13 lb radaitor cap

Warren

Gold forum user
Yeah I know, a simple 5 dollar part if you go to big box auto parts store.

BUT they are plain Jane and even the nearly 20 dollar one by Motorcraft says MEXICO on it.

Now there's a summit one available with a small zinc that looks too long and will bottom out in the expansion tank, Anyone use one? I'm guessing that it is grounded to the cap and sure couldn't hurt having one when running an aluminum radiator.

I have a really cool chromed Motorcraft but it is a brass seal on top, and will give up pressure when it feels like it.

What's a good one ? I don't need a stock one but prefer the proper look and not a Hecho en Mexico one.

I was given a dealy bob one Mr.Gasket with the temp dial inside. It's brass sensor would not touch the coolant level so I added a heavy copper wire with a touch of fixing solder, now I know why it free as it didn't work both ways.

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Warren, just got back from driving my Tiger, so I can't take off the cap to see where it's made, but I've had this cap on my car for upteen years- never leaks, has a little pop-off valve (which also never leaks) which is handy if you have to do roadside cooling repairs and need to have a controlled release of pressure. I'm running a 16lb cap because my heater core is in retirement. Surely they make it in a 13lb cap...

s4nvoi.jpg

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Car cooled off so I took off the cap- nothing on the underside about country of origin, either. Must have had it on the box, long gone by now...

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Do you feel lucky, Warren...do you?

I went to the Stant website and they say 85% of their radiator caps are made in the U.S.A.

Warren

Gold forum user
Lever cap

I don't care for the lever caps and I have seen that they do come in 13 lb.
I run a stock heater core. As I understand the system is designed for that particular pressure and I have seen several heater cores where the sides have expanded. Sure the heater core also had significant cast iron stuck in it's rows.

I am mostly concerned with looks and a non lever cap. I kept a lever one in my spares kit but it's gone South. Not to Mexico ;) but the boot lid will pop open sometimes on a stiff bump then leadfoot didn't hear it as it spilled in the roadway and nobody said hey hot rod your spilling your stuff:eek:

Warren

Gold forum user
Why 13 lbs ?

I run a stock heater core and the rating of the stock system calls for a 13lb cap. If I was not running a stock core I would go higher. I have several heater cores with bulged side caps. I would attribute this to the huge hunks of cast iron clogging the tubes and quite possibly P.O. installing higher pressure . I've taken them apart but I have not fallen victim to a blown heater core. I have run the 64 Falcon conv. for many years with a 16 and even a 22 lb cap. I took off the puny 4 blade Tiger like fan in 198_ something. The Motorcraft cap says made in Mexico has no red lever, my leaky chrome Motorcraft cap came with a pile of parts but now leaks.

Last edited:

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Dont forget the stock heater core comes from rhe alpine and they ran 7 and 9lbs ... The tigers stock 13 probably still puts a bit of a bulge in the cores. A good precaution tonatop them swelling beyond getting them out is some felt and cable ties around their waist.

DD (CA)

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Drake USA

12, 13, 13, 14 across that top row. I'm not even sure which I'm running.

Interesting, they also show the 67-71 being correct pressure

Bbbbut...

And W.. please edit your message typo in subject for easy searching later. šŸ˜

Attachments

• IMG_0956.jpg
    IMG_0956.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 126

Warren

Gold forum user
I'll get right on it

12, 13, 13, 14 across that top row. I'm not even sure which I'm running.

Ah the Mustang supplier Scott Drake. I'd seen some other parts in the past along with Dearborn Classics. Since I can clean the sofa and pay for a cap I'll try em again. Wasn't really impressed on some of the other things they sold me.

And W.. please edit your message typo in subject for easy searching later. ��

Oh I'll add some tags... I'm such a slacker ��

Warren

Gold forum user
Scott Drake at Summit

Scott Drake Radiator Caps C7ZZ-8100-AC

SDK-C7ZZ-8100-AC_ml.jpg

• Click to Enlarge Image

$17.06

button-add-compare.gif

• Fast Shipping
  • Low Price Guarantee

• Tech Advice
  • Easy Returns

Write the First Review

Radiator Cap, Round, Zinc, Chrome Plated, Autolite Logo, Concours

mr55s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
13lb cap

Look for a 1960ā€™s Austin mini 13lb cap, brass rivet in the centre, identical to what was new and fits.