Alger or ?

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Umm..What Countries Allow That

One point I wanted to drive home was the tag and title in some countries makes a Tiger out of a reshelled car and a nice collection of parts. QUOTE]

Warren,
I'm not sure of what countries you are speaking. In the UK, taking a VIN number off one body and putting on another body is allowed ONLY when the second body is new manufacture as a replacement body. Putting a Tiger VIN on an Alpine is not eligible for this exemption. The translation I read of the German motor vehicle regulations seem to say one can transfer the frame number from one frame to another, but did not say the same about the body.

The truth is that in most countries, if a person takes the VIN plate off one car and puts it on another and they have title for the first car, it would be very hard for the officials to be able to catch it. Which is why it is important to make sure a car has passed TAC before you buy it (or you pay as if it is an Alger).

Warren

Gold forum user
Germany

Yes I was referring to the Germans as I have met a couple guys who have done and condone the practice with the attitude what happens in Germany stays in Germany or is that Las Vegas;)
That's hilarious "I asked a lawyer,"
I'll just put up the punchline, Their lips are moving."
As I said before and a couple who are Alpine guys confuse the spec plate that has a VIN number on the earlier alpines with the spec plate on a tiger which has no numbers on it. The other numbered items on the car are only persuasive evidence to prove up a car. Had Rootes put on a chassis ID there'd be less problems.

Attachments

• IMG_0069.jpg
    IMG_0069.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 108

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The usual stuff

So what you're saying is that you don't have enough knowledge to answer the question. I once asked an attorney a question and he said if everything on the title matches everything on the car and the state allows it to be registered based on the title and all info shows it not to be stolen, not to have a salvage title, etc then you have what the title reads.

No surprises on the way you approach this...

I have my opinion on how much you can replace before its just a recreation.. However that's my opinion and its an area where there can be debate.... But the issue we are discussing here is knowingly swapping the ID from one car to another and claiming it to be the original.

So I'm sticking to the FACTS in regards to the alger question.. Which is if you swap the ID from one car to another you are commiting identity fraud.

By your apparent conversation if I steal your passport change the photo and have your social security number I become Bob Webb, all the documents match... No problem.. I guess identity fraud is all good for you guys as long as its done thoroughly.

Interesting how fraud is ok in 1 state in your country and others not. From what I have read most states in the US do not allow VIN swapping... I believe in general its considered a criminal act.

Last edited:

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
What was the Question

I once asked an attorney a question and he said if everything on the title matches everything on the car and the state allows it to be registered based on the title and all info shows it not to be stolen, not to have a salvage title, etc then you have what the title reads.

I wonder what was the question that was asked. If a person asked the attorney "If a person has title to Car A and transferred the VIN plate from Car A to a different Car B, which happens to be a DIFFERENT MODEL, and then sells Car B as the same model as Car A with the title for Car A, is that fraud?"

I'm no attorney, but I don't think the attorney would say it was not fraud - in all 50 states. I think the key for the question would certainly be relating to two different models, one of which is more valuable than the other.

steven

Gold forum user
I think it is time to close this thread and I hope the Lady gets what she wants for the car.