1999 SCCA GT2 Runoffs on Speedvision

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Drifting Error ??

A real shame but I'm struggling to see how it wasn't his fault. :confused:

Without knowing the "feel" of the car, the driving "balance" or suspension make up, we can't judge the error. But it looks like the rear kicked out (as usual) which is why I always broke them loose before hand into a 4-wheel slide.

teamtigergt2

Bronze forum user
Yes it is my fault

This happened July 13th 2015 at Gingerman raceway in South Haven MI. We had just made the pass for 1st place when the BMW dropped 2 wheels off course as we chased him down. There were 3 cars ahead that we were lapping. The AS Mustang we got on the straight but the next 2 cars a GT1 Camaro and a GT1 Vette were running together. We took the the Vette into turn one and was going to wait until short chute to pass the Camaro. I knew the driver in the Camaro very well and he pointed me by on the outside. Unfortunately his car washed up in the corner pushing us high and I got into the marbles and the Tiger swapped ends. Unfortunately the BMW was pushing the Vette and just hit us head on and back into the Vette as it passed on my right side. Good news is the car is fixed (many hours and many $s) and running good as we got the car out for a test at Mid Ohio in September and we ran a double race the beginning of October and won both races.

Tom

teamtigergt2

Bronze forum user
2016 marks Team Tiger's 37th season racing with SCCA. Our season will start either late February or mid March and will conclude with the SCCA Runoffs at Mid Ohio in September. 2017 the SCCA Runoffs will be at Indianapolis Motor Speedway on the Grand Prix circuit and then will come to the west coast in 2018.

I tried to convert this file and put on YouTube, it is OK quality audio a little rough but it was quite a day for Team Tiger with a 1st and 5th. This was a live broadcast on Speedvision October 1999. Hope you enjoy this as much as Barry and I did.

This video is in 2 parts

Part 1 also has a short interview with Barry by Tommy Kendall. Right click on link and copy into your browser window.
http://www.youtube.com/attribution_link?a=tMax7TsMzw8&u=/watch?v=EuPzkWeMDLg&feature=em-upload_owner

Part 2 has my greatest moment in racing, getting to see Janet's face as we come into view on that last lap! By the way Janet is camera shy so quite an accomplishment to get her on live TV. Check out all the Sunbeam people at the end. Even Doug gets in the shot.
http://www.youtube.com/attribution_link?a=NbYJLjNpTaA&u=/watch?v=M_DWTrbXMOA&feature=em-upload_owner

SCCA Runoffs returns to Mid Ohio in September 2016

venice532

Gold forum user
CAT Member
tom's tiger

I watched that video admiring the driving skill but with trepidation since I knew something awful was going to happen at the end.

Tom, post as many videos as you want, I could watch those all day.

dlyle

Gold forum user
CAT Member
looks like there were some appropriate words by Tom at the 2:09 mark....couldn't tell what there were but I think I have a pretty good idea.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
footage

Tom and I talked a couple months prior to the Dayton united about him giving a talk ( tech session ) about the car and the changes over the years. I remember he said he would be there and would have the car there also. he said the only thing that would keep him from having the car there would be if he crashed. this crash happened two weeks prior to the united so tom showed up but not the car.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Tom,

Thanks for posting the videos and also the explanation. It looked as though he was letting you through and then slid wide, I could see you allowing for it, the way the car turned around I thought your left rear might have touched the grass, but marbles would explain the violent switch of ends, the bmw looked unsighted behind the vette. Such s shame. Glad you and the car are ok.

All the best for the new season

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Tom - great videos and like some have said post as many as you like, I LOVE your car......

teamtigergt2

Bronze forum user
Thank you

I am pleased you enjoy the videos. The Tiger has adapted over the years as the class has evolved. In the beginning we were one of the fastest on the straights and one of the heavier cars. That has changed even with the increased power SCCA has given us these past 3 years. Now we are one of the lightest cars in the class but less power than the TA2, Cup cars, Vettes and Vipers which changes how we race. The Tiger is a blast to drive! After help from Hoosier race tires and Performance Alignment we have the Tiger handling so sweet!

I have been posting on TEAE's Motorsports Forum and you will find many more links to videos and race results. Most of my videos are unpublished but you can view them with the links. I have attached an example.

While waiting for the 2016 season to start I played around with some of the old videos and posted on YouTube. These are ASF converted files so not as crisp as the Go Pro videos but fun none the less.

This was the beginning of Team Tiger's 2006 season at Road Atlanta. It was a huge filed 37 entries of which 6 were Gt2 cars. We qualified 14th overall. Part 1 is the start and you can quickly see the aggressive nature of my competitors. We managed to capture second and was running down the 1st place Porsche but spun coming out of turn 5. Fell to the rear of the field but managed to stay on lead lap until race was red flagged.

The video marked part 2 is the restart after the red flag mid race. We are at the end of the lead lap with the 2 GT2 leaders in front of us within sight. Count the number of cars we pass on our way to winning the race.

Enjoy and Happy New Year!

Part 1 Copy and paste the link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0ImKKBPO4A

Part 2 the restart
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpEf08yhbLs

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
In the 2nd video at about 9 minutes that Porsche did not want you to pass, it was good to see him go off course. haha. What RPM's are you turning on the straightaways?

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Tom, those are some great videos! What gear ratios are you running in 3rd and 4th gears? There didn't appear to be much RPM drop when shifting from 3rd to 4th.

I have a really small #50 slot car- the graphics on it are microscopic- cool little car:

2coihr5.jpg

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
A - L O N G - time ago....

A fairly well known Tiger racer told me something like:

" Don't EVER pass on the outside" .... ;)

Yup, and my memory is getting weaker on SOME things....:(

teamtigergt2

Bronze forum user
Long time ago

I can tell you that was exactly what was going thru my mind as that Camaro started up the track!

We typically shift this motor at 7600RPM, it will go higher but rebuilds are more frequent and more expensive. We are down to 1 engine with the new engine spec that started in 2014, working on getting 2nd engine for back up so that we can push rpm when necessary. Just trying to make room in budget.

That is one cool slot car, love the graphics but you need to get the car into the track more - just kidding.

The transmission we run is a Jerrico with a 184 first gear, 151 second , 123 third and 1 to 1 4th. I also have second set of gears that makes 1st 170 and all the others closer.