whats missing in these pictures???

Forrest39

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Hello all,
I am to the task of detailing the engine compartment and repairing the mangled lower valance panel. Included below are some pictures of the radiator support panel and what’s left of the lower valance panels. My plan is to try to straighten and restore the valance panels, but I’m not exactly sure what parts are missing where the upper part of the valance panel connects to the radiator bulkhead or whatever it’s called. I know that on the alpine there is an oil cooler mount in this area, but what did the Tiger look like? Does anybody have a Tiger that has the front still disassembled that can show me some pictures of what is should look like? Please let me know!
Thanks! - Kevin

B8031765-A785-4B07-B2DE-76C1E32C4A1D_zpskbkrrayb.jpg

07A3ECBA-391C-4723-8AB2-7C1A89287EAF_zpso68thqnu.jpg

6A490AE9-9622-4987-B50F-FC95D04C752A_zps0o8uxjks.jpg

CB005285-A867-420B-AD15-E228AA8B04F1_zpslnwvy7bg.jpg

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Mangled Quite Well

It sure shows some signs of braille parking maneuvers. It also has the lower section of the rad support cut and folded to expose more of the lower radiator to airflow. This must have been an early & common practice as most of the restorations we engage have this modification. Send me an E-mail and I'll fire off a couple of pictures for Ya . . . . .

CLIFF_MK1

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Maybe these will help. Cliff

Attachments

• F1.jpg
    F1.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 143
  • F2.jpg
    F2.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 126
  • F3.jpg
    F3.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 119
  • F4.jpg
    F4.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 121

Forrest39

Gold forum user
CAT Member
PM sent Randy.
Thans for the pictures Cliff!
I guess I should have mentioned that this is for 9471488. december 1964 production date.
Thanks! -Kevin

Forrest39

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I took another look at the rad support to see what Randy was saying about cut and fold. After looking at the pictures that Brian sent me, it was very clear.
I'm very curious what is missing at the corners at the upper valance. I'll add another picture below.
Cheers! -Kevin

E91F932B-CD44-472B-BA1E-F2C68F6A567D_zpstprdchmg.jpg

HRO260

Bronze forum user
Poached

Kevin - these might offer some pointers. Excuse the small support brackets - they are a personal addon to provide some rigidity to stone tray

Rgds, Tom

Valance%20Top%20LHS%20Thru%20Rad%20Support%2001.JPG

Valance%20Top%20LHS%20Thru%20Rad%20Support.JPG

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Try Some More

Thank you Tom. I think those brackets are an excellent choice!
-Kevin

Here's a few from one in the shoppe . . . .

Attachments

• Inner Valence LH.jpg
    Inner Valence LH.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 100
  • Inner Valence 1.jpg
    Inner Valence 1.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 94
  • Inner Valence 2.jpg
    Inner Valence 2.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 89

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
@tom .... Nice to see you on the forum. How is the restoration coming along? Has Andy finished all the bodywork or are you still going through the body?

HRO260

Bronze forum user
A fool and his money...

Hi Michael - thanks for touching base.

Resto on the HRO Tiger been on hold for past year whilst I kick/flog/whip myself after acquiring a second Tiger - it's unaffectionately known as the Pig (substitute lemon, dog, p.o.s. etc etc). What a disaster that has spun out to be...even left me questioning TAC validity, but that's not for this thread and regardless, an error of judgement of my own making.

Just finished making a rolling caddy for the HRO Tiger so it's about to come off the chicken twirler and I'm going to start prepping for paint. The caddy's adjustable so I can also use it for other awkward Tiger items such as the front end. Andy did some nice work with the metal and I've been finishing off (lead work mostly).

At least salvation can be found in motorbikes (my preferred set of wheels...)

And Kevin...plenty of reference shots available from my car as it's of same era and well accessible if you so require. I'd suggest it will be in its naked form for a while to come yet.

Forrest39

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Looking at all of the images that have been posted, it seems that there are two possibilities for the radiator support. I am looking for what the cut and fold variation looks like. I like how Tom’s car looks and it would be very practical to make mine look that way, but I want to make sure that it still fits in with the correct look for my cars vintage.

Thanks again for all of the uploaded images!
-Kevin

HRO260

Bronze forum user
Another angle

Hi Kevin
Inserted myself into engine bay for a couple of other shots. The lower section of the rad support was hacked away when car acquired, so this is an approximation of what we believe to be "close". Not much to work with as far as reference material was concerned I'm afraid. HTH.
Rgds, Tom

Attachments

• IMG_3529.JPG
    IMG_3529.JPG
    143.2 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_3539.JPG
    IMG_3539.JPG
    174.4 KB · Views: 110

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Another Wrinkle

Hi Kevin
Inserted myself into engine bay for a couple of other shots. The lower section of the rad support was hacked away when car acquired, so this is an approximation of what we believe to be "close". Not much to work with as far as reference material was concerned I'm afraid. HTH.
Rgds, Tom

One of the things we often do is to replace the lower cross support you've shown with a 1/2" pipe to promote better airflow without back-draft effect. The welded ends of the pipe need to be flattened flush with a straight line so that the pipe can sit forward and not obstruct radiator installation. It works fine.

Forrest39

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thanks for going to the effort to take more pictures Tom. You can cross 'Tiger yoga' off your bucket list now!:D
Cheers, -Kevin

Hi Kevin
Rgds, Tom

norm1

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Mine is cut away also. Dd you make a sketch of the piece you welded in?

Hi Kevin
Rgds, Tom