California Black Plates

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
"They're made from the same molds the original were -- molds the DMV discovered at Folsom Prison, where the classic plates used to be made.

The new ones, Gatto's office said, are still being made in Folsom Prison, where a team of 110 inmates produces a total of 8.5 million license plates a year.

The new plates will still be distinguishable from the old in one way, though: The new ones will feature reflective yellow paint on the letters and numbers, as is now required by law."

Warren,I thought I had heard in the beginning that they were going to be flat, but this article does not say that, just that they are using reflective paint.

slypops

Gold forum user
What a moneymaker!

Wow, 7,500 prepaid orders before even starting production. Sure will help Cali and it's finances!! Retro is now cool!

Warren

Gold forum user
School Bus Yellow

Be interesting to see one in real life. All the old cars with real black plates are in stealth mode and will be able to hide their identity and lie in wait like a Tiger. Back when it was started the discussion was a yearly fee equal to a Vanity plate fee would be charged for the pleasure of helping California not add an 8th digit to their lic. plates. They send out all plates packaged with "Contents made by Prison Industry Authority" not that's a useful skill to rehab em with.

Imagine their Resume grand theft auto 10 years plate stamping:cool:

thirdflat

Bronze forum user
I got mine from the DMV today :) They look great with the exception of a few light scratches from shipping via envelope with one stacked atop the other.

Doug C

Gold forum user
The ones I've seen seem to have a "different Print" than the original. But it could be my eyes.

Moondoggie

Gold forum user
The ones I've seen seem to have a "different Print" than the original. But it could be my eyes.[/QUOTE

It's not your eyes Doug !!

The new plates are photo printed on a flat piece of aluminum while the originals were die stamped with raised letters. They are not even close to being correct. Like so many things our elected officials do it's a nice try
but very lacking in implementation. The old way was expensive and a big hassle but well worth the effort in the end.

Moondoggie

Warren

Gold forum user
Rather pay 10 for YOM

Step 1: Select Plate Type
Plate Type:1960 LEGACYInitial Cost:$50.00Annual Renewal Fee:$40.00
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/.../initPer...California Department of Motor Vehicles

Nice try is way too kind, I'd say weak effort saw one on a black BMW X5 SUV or like so many better named in the funny commercial in the original Robocop , SUX 9000

dlyle

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I saw a set of these on a Tiger this weekend and they looked pretty good. They look very much like an original black plate.....and they are embossed and not flat letters.

The yellow color is a tad off and they are reflective so they have a little texture to them. I thought they looked pretty darn good.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
I have seen a couple too and they were raised..didn't look too bad but definitely a "brighter" color.

thirdflat

Bronze forum user
I'm not sure what Moondoggie has seen or heard but mine have raised letters and are definitely painted...They almost look like originals. The guys at Folsom Prison did a pretty decent job. I believe the color is a tad different due to current state law.... plates must be produced (finished? layered?) with a "reflective" coat for night-driving safety.

What gripes me is that now I'm seeing them on all sorts of late model cars over the last couple of days. I thought you had to have the correct period-specific car to order them but I guess not. Seeing black plates on a 2013 Kia looked kind of funny.

thirdflat

Bronze forum user
TigerPlate15.jpg

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I believe the color is a tad different due to current state law.... plates must be produced (finished? layered?) with a "reflective" coat for night-driving safety.

I think you'll find its actually to allow spoed/traffic cameras to get a nice clean shot of the plate as the numbers light up with the flash :cool:

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Whatever Sells

What gripes me is that now I'm seeing them on all sorts of late model cars over the last couple of days. I thought you had to have the correct period-specific car to order them but I guess not. Seeing black plates on a 2013 Kia looked kind of funny.

It would appear the target market for these plates would be cars in the period when the black-with-yellow plates were originally issued, but the State is happy to take money from anyone. And with the popularity of black cars, I will bet that a lot of owners of them from all years think their cars look better with matching black plates.

Moondoggie

Gold forum user
It looks like the number sequence is completely different from what was handed out in 1965. Two years ago I went thru the YOM procedure and you were required to submit good condition original plates that matched the number sequence for the year your car was registered that were not currently valid on a registered car. I paid $450 for a set of plates that were known to be
out of registration and then had to find a 1965 renewal sticker that was also the same. I paid $175 for the sticker. Submitted the plates to the DMV and waited. In the meantime I ordered a set of reproduction plates from a company
that supplied plates to the movie industry that I planned to use on my car for everyday. I was informed shortly after I placed the order that I was lucky to be on the very last order the company could deliver because the CA Attorney General had put them out of business producing replica plates in the state. No big deal so I waited and my original plates were accepted with the 65 renewal sticker attached. When the replica plates arrived they looked fantastic except they made them JNP295 instead of JMP295...crap. I sent the front original to a guy in Kentucky who restored the front plat to new condition for $250. So I have $850 invested in my YOM plates and it tickles me to know the States
new system isn't even close and a joke....I have a brand new set of reproduction plates that probably are good for YOM for anyone interested....

Moondoggie

Warren

Gold forum user
4 cars 2 motorcycles

So YOM plates even the most expensive on eBay are around 300 .
The stickers original and reclaimed go from 20 to 50 .

I have used the 15 dollar ones twice. Yes some say they track the number on the sticker but I can think of 7 to 10 guys that have used the 15 buck year specific stickers.

What you get for your 50 and 40 per year is less time at DMV and a reflectorized replica.

The satin black is easy to match the yellow is a school bus color only available in a can but its dead on.
I met a plate painter 125 for a really nice job, but I can't have my plates nicer then the car ;)

Moondoggie

Gold forum user
What you get for your 50 and 40 per year is less time at DMV and a reflectorized replica.

;)

I'm sorry Warren but you are so wrong. What you get is a replica plate that doesn't even match the numbering system in place at the Time of Manufacture and the materials also don't match. It's a replica or plainly said an "Alger plate". IT's like buying NOS parts over reproduction parts, the NOS stuff is real and the other stuff is just close if you don't want the best. Close in my book is just not good enough...

Moondoggie

Warren

Gold forum user
It's ok

Legislation introduced the California Legacy License Plate program offering vehicle owners the opportunity to purchase replicas of California license plates similar to those issued in the 1950s, 1960s, and 1970s. Only the 1960s plate reached the required 7,500 orders before January 1, 2015.
Legacy License plates can now be ordered for any year model automobile, commercial vehicle, motorcycle, or trailer. The Legacy License Plate Program will not replace the current Year of Manufacture (YOM) license plate program.
As of June 17, 2015, the DMV is accepting orders for the 1960s Legacy plate. The 1960s Legacy plate may be ordered online at Personalized Plates Internet Reservation & Ordering. You may also order by mail, or at a field office or auto club. The completed form and $50 payment must be mailed to the address provided on the form. Payment can only be made by check, money order, or cashier's check made payable to Department of Motor Vehicles.
California Legacy Plate Program Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Special Interest License Plate Application (REG 17) (PDF)
PAYMENT: Check, Money Order, or Cashier's Check ONLY.
Payable to: DEPARTMENT OF MOTOR VEHICLES.
Mail the application WITH a $50 PAYMENT to:
Department of Motor Vehicles
Special Processing Unit, MS D238
PO Box 932345
Sacramento, CA 94232–3450
REFUNDS: Refunds for the 1950s and 1970s plate orders were processed in January and February 2015.
NO REFUND will be issued after your order has been placed.

You can request any plate that no one else is using in much the same way as a plate I did YOM, SLC 621 .

If I was to go get a Legacy plate I'd ask for TGR 965 and if no one else is using the number maybe I'd get it, but I'm too cheap to pay and additional 50 bucks and a additional 40 on top of the standard registration. F

If you look on the REG 17 you can axe three different number combinations.

However...they contradict themselves on the other part of the on line application. Your results may vary

Dog, we can agree that a Legacy plate is at best a replica :cool:
Below online order for both no refunds either, how's that for customer service, why don't they say like it or lump it.

I like my set it came on my second convertible, and had been sitting in the garage since 1979. Guys can argue till the cows come home about numerical sequence but not me. I know they handed em out faster in Sacramento then Santa Ana

Please select a plate type:

Sequential Plate

Personalized Plate

Choose a special background and receive a random license plate number. Choose a special background and create a custom license plate number.

If ordering a sequential plate, please have available the registration card for the vehicle receiving the plate.
Sequential plates will be mailed to the most current address reported to DMV for the vehicle receiving the plate.
If ordering a personalized plate as a gift, please be prepared to provide recipient's name, address, phone number, and DMV field office for plate pick-up.
Only original requests will be accepted online. For renewal, retention, replacement, conversion or transfer of a Special Interest License Plate, you must complete a Special Interest License Plates Application (REG 17) form and either mail it or submit it to your local DMV field office.
Once your order has been placed, there will be no refunds issued for your online plate order.
Payment Options:

echeck_logo_big.gif.png

• To use the e-check payment option, you must be a must be a Certified User.
  • You will need one of your checks (not a deposit slip) to obtain the bank routing number and account number.
  • When entering your account number, do not include the check number.
  • E-check customers cannot purchase more than one item per transaction.