Rootes racing posters from 1964

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Visallia dodge boys alpine

Great posters Steve, alpines did wave the sunbeam flag in scca proudly.

Like the team kit :cool:

21915125946_65055be6c4_k.jpg

21753425578_929160cf6c_h.jpg

Sunbeam74

Bronze forum user
Yes, roughly 20x30 posters. They were intended to be hung in the dealership windows to promote the success. I'm just guessing there are probably 2-3 more versions of these posters.

steve

Sunbeam74

Bronze forum user
As a side note, technically, each poster is off by one win... at Cumberland early in the season Don came in 2nd to Brooks Noah in the Lotus 7. However, somebody protested Noah's car. (not Don) As it turned out the Lotus was found to have some infraction and I believe forfeited the win. I assume that was the process.

Don actually wrapped up the year with 6 wins - I think the SCCA only counted the 5 best races in determining National champion. Regardless, Five wins were enough to lock up the championship by August.

Steve

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
one off

Yes, and the first poster Michael posted has a picture of Lew Spencer driving the Tiger at Tucson, not Willow Springs.

Sunbeam74

Bronze forum user
Oddly, Rootes' marketing had a tendency to use whatever photo they had on file regardless of the venue relevance in the story. For the poster announcing Don's national championship in the Alpine in '64 they used a photo of the old Series I Alpine at Bridgehampton from 1963.

I would guess these were printed just a couple days after the actual race and then distributed as quickly as possible to the dealerships.