Tailpipe question

norm1

Gold forum user
CAT Member
My headers are out for ceramic coating so I am mocking up my exhaust system. Using 2" tubing

Would someone with an original system, please supply me with 2 measurements?

Rear body flange down to the top of the exhaust tip..... I'm guessing 1"

Rear body flange back to the end/top of the exhaust tip...... I'm guessing 4 1/2"

The fun part will be from the header thru the frame pass through. I have to raise up about .75" and out about 1.25" within about 3" of length. I will have to weld the mating flange on in place or pull the engine after fitting to weld.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Tiger

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Answering the unanswered....

(See attached diagram.) These measurements are from my 1965 Mk1, purchased in 1973. The exhaust system is now ready for replacement and/or upgrade. I've always wondered whether the chrome angle tips were stock or added by the previous owner. I've found two Tiger advertisements showing angled tips, and none with straight-cut tips. Personally, I like the look and the way they hug the lower body, only 1/2" below the pinch welded flange. Anyone with more knowledge on this subject may make corrections to my post, however when replaced, the new tips will duplicate what I have now. As I said....I like the look!

Tiger - Exhaust Tip to Body Reference.jpg

Last edited:

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The stock tiger exhaust had the angled tips and as mentioned the ends were chromed, directly on the pipe not as a clip on.

SunbeamTgr

Silver forum user
CAT Member
AND that plating ran about halfway up the trunk floor pan towards the differential.
Gary Haslip

Franchi

Silver forum user
Also, if you do use a slip on chrome tip, the original tips had an approx. 20° angle slash, not the standard 45° slash
which 99% of replacement tips have.

David

Tiger

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Interesting.... Thanks for the information. Since mine do have the add-on chrome tips, my tailpipes were evidently changed before 1973.