Tri-Y header differences?

Forrest39

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Just curious if there is an easy way to tell the difference between the manifolds that should be on the left vs. right. I know that they were originally different colors, but now all four look the same. I have clearance issue on the left side to the point where the manifold is resting against the left engine hanger and the bolts to hold the manifold to the #5 exhaust port are either not installed or snapped off. Clearly something is awry. I'm wondering if I should try a bit of mix and match to find a configuration that doesn't result in clearance issues. Also, can any body suggest a source for manifold gaskets for the bottom of the tri-y header to the down-pipe?
Thanks! -Kevin

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The tri-y headers had interference issues on one side with the hanger so they supplied a modified one.. had hsc cast into it iirc as it was a Hollywood sports car part...

Have you got stock hangers on both sides?

Forrest39

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Yes. I have the HSC hanger on the right side. That side has adequate clearance. Thats why I was thinking I have a right to left manifold issue... The left side is the OEM hanger.
Cheers, -Kevin

mr55s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Tri Y's

Hi Kevin, I had the faces of mine machined slightly as they needed it. When looking at all of them side by side, they were slightly different flange thicknesses, I picked two that were about the same and used them on the drivers side (North American cars) but the passenger side, one had a different bottom flange that seemed shorter and was at a different angle, I put that one closest to the special engine mount. They are tight but I find they work really well. I am very happy with them. If I was to do it again, I would ask the machinist to take a small angle cut off of the flange that mates up with the head to pull the down tube away a little from the frame. A bit of test fitting back and forth but the "Y" down tube can be adjusted to fit with an accomplished exhaust guy. I hope this helps.
Brian