Intake manifold recommendations

zuluking

Bronze forum user
Im currently building a 347 stroker for my car and would like to know recommendations from the list for an intake manifold?

Cheers
frank

Tweak

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Depends on heads, compression ratio, etc.

I just had one built with an Edelbrock RPM. Did great on the dyno. It will be months before the real test in the car.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Im currently building a 347 stroker for my car and would like to know recommendations from the list for an intake manifold?

Cheers
frank

What kind of driving will you do mostly... What rev range will you actually use? Most people build motors that will spin up go hard etc... But majority of the time is between 2-4000rpm... So get the manifold that gives you torque and power there not high temp ponnies... There is a great ford site where they dumped a bunch of different manifolds on the same motor... Duke posted it a while back.. a quick forum search will find it

Jon B

Silver forum user
CAT Member
I looked at the reproduction Blue Thunder Tiger-lettered high-rise manifold at Bill Martin's shop (Rootes Group Depot). Huge runners which he said outflow a ported F4B. Really nice piece and would probably make great power with a 347. I think he said he has five of them left.

-Jon

PITT40

Gold forum user
Performer RPMs are good up to 475-500hp max. If you aren't shooting higher than that, it's perfect. I just dyno'd my 347 at 466hp @4900 rpm and 443 ft/lbs of torque at 4900 rpm. Makes 400 ft/lbs at 3600 rom. I went with a smaller cam to get a broader power band rather than all on the top or I could have had 450+hp with a bigger cam and single plane intake.

Warren

Gold forum user
Street Dominator

Postage plus beer money mailed to US . I'm close to scrapping it.
Last time I was at Dale's he said he has Performers in a stack as take offs.

Tweak

Silver forum user
CAT Member
The air gap rpm and non air gap rpm are the same height. My measurements show my manifold height is the same with the air gap as the stock manifold with the 1" spacer. I have yet to install the motor to verify, but others have used this combo successfully.

I got the air gap for the air cooling hype. I love it for hiding wires and keeping things tidy.

Tiger347

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
On my Tiger I have run both the Performer RPM and the Air Gap and they both fit with either the stock or the LAT hood. I currently run an Air Gap with minor port work that will pull to 6800 rpm with the HP still climbing. I would also suggest you use the CAT headers . With a stroker motor the 1 5/8 primary tube will help keep your torque curve up at higher RPMs.

Brigand

Silver forum user
Sorry to crash the thread, but I need a new intake myself as my Tiger has an old Torker 289 with a Holley 1850s carb which means that there is so little clearance under the hood that the filter can be no more than 20mm. I strongly suspect that this could well be causing a misfire at high revs.

So will a Holley fit onto an Edelbrock manifold, and what air filters do you guys recommend?

Thanks.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
So will a Holley fit onto an Edelbrock manifold, and what air filters do you guys recommend?

Thanks.
Short answer yes... But depends. Depending which Holley's you have and which manifold.. there are 2 bolt pattern sizes on the carbs most manifolds have dual pattern.

As for bonnet clearance... That will again depend on.which edelbrock manifold you use... Your motor mounts and heat shields if you run a heat spacer between intake and carb...

So which edelbrock manifold are you looking at?
Which air filter housing are you running?

Brigand

Silver forum user
The jury is still out on which manifold, but I'm leaning towards a Performer RPM if it will fit. The air filter housing is currently a 12" round Moroso with a filter element that's been cut down to about 20mm to clear the bonnet - All rather nasty!

I'm hoping that I can run a repro of the original Tiger air filter, but again, that depends on clearance.

The carb is a Holley 1850 600cfm, there is no spacer between the carb and manifold, and as far as I am aware the engine mounts are stock.

Warren

Gold forum user
KnN

E-2859 is a very short filter that they rate for 450 to 500 CFM thru a combination of motor mount carb spacer or other jiggling n fiddling you may be surprised at what will fit. Be sure to use the clay play dough or some of the Mrs culinary creations to check fit. By using their size chart you can pick height to cram in as much as possible. I have a 2'' with a Weiand Stealth and it looks better being taller.
The paper style that Sunbeam Specialties sells is pretty tall and is white paper not that light yellow ish orange . I would suggest a stock for show and a huge for go and offset the hood at rear rally style.
Contact me if you need a purrfect reproduction AC Housing .

Last edited:

Forrest39

Gold forum user
CAT Member
This is what it looks like with a Performer RPM manifold, a 1/8" or so spacer/gasket, the repop air cleaner, and the K&N filter that SS sells under an LAT bonnet.
Cheers! -Kevin

10F75224-83DF-498F-954B-362B99FD4F9F_zpsgajiwz1d.jpg

Brigand

Silver forum user
That's very useful information, thanks.
Warren, what filter housing does the 2858 sit in? And Kevin, what carb is that?

Forrest39

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I should have mentioned that...
It's a Holley 600 CFM. Model 4160.
Also, stock motor mounts.
Cheers! -Kevin

Warren

Gold forum user
E-2859

K and N sold on ePay and at Sunbeam Specialties. Kevin is one of my happy customers. He has a bare steel AC Housing notice the rust from the finger moisture:rolleyes:

Please see our ad in the vendor forum, on ePay, or Sunbeam Specialties they are all from our one and only production run.

Forrest39

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Happy and repeat customer!
I measured the thickness of the K&N filter that I bought from Rick. They are 1-5/8" thick.
Cheers, -Kevin