15" wheels

AshUK

Silver forum user
I like the libre look on the tigers and alpines but wonder if 15 with only 4 spokes will end up looking a bit hollow when on the car? The 23 look great as the spokes are chunky and not to much fresh air between them... Think they offer 14 for our application currently ? The correct offestes would be a bug help... Keep us up to date... Be nice to have some other options and the PSE halibrands seem to be harder to get from new supplier and the image whhels out of UK are prohibitively expensive

Not sure about the 15" ?

dlyle

Gold forum user
CAT Member
If that's a 15" it doesn't get my vote. I'm not a big fan of lower profile tires. I like the days where there was more rubber between me and the road. I get that 13 and 14 inch tires are getting difficult to come by but I still prefer the looks of these tires.

Looking at that photo though....there appears to be a little more room for a taller tire. That would help.

AshUK

Silver forum user
I was thinking the same thing. Someday I hope to trim down a ford 8.8" rear end that already has the 5 bolt pattern with disk brakes. Up front I am hoping to have some kind of modified 5 bolt hub or some such custom hub with fancy brakes.
Until then, this is my computer background shot. Yep it's photo-shopped...

American racing still makes these but not too sure the offsets are right for the wheels offered. The rears don't matter cuz the axle can be cut to fit. The front might prove to be more difficult.

Cheers, -Kevin

1965_sunbeam_tiger_3_0copy_zps676011c5.jpg

Kevin

I have looked into doing this and the A.R.E S200 will not fit inside the fenders with the original front subframe due to the wheel offsets available. You could fit a 15x6 Torque Thrust but you will need to custom fab front hubs to reduce the track 1" each side then modify the spindles!

mwood

Gold forum user
If that's a 15" it doesn't get my vote. I'm not a big fan of lower profile tires. I like the days where there was more rubber between me and the road. I get that 13 and 14 inch tires are getting difficult to come by but I still prefer the looks of these tires.

Looking at that photo though....there appears to be a little more room for a taller tire. That would help.

Personally, I think Tigers look just right on 13" wheels and wider, 60 aspect ratio tires. Love that look. 14's are good, too.

But, the tire availability issue isn't going to get better. When I swap out the current VTO "Minilite" style wheels for the 15" Retro 4 (Libre style) next month, I'm going to be looking at a little more sidewall than the current 195/50's I'm running. The difficulty will be finding a set up that also performs as well as my current "square" configuration with the good sidewall profiles that come from running a 195 on 6/7" rims. The common staggered set up used on Tigers is not very effective...sure does look good, though!

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
The recent thread on 14" tires made me think posting this up might be helpful...a pic of a soon to be available, new wheel option for our cars.

I've been working with VTO wheels, the supplier of the Minilite replicas Tim Suddard used on the Classic Motorsports Tiger project wheels, towards production of a 15" replica of the old American Racing Libre wheel. The picture is of a prototype, which has a mocked up 4X108 bolt pattern for test fitting purposes. Final versions will have the 4X108 pattern, along with pressed steel inserts to allow use of modern 60 degree conical lug nuts.

So... by the looks of the pic that AshUK posted, Retrosport (based out of Florida ) already makes almost an identical wheel to the 'new' VTO... According to their website, they have a 15 x 6 and soon to have a 15 x 7 to fit Alpine and Tiger

http://www.retrosportwheels.com/products/rsf15x6.html

Wonder how the 2 compare for price/quality ??

Jim
B382000446

mwood

Gold forum user
I think the biggest design difference is the VTO wheels use steel, tapered lug inserts, while Retro Sport bores a 60 degree taper into the wheel material. The steel insert is obviously harder, which keeps a nice interface between the lug and the seating surface. Both wheels are gravity cast aluminum.

The VTO's are less money.

Also, I believe the 7" RS wheels have been "coming soon" since 2010...

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
I like the tapered inserts much better than the old 'mag' style wheel nuts... I have them on the 14 x 7 & 8 Epsilons on my Tiger... I have receipt from the P.O. ...$1000 for them in 1982 :eek:
Probably the most 'unobtainium' parts on the whole car!!:rolleyes:

mwood

Gold forum user
As an update...the 15" Libre replicas from VTO should be available first week of October.

They are also in design/mold creation stage for 15" LAT70 wheels in a 6.5" width, which will be available exclusively through Sunbeam Specialties. ETA is likely early spring. :)

Erich

Gold forum user
They are also in design/mold creation stage for 15" LAT70 wheels in a 6.5" width, which will be available exclusively through Sunbeam Specialties. ETA is likely early spring. :)

This makes me very happy. :)

acorra

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
15" Wheel offsets

I'm shopping 15" wheels. What is the proper offsets I need to spec for stock, 4-bolt hubs? I'll likely upgrade to Wildwood brakes in the future, but I believe these are available with the same 4-bolt pattern/ size.

Is the wheel pictured available yet? Thanks for any feedback.

mwood

Gold forum user
Figured it was time to update this thread. Pics below are of the first production set of the VTO Retro 4's for our cars. Fronts are 15X6" et 22 ($174/ea) and rears are 15X7" et 20 ($178/ea). Tires fitted are 205/50. The current center caps are 35mm height, but Barry is sending me some shorter ones and is considering a run of near flush caps (my vote).

I'm really pleased with the way the wheels turned out and the quality. Next up for VTO, related to Tigers, is the 15" LAT70 replica, which Rick at Sunbeam Specialties has commissioned (I guess you could say...he's having them made).

It is nice to have another option and VTO has been great, from an out of the blue phone call from me six months ago to job one.

24fa8mu.png

2v0hcaw.png

Last edited:

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Nice !!

Good retro look on that rig . . . .Is there any turning interference with the front valence?

mwood

Gold forum user
No clearance issues with the valence, at all. But, the sidewall bulge extends a little past the fender line (a byproduct of stuffing too much tire on a 6" rim and screwing up the sidewall profile) and the shoulder is pretty close to flush. Even with the car being lowered, I don't think rubbing will be an issue, as I have -1.25 camber tilting the wheel in plus what camber gain there is roll...but, I'm definitely going to monitor. I see anything that looks like rub and the 195 Toyo's are going back on. I got the 205 section width Federal RS-R's from a sponsor, so figured I'd at least give them a try.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
The wheels look much better on the car than just a picture of them. I ran 205 in front and 225 in back with 6's and 7's with no rubbing.

mwood

Gold forum user
The rear offset is a little less than the equivalent Panasport, to lessen the "crab track" look without resorting to spacers, so the tire will be closer to the lip. I'd guess a 225 is a definite no-go without rolling the lips. The square set up performs better, anyhow :p

edit: I did some measuring today and am now thinking a 225 might fit...definitely will fit with rolled fenders. I actually stuck the 1/4 wheel centric spacers I got years ago on today and have "just right" clearance with the 205 section width. Looks bitchin' and a little more rear track width.

Last edited:

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Good to know, and now you can rotate tires if needed, requires a dismount but better than buying new tires.

Warren

Gold forum user
Easy to clean

I like the wheels cause they have a dark center that will hide brake dust. I just hate the time spent cleaning spokes on a cycle or 8 spoke mini lite replicas.

mwood

Gold forum user
Yes, the wheel pictured is very similar, as both are Libre replicas. I believe there is also some history shared between VTO and Retro Sport. Given what I know about the foundry work, the added cost to fit steel lug inserts and the availability of a 7" version (in addition to 6"), the VTO seems like a better bet than the Retro Sport. It is also interesting that Retro Sport seem to be heavily discounting their wheels currently...not sure what that's all about, maybe looking to dispose of inventory. VTO is also going to be supporting the Tiger market through their work with Sunbeam Specialties on the 15" LAT70 replica.

Yes, I'm biased. :)

mwood

Gold forum user
I like the wheels cause they have a dark center that will hide brake dust. I just hate the time spent cleaning spokes on a cycle or 8 spoke mini lite replicas.

I actually tried to sell VTO on the idea of having them done with satin black centers, for a vintage race look...and less brake dust issues!

But, they said the black center gets "lost" in too many paint schemes. I think the anthracite centers look nice with my dark car...there's my bias, again :)