Getting Started

stscca

New forum user
Hello, to the Tiger community! It’s great that there is such a dedicated group to support these fantastic cars.

I’m looking to become a full fledged member and purchase one.

I will keep looking here of course so please post links to ads or PM me if something good comes up.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Tiger's Tiger

Hello, to the Tiger community! It’s great that there is such a dedicated group to support these fantastic cars.

I’m looking to become a full fledged member and purchase one.

I will keep looking here of course so please post links to ads or PM me if something good comes up.

Steve

It would be helpful to all if you narrowed what you're looking for. A project car needing lots-O-help can be had for less than a running clean piece. Then things can go up thru custom and rare unmolested units, etc.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Steve,

As mentioned it would be good to know what kind of car you are looking for: price, condition, modified/original?

Your name suggests you might want to do some club racing/auto X?

There is a CAT member with a well setup race tiger for sale at the moment.. way below the build cost. If would be ideal for historic racing.. or with a bit of work would be a very mean street Tiger.. if not a bit of a handful.

stscca

New forum user
Tiger Hunt

Hey thank for the responses:

I'm actually looking for something very clean unmodified or with mods. I've see most of the cars posted on the net. I’ve been watching for the last few months.

I don’t want a project car. Had several and don’t have time for one just now in my life. What I’m looking for is a very clean, MEAN Tiger driver, sorted out with a hard top. $$$ i what I'm looking for looks to go for between 40-50 K.

I defiantly plan on some rally racing, historical racing and club events.

I do have a couple of question that someone may be able to answer time willing.

How much does a motor swap 260 to 289 or 302 make in the cars value?

I've got a 1972 911 S that I’ve rallied auto x’ed and I defiantly want at least 200 hp, 260 didn't really get it there and was wonder on what how much that effected the collectable value? I've seen several cars with engine swaps.

Also, I can look up the tag Chassis Number and engine number but what am I looking for if I'm looking at a sunbeam Alpine sold as a Tiger. Numbers matching? Is the engine stamped? If so where?

Steve

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
I would say if the car is 100% stock then engine would make a difference, but if you are going to modify it then 260/289/302 would probably not change the value. I think only the "K" code 289's were vin stamped, the rest are date coded, so if restoring you would look for a certain time frame for the codes. Good luck in your search and let us know if you get a car.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Your budget should buy a decent car, you just need to choose what you want carefully.. and any car will always need some sorting, be it from use or just to your preference.

Engine swaps are comon.. 289 and 302's are proflific in the cars and dont seem to effect value much. Tigers are like DeTomaso's.. good original/stock cars are valued but well modified cars that are better performing in power/handling are just as well respected.

As for not buying a converted alpine TAC cars have passed an inspection to certify an original Tiger body, so those cars are a good start.

Hardtop.. buy the best car you can.. you can always hunt a top later.

engine numbers were not stamped, they were a sticker on the vlave covers.. often long gone or swaped.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
It always bugs me when the side trim is not straight--the right front fender trim on this car heads downhill right after the door.:(

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Maybe they will upload more pics later, they talk about the engine bay and the interior with some detail... but a picture is worth 1000 words.. none of engine or interior yet.

If it is a tom hall car.. and the user ID would suggest so.. can assume it will be a nice well sorted car.

$(KGrHqV,!lcE+4MnPgSbBP-7I3zOhw~~60_3.JPG

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I'd like to see more pics, also...even still, it appears to be a pretty good fit based on the criteria put forth by Steve. If I was buying my first Tiger, I could only hope to do as well as buying a car that Tom Hall had gone through.

Warren

Gold forum user
Under curtain or car cover

Like Monty Hall on let's make a deal one can't help but wonder what is under the car cover to the right in the listing. At least 5 Tigers on Craigslist in the past 6 weeks some returning listings. I would bet this auction is merely a lure for action off Epay. Truly a fun hobby car I almost went out for a drive in the very light rain, Yes in California! in La County in has rained 2 times in the month of July in the last 35 years. The other time was when my roof was off for a home remodel. Fun slick roads

stscca

New forum user
Tiger hunt

I talked to the owner and my impression is that he’s hoping for a bigger sell price. But to date no bids. For 45 K plus it doesn’t look much loved either. Always a concern when buying a used vehicle.

I’ve found a few other cars and had a question about the hard tops. What is the difference on the sub rounded and sub angular shapes. One an aftermarket?

Moondoggie

Gold forum user
Here is a picture of the correct hardtop for a tiger looks very much
like a SL230/280 hardtop. Anything else would be either after market or
Alpine, alpine's are kind of rounded in the rear. These tops tend to rust out
around the rear window area and can become very expensive to save so
I would be careful buying an rusty one. A good top like this one in show
car condition can easily cost upwards of $6000 to restore and I wouldn't take
twice that for my top that you see here. One other detail, tops were the color
of the car only if they were ordered from the factory with a top otherwise they
came in Black thru the parts department. I'm sure some got painted over the black...

Moondoggie

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Early SI/Ii alpines had a bubble style aluminium hardtop, these have a wraparound rear window. They will not fir a later alpine/tiger.

The S3 alpine introduced the new squarer styled steel top with hinged 1/4 windows. These fit all alpines S3-V and Tigers. There were detail changes, they moved to larger 1/4 window buttons on the hinges to try and stop the crazing of the perspex windows and on the SV/MKIA/Ii tops that have little brackets to clip the vynil soft top bad straps to.

As for aftermarkey tops, hey are all fibregalss. There are honeybourne from the Uk which do a factory styled one, smoothline that you can get in the states which make the parish style top thats similar wrap around rear window to the early alpine. There are dynaplastic and astro tops also from period.. all o fthese have cruder fixings and finsh than the factory tops.

As mentioned the factory tops if rusted can cost a bit to ut right.. but I am sure a decent one can be purchased for between 3-5K.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I talked to the owner and my impression is that he’s hoping for a bigger sell price. But to date no bids. For 45 K plus it doesn’t look much loved either. Always a concern when buying a used vehicle.

I’ve found a few other cars and had a question about the hard tops. What is the difference on the sub rounded and sub angular shapes. One an aftermarket?

You say doesnt look much loved.. that car is a decent mainatined survivor.. as said in the auction text its a driver not a show car. The car looks presentable, straight and rust free and if tom has owned it probably is mechanicaly very well sorted and would drive well. It's not a show car... you will not get a show Tiger for that money... might be a very good place to start though.