Wheel clearance?

PITT40

Gold forum user
Where does a wheel need to be to avoid major rubbing issues on the front of a Tiger? I see some cars with wheels hanging out on the front.

Granted, not pushing the issue on tire width helps too. Let's say the tire selection is conservative in width and height. What can you get away with?

I ask because one set of wheels that I am contemplating is right at the fender lip when I use a straight edge up to the fender.

Forrest39

Gold forum user
CAT Member
it seems that there are a numer of variables in play here.
What size tire are you planning?
What are the dimensions and offset of the wheel you want?
Is your suspension lowered; if so how much.
Has the lower fender skirt on the front of the wheel well been trimmed - seems that many have.

I can tell you that you are absolutely correct in getting this right. My car has 205/50-15 and I think a 4" off set.. My car was slightly lowered and while perfect for autocrosss, a seemingly harmless bump on a windy road near where I live caused the right wheel to crash with the wheel arch revealing a poorly repairded area of previous damage. Now I have a cracked lip to deal with.
i can post some pix when I get home next week.

There are a number of posts about this. I think cobrakidz posted about the 15" options that he used successfully.

Cheers! -Kevin

PITT40

Gold forum user
I have 205/50/15 on 7" wheels with 4-1/8" backspace. But with my custom front brakes, I have a narrower track than a stock Tiger. Like I said, my wheel lips line up with the fender edge. I googled a bunch of pics and many cars have front wheels sticking out further, at least it looks that way. So that's why I was looking for experienced opinions.

mwood

Gold forum user
Do you have enough meat on the hub pads to cut them down and give more backspace? That's what I'm doing on the 22mm offset, 6" wheels on the front of my car. With the 205's, I'm too close to the lip for comfort, given the amount of lowering with the Hillman spindles.

PITT40

Gold forum user
I was looking at that. On a cast aluminum wheel, how thin is too thin for tapered seat lugs?

mwood

Gold forum user
I was looking at that. On a cast aluminum wheel, how thin is too thin for tapered seat lugs?

Not a question I'm able to answer...no idea. My hubs have a pronounced barrel, so I'm feeling comfortable taking off 3mm, which is all I need.

Too Tech

Bronze forum user
13" wheel clearance

The maximum inward wheel location is the key to not having the tires stick out too far and hit the upper fender lip. This 'offset' or 'back spacing' value varies depending on the wheel diameter. I prefer to talk back spacing since we must put the wheel as far inboard as possible. If you talk wheel offset, you must know the wheel width to determine the back space.

I'm familiar with 13" wheels and stock front ends. The maximum allowable back space from the mounting surface to the inboard edge of the wheel is 100mm. This will provide about 4 mm clearance between the wheel rim and the tie rod. From there you can choose you wheel width. I think most folks use a 5 1/2" wheel and 195ish tire to assure a good fit and a look that minimizes tire protrusion beyond the fender lip.

I have not studied 14 and 15" wheel diameter back spacing. I think a larger back spacing might be possible because the tie rod end would fit inside the wheel, but I imagine the tire might hit the sway bar in tight turns - but at least your fender lips would be safe. Hopefully someone else can comment on back spacing for 14 and 15" wheels.

Rick

TAH_Tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Backspace

Where does a wheel need to be to avoid major rubbing issues on the front of a Tiger? I see some cars with wheels hanging out on the front.

Granted, not pushing the issue on tire width helps too. Let's say the tire selection is conservative in width and height. What can you get away with?

I ask because one set of wheels that I am contemplating is right at the fender lip when I use a straight edge up to the fender.

I recently had to swap out my front wheels because the PO installed 15x7 wheels all around with 15 offset, which works out to 4.59 backspace. So he had installed 1/8" spacers up front so he only hit the tie rod ends on full lock.
By reducing the front wheel size to 15x6 and the same offset, the backspace increases to 4.09 which works great on my Tiger without spacers. I did go down one tire size from the 195/55x15 to 185/55x15

JB66CAT

Gold forum user
Wheels n Tires mounted

Finally got my wheels (fronts were on back order) Anyway here they are mounted. (see pics 1 front 1 rear)
These are Panasports from Dale. 15X7 rear 15X6 Front with Dunlop Direzza 195/50 front and 205/50 rear.
NO clearance problems. Don't even have to roll the fender lips.
Looking at them I probably could have gone to a 55 series.
Thought this might help anyone considering this set up.
Cheers.

Hoghead

Gold forum user
Finally got my wheels (fronts were on back order) Anyway here they are mounted. (see pics 1 front 1 rear)
These are Panasports from Dale. 15X7 rear 15X6 Front with Dunlop Direzza 195/50 front and 205/50 rear.
NO clearance problems. Don't even have to roll the fender lips.
Looking at them I probably could have gone to a 55 series.
Thought this might help anyone considering this set up.
Cheers.

What is the offset on the fronts?
I am pondering if I can fit 205/50/15's on the front using a 6" rim x 25mm backspace. Rims are already rolled and I would like to keep the tire inside the fender

JB66CAT

Gold forum user
What is the offset on the fronts?
I am pondering if I can fit 205/50/15's on the front using a 6" rim x 25mm backspace. Rims are already rolled and I would like to keep the tire inside the fender

25mm I believe. 205s might be a little chunky up front with that offset. JMO

whiskytangofoxtrot

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
My car has flares so I can only help with the inner measurements I just mounted 15x7 nitros with a 4 inch offset. on all 4 with 225 50r by 15 and once I fixed the alinement problems I did not rub anywhere