Badass headers for race or stroker motors

hptiger

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
I just got a set of the new big 1 3/4 tube headers Dale is making for my race car. Individual slip fit into a merged collector they are amazing. Hopefully not to much massaging required

Attachments

• 20170222_131432.jpg
    20170222_131432.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 284
  • 20170222_131425.jpg
    20170222_131425.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 286

theo_s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
What kind of money were they?

You probably have an answer already, but I recall making a couple of sets of four cylinder long-tube headers back in the day, from cut-up V8 header sets. I would buy a set of SBC truck headers, then cut the tubes apart into J bends so that I ended up with a whole bunch of curve-straight transition pieces. Then it was a matter of measuring the length of each of these pieces, starting at the head flange, and working my way to the collector and to arrive there with four tubes that each had the right length. It would take about ten to 12 hours of work to get to a fully welded header.

Given the tube size of these Tiger headers and the overall lack of space to work in, I can't imagine it taking any less time per side, at least for the first time around. Subsequent iterations might save a couple of hours because the fabricator would already have a good plan of attack... but I think you'd have to be ready to pay for a lot of shop time to get headers like this.

FDubIrl

Bronze forum user
I just got a set of the new big 1 3/4 tube headers Dale is making for my race car. Individual slip fit into a merged collector they are amazing. Hopefully not to much massaging required

They look fantastic and very "beefy". How about the install? Was it a squeeze?

hptiger

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
You probably have an answer already, but I recall making a couple of sets of four cylinder long-tube headers back in the day, from cut-up V8 header sets. I would buy a set of SBC truck headers, then cut the tubes apart into J bends so that I ended up with a whole bunch of curve-straight transition pieces. Then it was a matter of measuring the length of each of these pieces, starting at the head flange, and working my way to the collector and to arrive there with four tubes that each had the right length. It would take about ten to 12 hours of work to get to a fully welded header.

Given the tube size of these Tiger headers and the overall lack of space to work in, I can't imagine it taking any less time per side, at least for the first time around. Subsequent iterations might save a couple of hours because the fabricator would already have a good plan of attack... but I think you'd have to be ready to pay for a lot of shop time to get headers like this.

Theo
You are correct these would take probably 18 to 20 hrs to build first time and I looked at doing these myself but have to many other projects right now. Dale's restorations built these for me as he has already done the work figuring out the first set. I have not put them in the car yet but am hoping there will only be some minor massaging to get them to fit

tigerracer

Silver forum user
Glad you like the headers. If the engine is sitting where it belongs, there should be no massaging required.
I have run this header on my street and race car for many years. I have installed these headers on 3 customer cars in the past year without picking up a hammer. I decided to start making them again because I'm building more 331 and 347 motors making 450+ hp. The street headers are fully welded and do not have the slip fit collector and separate tubes.

hptiger

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Dale
The headers fit with no need for any modifications. The only tube with a small issue was the lock tab for the collector on tube #5 it was hitting the frame rail. I removed it and everything fits great.

Attachments

• 20170306_202303.jpg
    20170306_202303.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 246
  • 20170306_202248.jpg
    20170306_202248.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 244
  • 20170306_202335.jpg
    20170306_202335.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 247