50 and ferrari 156 sharknose exist in historics today.. they were all destroyed but toolroom copies have been made.. autheenticalted as recreations and now race.. then you get into the isue of why recreations are faster than the orignials.. is it because the owners dont care about them as much as they are not "hisotric" or are they better made?

zero2toy

Bronze forum user
So what if its an ALGER

Thanks everyone for your responses. I figured it wouldn't be easy but possible. I just see these Alpines for $2000 on ebay and the wheels start turning... I guess if I really wanted to I could take an Alger to the track as a Tiger historic racer. I just worry about it being a "converted" tiger and people/officials saying that is not a true tiger, which I would never claim. I guess it really wouldn't matter unless I was winning. I just want to go out on the track and have fun in a Sunbeam even if the badge says ALGER. :D

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Algers can go fast too

I wuz always fond of "run whatcha brung" hobby class. Until the rules' changes in SCCA thru 67 & 68, you could slap some scary mongrels on the track and run with the big boys, even if it was just to watch their rear ends fade in the distance. We have helped build clone bodies for hobbyists who want fun drivers to beat up, but we call them Ti-Pines . . . . . .