Tiger steering wheel nut threads?

eagleman1022

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Wasn't sure where to post his request since it didn't fit any of the headings. I am ready to re-mount the original steering wheel back onto the Tiger, but I'm not pleased with the threads on the nut. I'd like to clean up the threads on the steering shaft and the steering wheel retainer nut, but was wondering if anyone knew exactly what the specs are for those threads. Also, I don't remember if there was a washer between the nut and the steering wheel. I don't think there was, but there seems to be too much up and down play on the steering splines. Any ideas?

eagleman1022

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Tiger steering wheel nut threads - the answer

With the help of many people, including Rick at Sunbeam Specialties, I finally have a good answer to my own question. With a cross-threaded steering*shaft, the steering wheel retaining nut could not be installed to secure the steering wheel. Have no idea how that happened in the 30 years that the car has been apart. I finally ordered a 9/16" - 28 "split" die*(eBay) that fixed the*shaft threads and now the steering wheel is installed securely. With the proper tool the thread repair took only 2 minutes.
Note: a "split" die has a radius cut in the body so the die can be expanded and slipped past damaged end threads and then compressed to 9/16" (in*this case) and threaded OFF the shaft or bolt thus repairing the threads on the ends.

Last edited:

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Chasing Threads

With the help of many people, including Rick at Sunbeam Specialties, I finally have a good answer to my own question. With a cross-threaded steering*shaft, the steering wheel retaining nut could not be installed to secure the steering wheel. Have no idea how that happened in the 30 years that the car has been apart. I finally ordered a 9/16" - 28 "split" die*(eBay) that fixed the*shaft threads and now the steering wheel is installed securely. With the proper tool the thread repair took only 2 minutes.
Note: a "split" die has a radius cut in the body so the die can be expanded and slipped past damaged end threads and then compressed to 9/16" (in*this case) and threaded OFF the shaft or bolt thus repairing the threads on the ends.

Various forms of thread chasers have been around for decades, quite often used by truck mechs on floating rear axles. We made up a fully split set for the axles in Tigers that seem to get butchered often when pulling (or trying to) the hubs.