Hard time latching tops

ahetzel

Gold forum user
I redid my seal on my hard top that rests against the windshield frame with one from SS and no matter how much pressure I put downward, I cant get the latches to close. Everything looks right and I understand the the seal is likely thicker as it is newer but I am hoping for suggestions. I need to get in closed and don't want to break the latches.

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
When you say, "no matter how much pressure I put downward", are you referring solely to pressure on the latch? I know with my hardtop, I have to stand outside the car, use one hand to press down on the hardtop while the other hand reaches through the window opening and presses down on the latch. Kirk

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I agree with Kirk on procedure.. Often that us required for soft top too... However before you go forcing the top..

Align the top and make sure the latches are sitting in the receptors on the screen frame.. Are the tongue/tooth parts of the latches sitting in the openings of the receptors or are they rubbing the front/ rear of them?

A thicker seal might change their alignment. I would rest the top in place then loosen the screws holding the clamps to the hardtops header rail so they are adjustable.. Then position them so they align then snug enough to hold in place. Lift the top off and screw them in tight and then try and fit the top.. You may just have to adjust the latches to allow for the new seal.. You can progressively move the clamps bit by bit to perfect the fit.

Are the b post clams locking down correctly .. Are they tighter than before the seal was replaced?

steven

Gold forum user
You may need the small alloy spacers that were sometimes fitted behind the frame recepters. They are available.

ahetzel

Gold forum user
Gentlemen, Thanks for the help. First off I do apply pressure downward on both the hard top and soft top from outside while trying to latch and both tops are almost impossible to close. I am interested in the spacers, how they work and who sells them, Cat or Sunbeam Specialties. I have attached some pictures to hopefully show alignment.

Attachments

• Latch Position.jpg
    Latch Position.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 216
  • Alignment.jpg
    Alignment.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 200
  • Seal Outside.jpg
    Seal Outside.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 214

Salem7

Bronze forum user
I had the same issue. The wedges were MIA on my Tiger. Finally, someone on eBay offered them, I bought a set=problem solved.

ORDER DATE
Sep 25, 2016
ORDER TOTAL
US $38.00
+ US $2.60
shipping
Order Sunbeam Tiger, Alpine Hard & Soft Top Wedge Shims (pair for 1 clamp & hardware)View similar items
View seller's other items
More actions
1 item sold by ryal0064
Sunbeam Tiger, Alpine Hard & Soft Top Wedge Shims (pair for 1 clamp & hardware)
( 112146681212 )
Quantity: 2

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
They can be stiff for sure

Gentlemen, Thanks for the help. First off I do apply pressure downward on both the hard top and soft top from outside while trying to latch and both tops are almost impossible to close. I am interested in the spacers, how they work and who sells them, Cat or Sunbeam Specialties. I have attached some pictures to hopefully show alignment.

There was a batch of reproduction latches that DID NOT have the receptor pocket for the male portion of the windscreen latch to fit into. They were formed straight across. These would never latch until they broke. Your picture shows the pocket so I'm hoping you can locate the tapered shims.

Warren

Gold forum user
Vendor

That would be a long term member Al, He makes a lot of little bits with his son. His daughter takes care of the eBay sales. I asked him a long time ago to join forum in vendor section. Many of us know seller's eBay names and our former member Paul Scofield created a thread so that members could cut out paying eBay as the middleman. Vendors have several choices free White pages listing, Vendor forum, or eBay and their 12.9%. I didn't get him cause his daughter would never call me back . We talked on several occasions, he has 2 Tigers and is in Florida and in your CAT roster.

I had the same issue. The wedges were MIA on my Tiger. Finally, someone on eBay
1 item sold by ryal0064
( 112146681212 )
Quantity: 2

ahetzel

Gold forum user
I loosened the receptors attached to the windshield frame and the tabs have much better engagement so I can see what you mean. If I cant find the shims I will machine a set. Once I have the latches engaged with the screws loosened properly I will take measurements.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I loosened the receptors attached to the windshield frame and the tabs have much better engagement so I can see what you mean. If I cant find the shims I will machine a set. Once I have the latches engaged with the screws loosened properly I will take measurements.
Tou have the clamp shims ( wedges) ...i can see them behind the clamp in your closeup photo of the clamp. As i said its likely the thicker seal has lifted the clamping point so loosen the clamps and re position accordingly.

Maliburevue

Gold forum user
CAT Member
When I installed my new soft top with new front seal, I had to push down on the soft top front frame piece while I pulled the seal lip in front of the windshield frame. In the 3rd picture you posted, it appears that the seal lip is pinched between hardtop and the windshield frame. If so, this would inhibit the clamps from closing. I had to do this for some time until the seal naturally took the shape of the windshield frame.

Spike

ahetzel

Gold forum user
Well the plot thickens. I indeed do have the shims but the latch don't look like they are in the optimum place. I took the latches off and with the top in its natural position this is how they would need to line up (see picture). Question is can I remount by moving the slots over on the latch? The holes are threaded and fixed.

Attachments

• Latch miss alignment.jpg
    Latch miss alignment.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 118

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
WHAT ??

Well, have never seen that issue in all the decades we've been beating on these critters. You have something really wrong there and it's best to start measuring everything several times before making any cut-to-fit decisions. . .
Just sayin' :confused:

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
To second Randy... Huh????

Did you have the top fitted before replacing the seal? Difnyou just restore the top or do any screen frame adjustment / work.. A seal would make it sit higher pr proud...not offset

ahetzel

Gold forum user
The top went on before the new seal but not easily and probably not well, just doable because of the shot and compressed windshield to top seal. It was disintegrating. The new seal has likely magnified the problem. It is a really nice hard top in great condition.

I agree with you guys. I am going to start with taking the front seal off and looking at the alignment without it in place.Should be easier to see gaps. Then I am going to look at the pin and pin receivers in the back, the side latches and the front latches. I want to get this right. I will be able to work o it this Sunday and report back.

Warren

Gold forum user
Quoted

Someone asked me why I mentioned the eBay member in the quote from Salem 7

ryal0064 eBay user name is A Washick a CAT member in Florida. He sells several Tiger related items.

This was not intended as a thread hi jack merely a comment.
The miss alignment pictured needs a full screen shot with a tape measure or fabric style to measure the distances between both. I have 3 screen frames to compare the measurements too. One on car and two bare screens in storage. Interesting problem due to hand built nature of the cars?

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Looking at your picture it looks like the rubber is rolled under the front edge of the hardtop. I believe it should be over the windshield trim.