hardtop rear and side glass orders

leepear

Gold forum user
Last year I coordinated the purchase of real glass rear and sides for our hardtops. I ordered a set and since I needed to pick it up took orders for others. Bob, Warren and others were a part of the purchase. Lee the glass guy is a nice guy and fellow Tiger owner. I am going to coordinate another run of rear glass. Glass will be clear only and laminated. Last run was 320 per three piece set so this run will be a similar price maybe 340 but I have not talked price with Lee.

Send me a pm if you want a set. This is a good deed and I will make no money. It will give me the opportunity to have a visit and lunch with my son in Hollywood

Last edited:

DD (CA)

Gold forum user
CAT Member
weight v plastic?

I'll either be in this purchase or be regretting it I'm sure.

Curious about the weight. Not for driving, but for removal, etc. Also, the top really seems to flex quite a bit. Any concern with the more rigid glass panels?

Thanks for the post / offer

Derek

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
glass

weight is a concern when using glass plus the extra weight wears the paint under the corner pads quicker.

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
Maybe? Maybe not.

weight is a concern when using glass plus the extra weight wears the paint under the corner pads quicker.

I agree that weight is a concern. An inquiring mind would ask how much difference. Has someone weighed their top? With glass and plastic plexiG? Easier did Lee weigh the new glass components vs. the stock windows?

Wear under the pads increase with weight? lots of factors involved there. How the Tiger is driven might be more important than the weight of the top.

Rick

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
FWIW, the early tops which are much lighter still do a fair job of damaging the paint, the vibration of the body and pressure of the rubber will always leave their mark.

More weight will obviously make it a little worse, but if you are not throwing the car around to much it shouldn't be to bad.

Last edited:

Erich

Gold forum user
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the force from the clamps is far higher than the weight of the top. If you see the rubber pads compress further when the clamps are tightened, that is the proof.

That said, an empty top is heavy enough to move around the shop, not sure I want to add glass to the mix.

XTIGERX

Gold forum user
This is info I found for glass vs. acrylic or polycarbonate. The plastics appear to be lighter and stronger but left uncoated are terrible in regards to haze.
The following was gleaned from http://www.polyshields.com/main.html (NA)

Acrylic or polycarbonate is approximately half the weight of 1/4" laminated glass.

Where a "dart drop" test was performed on 1/4" thick material with a 5 pound steel dart with a 1" tip
acrylic withstood 7 ft lbs before failure
tempered glass 3.5 ft lbs
laminated glass 2 ft lbs

Abrasion Resistance (Test: ASTMD 1044 Z26.1 - Taber Abrator - 100 Revolutions - 500 gr. Load)
Glass 0.5 % Haze
Uncoated Polycarbonate 30.0% Haze

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
glass

when he makes the rear window does he make it with the contour of the original or is it flat? I had a set of door windows made for my harringtons so I would have spares and the local shop shipped them off to be tempered and they now have etching showing they are certified. does he do this?

Warren

Gold forum user
Not flat

Very nice although mine is under the bed and far down on the to do list.
The clamping tension along with the working and flexing of the car would my guess.
Having had convertibles all my life I always hated plastic curtain style windows you can't clean or leave in sun.
The glass windows are very well done by a pro and not some hack. If Lee the glass guy did not think they were a good product I'm sure he would not make em.
He is after all a Tiger caretaker as well and his car is his prototype.
They are not tempered they are as close to AS1 laminated but have no markings. I am amazed that a pin style onto the b post cap has not been tried with loose floating style clamps. Do SL Benz owners have the same problems?
I don't think any of us have gotten our tops together as we are spoiled So. Cal. Fair weather drivers. Bob is the closest to mounting I think.

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
I use my top for all long trips. All the rubber is new and I even use a silicone paste under the pads.....still get marks. I really dont care as cars off of the boat I am sure had the same marks. Nothing like cruising down the road in close to freezing temps with the top on warm as a bug in a rug.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Brrrrrrrrr!

I'm with Duke on this. The pre & post road salt weeks here in the Nor'east can test even the best flannel undies. Marks or no marks, a top is wanted. . . .

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I actually found, in the SII Alpine at least, that the car was warmer with the soft top up and heater on than with the hardtop on. The only reason I could think of was the soft top has a smaller internal area so less space for the heater to warm which might offset the slightly better sealing of the hardtop. Also perhaps the metal of the top and larger perspex area transfers the cold/heat more than the fabric?

I know on cold nights with the heater on in the SII and soft top up i used to crank the window slightly to let in fresh air, with the hardtop on I dont find it quite as warm.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
glass

in years past there were folks using a nova window and cutting it down to fit. this gave the glass the right contour. does he have the contour in what he makes or are they flat?

leepear

Gold forum user
The glass is not enough of a weight factor to be a problem compared to fogging and scratching etc of plastic. It is formed and bent from an original plastic window. Lots of discussions on prior post on tints, weight, blowing out of glass. I prefer the glass and since I had no plastic windows the extra few dollars for the glass was an easy decision. On shipping, since I am doing a good deed I will let Lee the glass guy deal with the shipping if he wants to send it out to you. I will give him the list of shipping folks and he will coordinate payment and shipping if he will do that. I will front the money, pick up the order and coordinate delivery. I am in newport beach. Lee

leepear

Gold forum user
Lets get back to the people interested in the glass. I have two orders so far. Thanks, Lee

Warren

Gold forum user
After meeting in Torrance

If anyone wants to see the finished yet un mounted product I am within 5 miles of the Toyota museum and CAT meeting Sat.

leepear

Gold forum user
Ok last week to get on the list, Friday cutoff. I have four and that is about all Lee can produce. He actually makes windshields that are really expensive or no longer available. If you want to get on the list, please email me at smartpearl1@hotmail.com. Lee

DD (CA)

Gold forum user
CAT Member
+1. You'll have my mail shortly Lee

Agree that visibility will have to trump any other potential deficits. I was pausing because I'm not even sure that the ht will be used anytime soon...

But... I took it off for the first time in more than a decade last night. Ain't that heavy, right. :)

Thank you very much for adding me to the list and note that there will be NO rush for mine should he run into timing issues / multiple runs. Happy to be at the end of the list.

Fwiw I'm in NorCal near Campbell by day.

DD (CA)

Warren

Gold forum user
Please

Contact Cobrakidz, he has a roll bar in my garage in So.Cal. and may get on the window order soon. He is in Folsom,