Fibreglass Hardtop Experience

ozicos

Bronze forum user
Hi all,
Been a while since I last posted.
I have installed a reproduction fibreglass hardtop since my last post (see attached photo). I bought it from a well known company in England.
I had to do a lot of work to the hardtop for it to sit properly. At the back where it sits on the bodywork near the bootlid, it had to be extended as there was a 20mm gap where it would not sit properly. The fixing points did not give me confidence that the hardtop would stay on the car at any great speed. We installed aluminium blocks at the fixing points and installed adjustable snap on mountings.
At the back of the hardtop we made up our own pin mounting brackets (see photo) that slot into the boot hinges.
Am happy with the end result, but if I had known the amount of work required to make it fit properly I probably would not have bought it.

Regards
Cos

Attachments

• IMG_1034.jpg
    IMG_1034.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 390
  • IMG_1037.jpg
    IMG_1037.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG_1038.jpg
    IMG_1038.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG_1039.jpg
    IMG_1039.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 335
  • IMG_1040.jpg
    IMG_1040.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 312

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Good Recovery

Hi all,
Been a while since I last posted.
I have installed a reproduction fibreglass hardtop since my last post (see attached photo). I bought it from a well known company in England.
I had to do a lot of work to the hardtop for it to sit properly. At the back where it sits on the bodywork near the bootlid, it had to be extended as there was a 20mm gap where it would not sit properly. The fixing points did not give me confidence that the hardtop would stay on the car at any great speed. We installed aluminium blocks at the fixing points and installed adjustable snap on mountings.
At the back of the hardtop we made up our own pin mounting brackets (see photo) that slot into the boot hinges.
Am happy with the end result, but if I had known the amount of work required to make it fit properly I probably would not have bought it.

Regards
Cos

Frankly: I think your addressing workmanship is darned nice . . . .

ozicos

Bronze forum user
Eric,
I bought the hardtop from honeybourne mouldings in the UK.
The fasteners I bought from Bunnings Hardware which is like your Home Depot in Australia.

Regards
Cos